Conference Championshlp Game 2021: Utah vs. Oregon

It sounds like attendance is going to be much better than any of the championships at Levi’s Stadium.

4 Likes

I guess we will see if they can flip the switch. I think Rising’s leadership is evident. I think Covey’s is clear as well (and he has been part of the spankings). Even if they are favored by a few points, they are still #17 vs. #10 Oregon and know it’s because of earlier in the season. They still have a lot to prove and I think they huddle and get re-pumped to do it for TJ AL. This is a special team that has faced stuff no other teams have.

But we will have to see it on the field. I hope it’s another punch them in the mouth and keep the foot on the gas, but if it’s a come from behind rally or even if Oregon just outplays us, I will be proud of everything they have accomplished this year. But, lets’ be clear. I want them to win. I think they can win. I think they will win. I think the coaches have a good plan. It’s on the players to execute.

1 Like

So you’re telling me that I don’t have to wear those knee socks with the red stripes. For the record, they are undefeated. ASU, UCLA, Oregon, Colorad9.

1 Like

It’s only weird if it doesn’t work.

2 Likes

wear them please…

1 Like

I see what is happening as the program finally growing up. The game against Oregon this year showed that when the spotlight is on them, national TV, the Rose Bowl at stake, and all that, they could come out and just kick the other team around. It was great. That’s what makes me think that this time they will be there to do the job with the right “swagger” and all of that.

I do disagree that they have a history of winning “big” games, at least during the PAC-12 era. They have won quite a few, no doubt. But any fan who’s been paying attention has to understand that there is some legitimate nervousness about the team’s performance in significant matchups where they are supposed to either win, or play close. It hasn’t been great until this season’s Oregon game.

I’m differentiating from underdog games like the 2008 Sugar Bowl. The TCU beatdown was too long ago to matter now, but it does leave a scar. That was number five against number four, college game day, and all the rest.

The loss to Colorado in our first season in the conference still lingers. That was a game we had to win. We didn’t, and we lost in a puzzling manner.

The conference championship games so far are also grounds for nervousness. (The loss to Washington after the freak interception was just that, a freak outcome.)

The loss in the Holiday Bowl to Northwestern was not a “big” game by my lights, but it was pretty embarrassing to have a big lead and lose it by committing five consecutive turnovers in the beginning of the second half. The loss to Texas in the Alamo bowl was also embarrassing. Losses like that affect a program’s self-confidence, and give fuel to those who want to claim that Utah was “exposed” in those games.

We can debate all day why those losses happened, and doubtless there are many reasons. Talent differential, for example. Psychology is another reason. Who knows? I do think that now is a different time, this 2021 program has a weight and power and momentum that no prior team has had. (I know, I know, 2004, but those guys were never really tested like this year’s team has been in the Pac 12 conference–in 2021, they have dominated their conference opponents in an unprecedented manner.)

As the Tribune article quoting Covey and Lloyd shows, however, the team is aware of this potential problem, its leaders are thinking about it, and they have every right to go into the game against Oregon thinking they can blow them out yet yet again. Covey’s comments about watching the 37-15 loss to Oregon while he was injured are pretty interesting in that regard.

They know they can do it. I don’t think they will blow Oregon out again, but I do think they’ll win.

Quoting Covey:

“It is just as mental, if not more mental, than it is physical,” Covey said. “You’re not going to get better physically in one week, but whatever, if you can improve 5%, 10% mentally this week, that’s going to show up on game day. That’s one thing I learned from the first two, how mental this game is. It’s like a chess match.”

3 Likes

It sounds like, for the most part, we agree LAUte. I just want to make clear that I was not implying that Utah wins big games more than most programs. What qualifies as a “big game” is a matter of debate, but I do take exception with people who are always pointing to the losses and calling them big games ex post facto.

If you read enough of other fan’s message boards, reddit posts, and so on, you will find out that most fans think their program uniquely loses more than their fair share of important games. Utah has significantly improved its position in the college football world over the last 30-years. Instead of one or two big games a season, we now often have as many as six. Sometimes we are going to lose those big games, but sometimes we do win. And if fans ignore the good wins, you’re doomed to always being unhappy.

I think we take another step forward this Friday night. If we come out on the wrong side of the scoreboard, though, I won’t be claiming that we always lose big games because we don’t.

5 Likes

Sorry, but the national narrative about the Utes will continue to be same if kwhitt loses - tough team but always the bridesmaid.

National perception rewards winners. As Ute fans we can look at this season as a success - even in a lose. But nationally it’s winner takes all - loser forgotten quickly.

I defy you to point me to any national publication that calls Utah a tough team but always the bridesmaid.

1 Like

We do agree, @UteLawyer. Particularly on your statement here:

If you read enough of other fan’s message boards, reddit posts, and so on, you will find out that most fans thinks their program uniquely loses more than their fair share of important games. Utah has significantly improved its position in the college football world over the last 30-years. Instead of one or two big games a season, we now often have as many as six. Sometimes we are going to lose those big games, but sometimes we do win. And if fans ignore the good wins, you’re doomed to always being unhappy.

2 Likes

You may have stumbled on the key to ending whatever curse exists. Do it, @NewbombTurk!

You are confusing Utah’s DNA with ignorant pundit’s opinions.

1. Getting to the Rose Bowl is not some cake walk, it’s not a failure to not make it, it’s a great achievement to make it.
  2. Utah just went 8-1 in a conference where more than half the teams have superior talent(on paper)
  3. They have won the South division in the last 3 full seasons in a row. They know about being the hunted.

Your opinions are presented like some weird click bait. Trying to stir controversy were there isn’t any. PAC12 Football is competitive, Utah loses the big games sometimes, it’s not because they chocked but because it’s hard. They are not some unique team losing in some special way in big games. 50% of teams involved in big games lose and 50% win.

3 Likes

Deja vu!
It’s remarkable how that’s what so many Bama fans said (some still do)
As if the Sugar Bowl was somehow beneath them…
I hope we smash them like an mountain gorilla on Webalo Scout.
P3JD

This is exactly what I’ve been thinking and asking. It is all on coach to step up. If we truly are the alpha then show it. Be the champion, stop playing down to opponents. This mentality has to be in the players and coaches. If we win this outright then we are set. As mentioned the northwestern, texas, and pac12 championship games have been disappointments. We could have but didn’t. Why? Because we haven’t learned to play as the alpha and champions. I sincerely hope we can.

2 Likes

(digs out tam-o-shanter)

2 Likes

That’s…kinda his thing.

1 Like

It just occurred to me that the Utes do indeed have reason for a chip on their shoulders: The entire discussion now among fans and the sports news media is: “Can Utah beat Oregon a second time in two weeks? We’re not sure.”

Time for the team to respond to people doubting them with a resounding "Yes we can!"

1 Like

Black uniforms with white drum and feather helmets

1 Like

Is that a uniform prediction, hope, or a report from an official Utah football source?

utahfootball Instagram 3h ago.

1 Like