Class of 23 football recruits

Absolutely.

And kudos to Jamal Sr for not pressuring his kid.

1 Like

Gilmore is calss of 2022.

Another 2023 football commit:

Dijon Stanley is a HS RB, but he’s listed as an ATH and he’s built like a WR or a DB.

He’s also a CA sprint champion!

2 Likes

Looks like he’s a 400M guy, and at 6-1 / 175 would be like RoJo - rangy.

My $.03 is on him moving to the back end, FS.

New football commit:

Caleb Bryant, a DL from Mississippi. He’s the #8 prospect in the state.

7 Likes

Another one:

5 Likes

New commit. DL Jo’Laison Landry out of Houston.

https://twitter.com/cantstoplandry

3 Likes

ANOTHER ONE….

C.J. Blocker is a Ute!

2 Likes

One more! RB Michael Mitchell out of Florida.

2 Likes

And 1 more! LB/S Jonathan Hall from Katy, TX (Houston area).

2 Likes

Bravo!

Welcome gentlemen. Utah is a fantastic school.

3 Likes

Latest Commit: Welcome Randon Fontenette, a 4* ATH from Freeport, TX. Probably a S. Scalley cleaning up in TX this last month.

https://twitter.com/randonfontenet3

4 Likes

Football Commit!! 4* WR/ATH Carlos Wilson from Sacramento, CA.

6 Likes

The Utes have had 3 decommits in the last month and 4 decommits as total. They include two 4* from Texas (Rondon Fontenette a safety and CJ Blocker a CB) and a high 3* from Mississippi (Caleb Bryant a DL). Fontenette will reportedly sign with TCU and Blocker will visit TCU and USC before deciding and Bryant will reportedly sign with Ole Miss.

Utes have also had CB Malone Mataele enter the portal and will likely not be the last player to do so.

Frustrating for sure, but kids will do what kids do. Hope they all find what they’re looking for, and succeed at life.

Mataele was a victim of numbers - when Zemaiah Vaughn emerged that allowed Phillips to move to NB in nickel situations.

He probably would have started next year, but maybe the damage was done? As we saw late last year, can’t have too many corners, but kids want to play (understandably).

Not sure about reasons for all the de-commits; however, given today’s NIL structure, the chasm of “haves” and “have-nots” will continue to expand. IMO, although Utah has been a beast in recruiting-coaching potential kids – and we’ll still get them – it will likely get more difficult. It’s really testing my interest in CFB, not that anyone cares. haha

I suspect that you’re not alone in interest being tested. Think @SkinyUte said similar in recent weeks. My overall interest in CFB is down, but my interest in our Utes remains high. At least it remains high for now.

1 Like

I think a lot of this could be because of Utah’s, shall we say, tenuous position in the conference restructuring.

We honestly have no idea where Utah will end up, and recruits don’t want to take the risk of being with a program that doesn’t have a seat at the big kid’s table when the music stops.

4 Likes

Bad take Rocker. The Utes are currently in 4th place across the PAC12 for NIL deals, behind USC, Oregon, and amazingly U of A. I’m neck deep in this topic every day as a booster. The IRS is currently actively investigating some of the higher profile “Collectives” that have funded the obscene athlete deals. I was in a meeting last week with Harlan and other athletic dept staff on NIL deals. There are 2 established collectives that are doing deals for Ute athletes already. Maybe the Utes could do a better job of posting the deals, but we’ve done almost $2 million in deals so far and it’s growing faster and bigger every week. Plus these deals are purposely between the athletes and the private sector business with no athletic dept endorsement. I’ve been in direct meetings with the University President on NIL. Trust me, they understand how important this new competitive threat is. Hell, the creators of this fan portal were in one of these same meetings with Harlan. The athletic dept has a full time staff member specifically tasked for NIL deals. So how about instead of bitching about Harlan maybe you, I and others figure out a way to mobilize programs to make the Utes more competitive and quit throwing shade at our leaders that are apparently doing a #%^* ton of stuff you don’t give them any credit for?

12 Likes