College football thread, non-Utah edition

Lol. Michigan’s first 4 games:

The crazy thing is I think Alabama’s only team they have a losing record against under CNS is Utah.

2 Likes

I think Freddie the Flute could coach them to a 4-0 record with that schedule!

6 Likes

Alabama is 0-3 against Rice? How?

I’m betting those games were a long time ago - maybe in the years post Bryant when the program wasn’t the massive juggernaut it was under him, and then again under Saban.

Or it could be from50-60 years ago… who knows?

It was Korean War era Alabama. It was the coach before coach Bryant. Jennings Whitworth. He was 4-24-2 at Alabama and this is when Alabama called Coach Bryant at Texas A&M and notoriously said “Mama Called.”

Also, remember this was a top 20 Rice. Coach Bryant was also attempting to integrate Texas A&M but was told they would be the last to do it in the Southwest Conference. Weirdly, it’s what got him tossed at Kentucky (partially by Rupp). So, he got both the HC of football and AD job to come back to Alabama.

1 Like

AH. THanks… COnfirms my 60ish years ago (closer to 70). I daresay Rice hasnt been an issue for them any time they played from Bryant era on

Yeah the '54 Cotton Bowl is older than you, right?

Um… This is bad news for everyone not named Alabama.

1 Like

Who is that dude?

I’m sure you’ll forgive Utah fans for not giving one single solitary sh*t about anything related to Alabama right now.

4 Likes

Looks at thread title, looks back at response.

Yet, you clicked the thread.

3 Likes

As we may have some scheduling availability, maybe the Tide would be willing to schedule a home and home?

Yeah, it almost like there’s lots of teams outside of Utah dealing with this expansion mess too.

Actually there is an opening now the Oklahoma home and home is now a conference game.

Yes, you’re right. All the threads should be solely focused on conference expansion and not actual football to be played this season. Sorry.

1 Like

We’re facing the very real possibility of college football purgatory at this exact moment man.

Maybe…read the room?

2 Likes

Or maybe you’re Utah fans and look on the downside at all times. There is blood on the street. That means HUGE opportunity. I don’t see it as bad for the Utes. A POWER TEAM!

2 Likes

B1G at 18…
FSU posturing in a big way, SEC waiting…

It’s certainly not over, folks.

Maybe ‘Bama’s right about the SEC wanting inventory out west, even if it’s a reactive move to the B1G / Fox grabbing 4 big names.

Personally, we need to try to be 15 and 16 with ASU - Utah’s not in a position to dictate anything, I’m just saying the dust hasn’t settled.

Given all the investments Utah has made in upgrades and new facilities, student enrollment, and any number of tangential financial multipliers, grabbing Utah, ‘Furd, and Cal wouldn’t be a bad thing for the SEC.

Again, just like these other conference scenarios, the logistics for travel could be a kick in the teeth.

Also, the question of how much the TV networks could gross up the payout to cover the additional costs would be something that has to be considered, too. Given the NYT article I read about Disney-ESPN the other day, the money going out (media rights) may not be covered by (subscriber fees, advertising). As more folks cut the cord, just like what has been happening over the last 7 years, the subscribers fees are expected to continue to increase to cover the lost subscribers.

It’s a death spiral that is happening with cable and satellite providers.

I have missed you. When you left UH.c, I was sad.