ESPN reporting Lincoln Riley will leave Oklahoma for USC

Nonsense. I watch college football for my entertainment. I regret nothing. Besides, who I cheer for on my couch has absolutely no bearing on the outcome of the game.

4 Likes

For the good of the PAC 12, there is only one thing left to do…

2 Likes

OMG…logic! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Having lived there, I can totally picture the type of person to be offended by that. Good thing you didn’t call it some part of a whale’s anatomy, they may have banished you to Goleta for life.

2 Likes

We know this, but easterners haven’t a clue. They still think you can’t get a drink in Utah.

I think “Park City” is the Austin of Utah. SLC is the Houston of Utah. :wink:

2 Likes

hopefully that LA home has a Casita out back where OJ lives rent free and frequently gardens nude

7 Likes

ew.

What “private jet”?

I certainly hope it’s not an omen, but LR’s first picture in Trojan gear is on an airport tarmac.

FTFO!

2 Likes

Nah. It’s gotta be a capital city with a major university, a symphony, a ballet company, etc. Park City is a great place. Maybe the Austin of Summit County.

2 Likes

I think the Aspen scenes on “Dumb and Dumber” were filmed in Park City.

1 Like

Austin is vastly overrated with douchebag hipsters and out-of-state people. Is that Park City?

For the record, I enjoy Austin but it is nowhere near as cool as San Antonio and Houston.

Probably belongs here more than PAC12 coaches thread, but this Riley and Kelly news (and the waterfall of other moves) just is ridiculous. And the money being thrown around is stupid money (including Tucker and Franklin).

The timing is what bothers me the most. Kelly leaves when they at least have a NY6 bowl and potentially CFP? OU missed their CCG, so I can get the timing a little better there but OU still has a NY6 bowl chance. I guess like some top players, unless it’s CFP, it’s just exhibition and fine to leave/sit out for future.

This is probably a unique year because it was post-pandemic. There wasn’t a lot of coaching moves after just a very strange year. So this year was the time to move on (e.g. Helton, Coach O., etc.). Seems like 10 years of ~$10M each year is the trend (+ buyouts to outgoing coaches + perks like houses and jet time).

This settles down if they get rid of the early signing period Dec 15-17. The timing is a race to get recruits excited about the new coaches, get previously verbally committed guys to follow the coaches that recruited them, not the school. It’s probably better for the athlete and coach with the way the system is set up (because athletes get ‘stuck’ while coaches are free to roam). But I think they need to just go back to NLI in Feb ONLY. It’d be nice if they also didn’t allow coach hiring until a certain time (e.g. after bowls) similar to NFL, but that won’t/can’t happen with each school doing what they want and NCAA having no teeth anymore to do anything schools/conferences don’t want.

1 Like

The early signing period just passed. So, you are going to see this more. Coaches need to get to the new program and get a full two months of recruiting in.

I could be wrong, but isn’t the early signing period Dec 15-17 this year?

As of 2017, college football also has an early signing period in late December, meaning recruits now have the opportunity to sign with their college team over a month before National Signing Day.[1] While many recruits utilize this early process, a significant number of the nation’s top-rated recruits opt to wait until February to sign with their teams, either because they have not yet made a decision or desire to announce their decision to the fanfare and media coverage typically reserved for National Signing Day.

I guess the top recruits do wait until Feb for NLI but some will officially commit early and get it done so I’m sure schools/coaches don’t want to miss anyone (or have their favorite sign with them only for them to leave soon after).

Crap you are right. I was thinking hoops. That even makes more sense. You got two weeks before early signing and a couple months before February signing.

1 Like

Having lived in Houston, and spent a lot of time in Austin and San Antonio, I can assure you your opinion is EXTREMELY incorrect.

5 Likes

Lived in Austin, albeit 15 years ago. I know Austin has gotten worse, but SA is so blah. Now between the two has Schlitterbahn, the Outlets (my mother loves them), and Lockhart BBQ.

Houston is just the sweaty animal crotch of America. There are a few cool things there just because of sheer size and due to some cool immigrant communities, but for being one of the largest cities in America, it rivals Phoenix as being super-sprawled meh. Plus it’s built horribly for hurricane risk and the chemical/oil environmental justice issues are a mess.

4 Likes

Pretty sure my opinion is correct. It’s my opinion.

Houston and SA are vastly superior to Austin. Remember though, I prefer Mexicans and Black folk more than hipsters from Buffalo who want to discuss film. San Antonio is a beautiful city and has a great Mexican culture that is void in Austin. Houston is amazing. Best food city in Texas.

For the record (and this may answer why I prefer those cities) I also love Atlanta, Memphis, New Orleans and Birmingham over some of the cities like Nashville and Ashville. I was raised in areas that were “outright dangerous” lol.

Definitely in agreement with you regarding food in Houston. I lived in DFW for ~20 years – definitely prefer the food scene in Houston.

My family reunion on Mom’s father’s side is in Dallas/Denton half of the time and the other half in Galveston/Houston. Dallas has a very Chamber of Commerce/Office Park vibe. That said, one of my favorite Vegan spots is near Dealey Plaza.