Florida fall camp update

The Florida Gators are practicing. They need it.

First scrimmage was yesterday, and the usual good news/bad news type stuff. Arizona State transfer WR Pearsall hurt his foot, which had some in a panic as he had a great spring and we were looking for him to contribute to a less than impressive WR corps. He is day to day, but he is expected to be available for the first game.

The team is moving into their new digs even as I type. Way cool for them. Still some finishing touches needed, but a huge step in the facility wars on Florida’s part.

Supposedly, Anthony Richardson is looking more polished as a passer, but his back up, Ohio State transfer Jack Miller is also doing good things. Both did good things and some bad things in the scrimmage I understand.

RB room is looking good, but again, it all depends on the OL, and well…hoo boy. They apparently had trouble blocking our DT’s…ouch.

Defense might surprise this year, Or at least be better, and I say this as we do not have that complete idiot, Todd Grantham, as DC. I could do better than he did.

It has actually been a banner couple of weeks for UF. Recruiting is on fire. So far Napier is doing all the right things, but…

RR

Thanks, RR.

I hope Pearsall is back… for Game 2. He’s a quality WR, technically sound, one of those guys who knows how to get open in any zone D and knows how to get coverage guys on the wrong foot so he can get separation. My hunch is Pearsall will get some quality receptions at key moments. That’s what he did in the PAC. Quality pickup for you guys.

Not surprising the OL is struggling against athletic DTs, especially this early, with a new offense & new coaches. The OL choreography takes time - our OL looked like garbage the first 3 games last year - a lot of youth that struggled with complex pressure.

In researching Diabate and his career in Gainesville, he was originally recruited as a speed rusher but ended up at OL in the previous regime’s 3-4. Sounds like things went bad under the previous DC overall, but if Mahamoud wanted more action, going from a 3-4 to our 4-2-5 is the way to get it. From what I read you guys didn’t have a lot of movement on D, and the DTs got beat up in league play, which is never a good sign.

What kind of scheme is the new DC bringing?

3 Likes

Hopfully, the scheme is better than what Gator fans called, “3rd and Grantham”. I will let you know what I know, but it will be a bit tighter coverage than what that idiot did.

RR

Diabate is a good player. Some think he had issues, especially on counter plays as he seeme out of position most of the time but frankly, his talents were wasted on the previous coaching staff. Dameon Pierce is a good example of that. Mullen hardly used what was our best RB. What a dolt.

RR

2 Likes

We have two co Dc’s actually. Sean Spencer and Patrick Toney. Toney is one Napier brought with him from Lousiana. Spencer was with the NY Giants before being hired at UF.

I have some kind of PTSD with hearing coach speak from new coaches. I have heard this before. But I do think UF will be better than before. It will take a while, but I have a feeling this Napier guy isn’t messing around.

AS far as schemes, to quote the coaches, “get off the field on 3rd down”. That would be a novelty at UF lately.

RR

3 Likes

We’ll have him coached up to where you won’t recognize him.

1 Like

Hard to know without watching some film, but maybe he was trying to play hero ball, since the D was struggling and there was intensely bad vibes of frustration directed toward Grantham and anyone on that side of the ball.

He’s getting quality reps in camp, so far, and his dad is a college professor, so I’m optimistic. Nobody expects perfection here, but the season Devin Lloyd (and Nephi Sewell) had here will be a tough act to follow. Intercepting screen passes in the endzone doesn’t happen every game, or season, or even every decade.

3 Likes

Your synopsis reminds me of our years of OL issues. We had decent to good, even great skill players, but w/o the OL doing its job well we had trouble.

I’m definitely looking forward to the game. I suspect it will set up both of our seasons, for better or for worse.

4 Likes

It seems that these games played early in the season in Florida, Louisiana and elsewhere are always in danger of getting delayed or canceled because of tropical storms. Hopefully that wont be an issue this year

4 Likes

I hope you’re right. I’m going to that game.

2 Likes

You are quite correct. Florida’s recruiting and play at the OL position has been sub standard. I will not miss the previous coaching staff at all, and I will leave it at that.

I don’t believe I really answered the question about Florida’s defensive scheme, and to be honest the actual finished product is yet to be revealed, but you can assume that with Toney coming from Lousiana with Napier, it will look similar to the Ragin Cajuns’ style. Here is a You tube video of a break down of that defense. Just fast forward to the minute mark as the guy, who I find a tad irritating, is just babbling about other things.

RR

That is always a danger this time of year in the tropics. Just regular thunderstorms, due to the lighting, have caused issues, but let’s hope that is not the case this year.

RR

A little more for you about Florida from Saturday Down South.

Not as optimistic on our OL franky. The possibility of being 1-3 at the end of September is scary, but it certainly could happen.

RR

One more on Florida and I will leave it be for a while. This seems to be the consensus about our season from the talking heads, which is 6-6. Certainly possible. If is a Facebook post, so I hope this works.

RR

3 Likes

Turning to the DL:

Desmond Watson could be a mighty force for Florida at nose, but he came into camp at 410 pounds ...

Woah, that is a big dude.

2 Likes

Sounds a lot like a former Utah player that ended up on a milk carton. Kid had talent, but couldn’t achieve a proper playing weight, not to mention the health risks of carrying around that much weight.

If he sees the field this season at all, it is likely it won’t happen until maybe mid season.

Thanks for stopping by!
We wish you, your team and it’s fans a spirited game without malice or unsportsmanship.
Go Utes!

7 Likes

Seems that most Gators on GatorCountry are concerned about the strength and depth of both of their lines. If their OL is shaky then Fillinger, Pututau, Tafuna and Suguturaga are going to present a formidable challenge for them. Richardson may find himself running for his life.

6 Likes

That is the concern. No matter how fancy you want to be, the game is determined at the line of scrimmage and Florida has been lacking in that area, especially on the OL. Now, there is talent there, but basically no depth. So yes, Richardson could find himself on the run a lot. While he does have a good set of wheels, that is not want we want to see really.

RR

4 Likes

Carlos Lozano?