Dairy Cougs vs. Another Type of Cat Chat

That ASU win is starting to look pretty good this morning don’t you think?

We’ve heard for years from BYU fans that the fact that P12 teams beat up on each other every year means the conference as a whole is terrible.

Funny how that changed this year.

4 Likes

Yup. There’s lot of rhetoric going both ways. I’m just excited that BYU is 16-1 over the last two season’s. You can argue that we’ve played a lot of chumps (rightfully so), but it’s still nice to be on the winning side more often than not.

I expect we will be seeing the “We Want 'Bama” signs very soon.

3 Likes

That’s funny. :joy: There might be some fans thinking that, but right now, I’m trying to enjoy the moment.

Of course they’re talking about it. It’s a legitimately fun thing to speculate about especially when you’re undefeated. TA is having a fantastic season. What a great year for a kid who had no offers out of high school and came to BYU as a walk-on linebacker. If utah was undefeated right now, I imagine there would be similar speculation on utefans.net and on Twitter.

I think I’ll just enjoy the 5-0 record and the top 10 ranking in the AP poll while I can. As I look at the schedules for both schools I think the month of October is going to be tough for both.

What a great time to be a BYU fan. 5-0 record, top 10 ranking, recent invitation into a P5 conference. Built for life doing great things for our student athletes for NIL.

We were ranked 3rd or 4th a few years ago at about this time of the season. I seem to recall that we were excited, but not overly optimistic about getting into the playoff. Then the team found a way to lose 2 or 3 games, I don’t remember if we were even ranked at the end of the season.

Don’t get too high, don’t get too low. Although your Cougs may have a better chance than we did at the time. If it happens, great for you guys. Enjoy the ride while you can, it can be fleeting.

2 Likes

Among every fanbase is a huge continuum of fans of all stripes. The thing that cracks me up reading the posts here is that if you reduced the frequency of the posts that include something about having an adult beverage - what you hear from Utah fans is very similar to what you hear from BYU fans. And it’s the same stuff you hear from every other fan base. Right down to some BYU fans calling USU the “Dairy Utes” and some Utah fans apparently calling them the “Dairy Cougs”.

You can say that 4-5 years ago when Utah was ranked in the top 10 about this time of the season you don’t recall being optimistic about getting into the playoffs - but I was out to dinner one Saturday night that year and the 3 Ute fans in the booth next to us were nearly certain Utah would win the South, win the PAC12, would be in the playoffs, and were discussing who they wanted to play first.

I just smiled - that was a pretty good Utah team, and it’s possible they could get in. But there were a lot of games left, and it didn’t work out for them.

Honestly - as a BYU fan, I’m still somewhat skeptical. I’m enjoying the wins in the moment - but it feels like a house of cards that could come crashing down until I see consistency over multiple seasons. Playing Alabama would be fun - it’s always fun to play good teams - but I’d go into it expecting a BYU loss.

BSU destroyed USU - but the score was in no way indicative of the game. USU out-gained the Broncos in yards - but couldn’t get out of their own way as far as scoring points. I will be interesting to see which BSU team and which BYU team show up this week - nothing would surprise me (either team in a blow-out or either team close).

That aside - I’ll ride the wave of enjoying the wins for now.

1 Like

I would like to remind you publicly that I have been posting here since last March on a fairly consistent basis. I didn’t just jump on this board right after we won. If you also remember, back then, the odds of BYU winning the Rivalry game didn’t look very good.

I would also like to add that this is a thread designed to talk about the BYU Cougars.

You’re not a zoob @wingnut. You’re actually pretty sane, and can carry on a conversation. I haven’t seen any histrionics out of your posts.

2 Likes

Point of reference: I started the thread because I was hoping USU would play inspired football and expose you guys. That did not occur, yet remarkable athleticism was on display by both teams. I thought it was a fun college game and I love the wagon wheel too.
Enjoy your success and your journey.

That said, the game is over and I personally look forward to not talking about BYU for at least another couple of years or so.

3 Likes

This sad sentiment is why this is my last post on this site even after winning the coveted

New User of the Month award for September 2021

While I’ve appreciated your comments and you seem like a decent enough dude/dudette, the fact that you’re going to storm off in a huff over the lightest of criticisms is kinda hilarious.

wellbye.gif

5 Likes

You left out the part where they dumped their beer on you and urinated on your 7 yr old son.

9 Likes

I understand this award got you a gift certificate to Diamond Lil’s. Hope you had a good dinner.

5 Likes

You and your silly data…

One thing I still haven’t seen, but predict I will, is the statement “the universe is now back in order, byu has assumed their rightful place in the rivalry”

4 Likes

@NewbombTurk Ok. I’ll help you out.

“the universe is now back in order, BYU has assumed their rightful place in the Rivalry”

Feel better? Can we hug it out now?

3 Likes

Buh Bye. Glad you stopped by for a visit. Stay healthy and safe.

2 Likes

That was funny, I don’t care who you are.

Really, it was funny. I had a good chuckle.

5 Likes