COVID-19 Discussion (No Politics)

Lost taste and smell today. So that’s fun.

1 Like

We just came back from a conference in Austin and virtually no one, anywhere was wearing a mask.
We wore a mask out and certainly through the airport also during the lectures with virtually no one wearing masks
Apparently Covid is over…
Hope you are much better soon

1 Like

Yikes, that’s no fun!!! A good friend had it a few months ago, and lost his sense of taste and smell, but both completely returned after several weeks - get better quickly!!

2 Likes

It’s not over. It’s just not as scary as it initially as. It’s endemic now, like the flu.

3 Likes

The biggest part is that it’s not novel anymore. 95%+ now have some level of antibodies due to vaccines, catching it, or being exposed to it. There are still vulnerable parts of the population, but we arlso have some treatments to keep more people alive through it.

2 Likes

Thats well and good, but its still a weird and vicious disease with a vascular/multi system potentiality. Anecdotally, I know of a number of otherwise healthy folks who suffered - and still suffer - from chronic, maybe perminant challenges.

It’s not a character building experience. I’m amazed I havent gotten it yet - and within reason - will endeavor to avoid it.

3 Likes

This is my biggest fear.

I’m a relatively young (48), relatively fit (non-smoker, non-drinker who runs 15-20 miles a week), not obese (6’, 205), vaxxed and boosted person with no risk factors (otherwise healthy) and this has pretty much floored me over the last couple days. What if this cough doesn’t go away? What if my taste and smell don’t come back? What if I’m always winded walking up stairs? What if the brain fog doesn’t clear?

These things are weighing on me, ngl.

5 Likes

Yours are both great reminders of why it’s still important to do your best to avoid this disease. Most of the people that I know who have had it, at least the most recent variant, have come through it relatively unscathed, but most were sick enough that they would never want to have it again.

Anecdotally, I have a neighbor, near our farmhouse in southern Idaho, a formerly healthy 68 year-old retiree, who had it in the fall of 2020. He suffered pretty dramatically for a month or so, but avoided hospitalization. He has, however, never fully recovered, and has had one significant health problem after another. In early August, he called to say that his health problems had become so overwhelming that he was no longer able to cut my lawn for me, even with his grandson’s help

It is horrible to see what has happened to him. And while some of the health issues he’s had may be coincidental, he is convinced that they are ALL a result of COVID.

4 Likes

The odds are in your favor. Kudos for doing the work.
Usually the healthier one is the better the recovery. But I do know of an otherwise healthy adult in his early 30’s with a similar profile who was fully vaxed and died.
Very strange disease.

2 Likes

Most sane board mods would have locked it 24 months ago and forced it to new threads.

Not saying we have one.

I’m impressed with how well the software handles it though. Old-school message board technology would have choked a long time ago.

I think I need to go get a booster AND flu shot ASAP. Only had the one booster last November. Going to a small conference (few dozen people) in early October. I may mask even if I mask alone.

1 Like

We came back home from an expedition in Alaska and that night our teenage high-schooler tested positive for Covid. He had cough and flu/cold-like symptoms for 2 weeks before he tested negative.

Weirdly enough, neither me nor my wife got it.
We got initially vaccinated, then contracted it about a year ago or so, and then had two boosters - one in Nov '21, and one in Apr '22.

Neither of us tested positive (we did so twice), neither of us had any major enough symptoms to think we might be going through another round of it.

It’s hard for me to believe that my body is now that resistant to it, seeing as how when we got it initially about a year ago it crushed us for 3 weeks. But the vaccine and the boosters did their trick, apparently.

We are alive. And thriving.

Hang in there Skiny, it’ll get better.

EDIT: How long ago did the Omicron booster come out? I’m wondering if I should go back for a 3rd booster.

1 Like

We just got the new booster a week before travel to a conference, and since we had to swim through crowds of unmasked people (we wore masks except to eat and converse in packed restaurants) No Covid yet.
Most PhD Immunologist are smart enough to make a lot more money with their native intelligence, work ethic and altruism than creating effective vaccines.

This is interesting. I’m a regular mouthwash user and now I feel vindicated, sort of.

2 Likes

I am personally (anecdotally) convinced that I have managed to avoid COVID thus far as a result of my slight overuse of nasal steroids (which I am prescribed and typically use only in the spring and in the fall) . I have made it a point during COVID, to use a small amount of the drug, regardless of season, whenever I thought I “MIGHT” have been exposed to the virus.

My mother, wife, son, MIL, and many friends around me have all suffered thru COVID, but not I (at least not yet :slight_smile: ). This is not statistically meaningful of course, but I’d like to think that I’m accidentally on to something.

2 Likes

Steroids!? As a result of this kind of performance enhancing behavior, you should never expect to be voted in to the Hall of Fame.

3 Likes

Vic’s Vapo rub. The ■■■■’s amazing…

3 Likes

Looks around…remembers case of steroid psychosis from taking prednisone for Bell’s Palsy…wonders if @salUTE’s posting performance is “enhanced” by the drug…

Board admins…do we need to get WADA involved here? :wink:

2 Likes

Been three weeks since I got COVID. I finally started feeling back to normal this week with no cough, no aches, taste and smell came back, and I’m not constantly exhausted. I decided to pick up my running where I left off. Or…maybe not.

• Pre-COVID I was running 3.1 miles, five times a week, at a pace of around 9:05/mile.
  • Post-COVID, I have only been able to run 2.5 miles max (and even that was brutal), four times this week, at a pace of around 9:50/mile.

I’m running at about the same pace I was last December/January. So in essence, two weeks of COVID has simply wiped out over 9 months of fitness gains. I feel like I have no endurance at all and can’t catch my breath. That’s incredibly frustrating.

Hopefully it recovers quickly, but this week has been disappointing, to say the least. I guess I should just be grateful that I’m still upright enough to run at all. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

A very good friend with whom I cycle frequently, who is 59, had COVID in May. We were training for a longish gravel ride in early September, and continued to ride together throughout the summer.

He had mild COVID symptoms for about a week, and took two more weeks off of riding following COVID as he still felt lung congestion and had a slight cough.

After three weeks he started riding again, had clearly taken a performance hit, but within about two weeks he was back to his previous fitness level, except that for most of the summer, anytime he was riding at close to max rate, he would start to have a little tickle in his lungs and slight cough. It didn’t really slow him too much or last long, but was mostly just very frustrating.

By August, the tickle/cough was gone and he is completely back to normal.

I hope you are completely back to normal within a very short time. Most healthy/active people who are vaxxed and boosted usually are. Hang in there.

6 Likes

After 3+ years with utmost precautions, I finally acquired Covid a week or so ago.
Hard to say when symptoms started, as I felt run-down most of last week with a headache on Friday. Saturday and Sunday in bed with fevers positive test on Monday. Have been without a cough and sore throat/fever went away with Paxlovid. “Faucet face” remained till this morning. No Brain fog, but lingering central head-ache. In the beginning of the disease I had flue symptoms and severe brain-fog for about 2 days. Was convinced I had it (because we were all in panic mode…) but both my rapid x 2 and a PCR were negative. I’ve never had brain fog before and I never want it again. I hope that’s not what dementia feels like…
Can’t go back to work yet, because I work with immune compromised folks. Thinking about how lucky I am and how many have passed or remain with compromised health effects.
No idea where I got it. Still wear a mask going out and every-day at work. My wife has had 2 negative tests and no symptoms despite close proximity and a small home.
Strange disease.

5 Likes