ESPN reporting Lincoln Riley will leave Oklahoma for USC

Well, if you know your history, the Bakersfield area is filled with Okies who left during the dust bowl to start farming and oil wells. Bakersfield is filled with Christian radio stations, country music, and a funny accent.

It’s an awful part of California. Very weird.

1 Like

Nobody likes to see USC so pathetically bad.

In BYU’s great victory last night (cough) it was embarrassing to see USC get a substitution penalty, backed up at their own 10 because a defensive player coming out couldn’t muster enough energy to jog off the field.

(How many idiot Y fans already paid for lodging and tickets in Vegas because they actually believed the “PAC Champs” horse ■■■■. You know they’re out there.)

8 Likes

My Godfather was an ex-Hell’s Angel cocaine dealer from Tulsa. Part native from Tulsa area and loved the Sooners. I was born in Valencia but my infant years were spent up on the grape vine near Magic Mountain. My dad’s family moved from Alabama to Bakersfield and that’s where my Californian Mom met my Alabama Dad. I am very familiar with how “redneck as hell” that area actually is in real life. Great music coming out of there though.

1 Like

I like the cut of your jib…

1 Like

My grandfather moved out to LA from Oklahoma. My mom was the only child in her class at school who had a parent born in California (my grandmother).

The gold rush never really abated.

1 Like

I’m relieved USC didn’t land Fickell or Aranda. Riley doesn’t concern me like those two

1 Like

Designating an area as “blue” is not really of any consequence in this state, since the legislature will divide those areas up in such a way as to dilute any influence.

15 Likes

As a SoCal from San Bernardino-tucky, all “Grapes of Wrath” stuff is nice; but the drive from a number of other Tucky’s to LA is a lot easier than rolling in from Bakers’neck.

And for the record, more Okies rolled into the Tucky’s for ag jobs than Bakers’neck.

Yeah but none of them wrote something like this (I am from the IE land of Tucky’s):

2 Likes

I hate that. I’m kind of a moderate Republican, but I felt that same thing in reverse in California. it’s not good for anyone except those who are preserving their power by doing it.

1 Like

They are trying to wear you down @LAUte. Beware of any extremely large “seed” pods on your porch. :wink:

3 Likes

I posted this in another thread yet it belongs here.

I’ve been talking today to my wife’s cousin. Her brother is in deep as a Sooner booster. She had a zoom call today with the family back in Norman. They had not heard, yet don’t believe Riley is leaving and this SC story is BS. I’m remember Urban Meyer leaving Utah. He denied it I think the day he was gone. So…who knows, maybe Riley is working OU for more coin.

1 Like

2 Likes

ESPN reported that Stoops is coming back to coach Oklahoma in whatever bowl game they have.
Riley is gone.

1 Like

Dude, your backstory is worthy of a Hollywood movie. Or maybe a series on HBO.

1 Like

Nah. Most families have weird backstories. You just gotta ask for the info.

2 Likes

The Rolling Stones were into the Bakersfield sound. Far Away Eyes is a classic that accurately describes living in the armpit of California.

Yeah, I lived there for awhile, managing a company. It made me sad, as I am from Santa Barbara.

6 Likes

No.

Who cares about Pac pub? Answer: a good many folks on here. They will regret cheering for USC or Oregon because “it is good for the conference.”

1 Like

You like money don’t you? Wait until the bidding war starts between ESPN and Fox. Utah gets that money too

FTFO!

3 Likes