BYU to Big XII?

Big12 will be demoted soon.

4 Likes

Nobody here (or anywhere outside of provo) is arguing that the BIg12 is close to as good as the Pac-12 by any metric.

Your first two paragraphs contradict each other. BYU usually did better than 6-5 in the MWC, so yes, the Big-12 will be quite a bit better than the MWC. Check out how Baylor, TTech, TCU, Okie St, KSU, and ISU have fared in the AP top 25 over the past decade. This is a good collection of teams.

2 Likes

Recruiting is the only thing that has ever concerned me, but the PAC-12 is sexier than the BIG-12 (minus TX and OK), and our footprint is relatively compact. Adding these four members would stretch the BIG-12 to Ohio and Florida, and balance the teams out pretty equally between the Midwest and Southeast, with BYU being the biggest outlier. Even under the best scheduling circumstances, BYU would rack up a ton of mileage.

Utah would definitely lose some recruits that they would land now, but I don’t think it would be nearly as extreme as you’re assuming. I would think that Utah and Texas are the key states where we’d suffer, but how many LDS kids have we ever even signed from Texas? Maybe some of the poly guys from Euless? It’s gotta be pretty negligible.

1 Like

I think you are right that the effects on Texas recruiting are negligible. But the biggest factor is Utah County kids. Right now some stud DL or LB from Timpview or Orem probably signs with BYU; but, we have had pretty good success at peeling off one or two of the best recruits from Utah county. I think that if they get BIGXII, Utah County will be pretty much theirs. I don’t think it drastically affects us, but losing one or two recruits a year (and often some of our highest rated recruits) will hurt.

I think if we look back at rankings over the past decade, BYU would be even lower on that totem pole.

3 Likes

All true. But I also think it is hard to argue that conference elevation will not positively affect BYU’s rankings going forward.

1 Like

I cant disagree with this, but also bear in mind the last 13 of 15 conference champions were either OU or Texas. One other, Colorado is now in the P-12. That leaves only one conference champion, KSU, in the last 15 years. The conference has been gutted (at least temporarily) with the removal of only two programs.

5 Likes

Lol. Well played

9 Likes

maybe not immediately, but IMO not having UT and OU in the Big XII likely downgrades the recruiting ability of Oklahoma St, ISU, KSU and TCU, just as it would hurt the PAC12 if Oregon and USC left.

1 Like

And then what happens when the current contract and $ runs out? A couple more teams bolting from the Big12 maybe?

The most likely outcome is that the Big12 settles in as the best conference outside of the P4 (or the alliance or whatever we are going to call ourselves). That would mean the Big12 champ is usually in the (expanded playoff).

But it’s college football, so you never know.

Where are these teams going to go? Nobody wants them.

1 Like

Well, if they get into the Big 12, it will be interesting to see how BYU, TCU, and Baylor may collude to blow up the TV contract and end Sunday sports play.

A move like that could make a TV contract pretty damned revenue poor when it comes Basketball and a number of the non revenue sports.

1 Like

So, what happens to the Big12 media deal if Texas/OU find a way to bail early? Does that void the media deal, or is Fox (or whoever) stuck paying good money to televise a ton of underwhelming draws like Texas Tech vs Cincinnatti?

2 Likes
4 Likes

Not sure what Wilner is trying to prove, but some of the responses to SmartAssCougar were entertaining.

1 Like

I think the alliance is the reason why the Pac-12 didn’t expand. Because said alliance with the Midwestern-based Big Ten and Eastern-based ACC will regularly have them playing games in the Central and Eastern time zones (at least in non-conference play), it negated the need for the league to expand past its current footprint. The new Big 12 will likely rely heavily upon the SEC to fill it’s non-conference schedule with because most of the other 3 leagues will be playing each other and not the SEC or Big 12 to the lay person.

1 Like

The pac 12 didn’t expand because it wasn’t profitable to do so.

4 Likes

The leftover B12 had nothing to offer the PAC

1 Like

They’ve moved on guys, Iowa State is their new rival now. Good riddance.

I am somewhat curious in what world Utah “needs” BYU. I guess in their minds, there is a significant segment of the Utah fan base that aren’t actually Utah fans and are solely BYU haters. And that there will be some sort of mass fan exodus if we’re no longer playing the Zoobs.

They’re so weird.

8 Likes