ESPN 700 interview with Bryson Barnes

Quite a moment for Bryson.

https://espn700sports.com/utes/bryson-barnes-rose-bowl-postgame-1-1-22/?s=09

1 Like

Published on Feb. 2, 2020, excerpt:

On Wednesday’s National Signing Day, Barnes announced he was choosing the latter, as he accepted a preferred walk-on offer from Utah, with Utah State and Southern Utah being the other finalists.

The biggest reason was that I wanted to go put myself in a position to compete at the highest level,” he told the Deseret News by phone on Wednesday. “It was like, ‘Do I chase my dream of going and playing for a big Power Five FBS school, or do I chase the scholarship and go down lower?’ I didn’t want to sell myself short.”

Barnes was understanding of the fact that coming from a town of about 1,500 people, coaches at bigger college programs likely felt it wouldn’t be worth their time to give him a close evaluation, but he’s confident in his abilities moving forward.

“I know I can compete with other athletic kids,” he said. “An athlete’s an athlete, whether he’s going to (California national powerhouse) De La Salle or he’s sitting down here in Milford.”

Emphasis added: He has done that.

I posted this link in another FB thread. In here I have a series of articles on Barnes, who set all kinds of state records as QB but from 1A Milford. The reason why I am so interested in Barnes is because from 1975 to 1979 I did a lot of my geophysics field work out of Milford. The town now is unrecognizable from the days when I lived there off and on for two to three months each summer.

Utah Football Team Website:

I missed that he saw action against Weber State and Colorado. I think just a play or two.

1 Like