COVID-19 Discussion (No Politics)

U of U Health is gearing up to do drive-up testing.

Over the phone, the patients will be directed to the tents outside of the hospital, Wilets said, or be told to drive to an urgent care center, where a doctor in personal protective equipment will walk over to their car and test them without them having to get out of the driver’s seat. They will then be instructed to drive home, where they are to remain while they wait for the test results.

1 Like

you should check these stats before just throwing them out as valid.

4 Likes

Folks in the hospital world call those patients “the worried well.”

Still not true. Just quit lying about what I posted, please.

2 Likes

Interesting information here. My father was actually alive at this time — he was five years old. He had already survived cerebral meningitis as a baby, and I wonder what my grandmother thought about how this epidemic it might affect her little boy.

A couple of things about COVID-19.

1- It’s highly contagious. The early numbers seem to bear that concern is real.

2- There is no vaccination for it. Unlike the flu and a number of other highly contagious diseases, we have no way to immunize the public - especially the at-risk populations, from getting the disease. The spread will be the spread, however big it may get.

This is what is driving the scare. I will let the old Army NBC guys quote the “Pathogen Playbook” here for trying to control the spread. This really is a numbers game and the fewer people that get exposed, especially the at-risk, the lower the disability and mortality rates will be.

1 Like

Another attribute is incubation for CorVid19 is between 2 to 14 days (one report said up to 27 days). During this period, no symptoms are manifest in the carrier. That means all who are in contact with the carrier, unwittingly, may be infected and also capable of spreading the virus.

That attribute could cause widespread suspicion.

1 Like

National Guard called in to contain virus outbreak in New Rochelle, NY

That’s probably a more accurate comparison than not. Virtually all of the reported COVID 19 cases are “treated”, while the vast majority included in the more inclusive flu stats are not. Still I will admit it’s early in the process for COVID 19 so the numbers will change Almost every day new information comes out.

This is an interesting epidemiological study. For example why the hot spot in Italy? Most of the US exposures can be followed, but why the cases in Washington?

Some concerning points. The ability for the virus to display no symptoms and the host to remain an active vector is interesting. Also not sure how accurate the test is. It appears like there are some false positives and at least one case where an individual tested negative and was released only to test positive later.

If you are in a high risk group you might want to consider adding some zinc and selenium to you regime. Those are active ingredients in prophylaxis treatments like airborne (my wife and I use that while travelling and it seems to help). Also one report I read suggest one reason the province in China was hit so hard was the area was selenium deficient.

One physician also suggested added some T cell boosters like Holy Basil (Dr. Oz. Suggested elderberry extract)

“Dr” Oz is a quack and anybody that follows his advice needs an evaluation themselves

6 Likes

No feces! How many bogus diet pills or supplements does he have to endorse before he vanishes from the airwaves and public view.

6 Likes

927 cases and 29 deaths in US. New cases have doubled since Sunday.

In Italy number of cases went from 100 to 10,000 in 16 days

On a sports note, the NCAA has to be considering some fan-less options for March Madness

Not really a militarily significant pathogen.

1. Not virulent enough.
  2. Too much variability in infectious routes.
  3. Seems to target the wrong segment of the population. Better left to the civilian side.
1 Like

Hence the reason I qualified the source. There is some clinical evidence for Zinc and Selenium promoting immune systems. The Basil recommendation came from a local Dr. In an article. I certainly wouldn’t substitute these supplements for actual treatment, but if your looking for a proactive step, probably better than buying a pallet of water or cases of toilet paper.

I’m sure our military can “work” on its DNA.

They have studied the related viruses of Sars and Mers, more on the clinical side.

It seems that the concern is this disease is contagious before people are symptomatic (maybe for days) and then, even when they’re symptomatic, it may not stop them from what they need to do (or want to do).
I believe with both MERS and SARS and certainly the flu… all one wants to do is go home and go to bed. COVID19 seems to be so much more insidious. I fear that the numbers are going to be pretty overwhelming pretty quickly.
For the first time in our lives, it might come down to the ratio of available beds for the 20% who absolutely need a hospital bed, or even worse, a ventilator.
I believe that’s what’s occurring in Italy right now.
This is just for discussion. I certainly would love to be wrong about this. But I think we can all agree now that it’s not “a hoax.”

Also the old saw: “you can’t manage what you can’t measure.” We need to test anyone with symptoms. We need to test people who are asymptomatic but in emerging or hot zones. We need to keep testing people until we have an actual calculation of the penetration, spread and mortality.

Meanwhile, what’s up with buying toilet paper in this state? Holy crap!

2 Likes

As of about 10 days ago, one South Korean company had more tests created than the US possessed overall - they jumped all over this. The NY Times had an excellent edition of their Podcast “The Daily” that described a big part of the problem in China is Communist Party appointed local public health officials who were reluctant to fully report cases, as it didn’t look good. This spun out of control quickly and brought China’s economy to a halt, in Hunan, at least. Trying to protect the government with under reported data blew up in their faces. (They’ve since taken extreme measures to halt the outbreak.)

North Korea may not have any cases because their country and economy are already essentially “quarantined”.

I don’t know what the situation was in Italy, but their genetics are pretty distinct from the Chinese population, to the extent population genetics vary and are applicable with this disease. African countries would seem to be vulnerable, as they have underdeveloped public health programs, and in many areas, poor hygiene. It remains to be seen, but if they avoid it, maybe something unique in the “African genome” - such as near zero amounts of Neanderthal DNA - is somehow a factor.

At the U we’re taking very aggressive steps to avoid an outbreak - all official travel is cancelled, and even personal travel outside the state is discouraged. Stanford ended their semester early, as did UW (obviously) and some other schools in the NW.

Hang on.

6 Likes