BYU to Big XII?

Except when they play Utah…that ending is very predictable. :grinning:

7 Likes
2 Likes

Starting to sound like a done deal. Bummer. Oh well, just make sure the alliance is only Pac, Big10, ACC (and SEC when we’re ready).

What incentive would the other Big12 teams have in adding new teams before their TV contract is up? Wouldn’t that just be more mouths to feed with the same income?

1 Like

I remember when we joined the PAC, the zoobs were saying that USC going independent was “imminent” and that we would be joining a conference that didn’t have the same cachet as what we expected.

Now, ironically they may be joining a conference that won’t have it’s biggest players…Texas and Oklahoma.

6 Likes

I suspect they might due what the PAC12 did with us 0%- year 1, 25% - year 2, etc.

Watch byu-provo demand full shares on day one. Given their sense of entitlement, that wouldn’t surprise me.

5 Likes

I wonder if its for all sports or just football? byu has a strange love affair with the WCC conference.

And if byu leaves the WCC, I could see Gonzaga flirting again with the MWC

I’m sure it will be for all sports.

I think Gonzaga will survive without BYU.

3 Likes

Full shares of what, though? They make $$ now, but how much will the new Big12 pull in? Much less than the current contract.

They go to 12 now so that the conference doesn’t collapse and they can stayon the current media deal until 2025.

the new Big XII is a solid basketball league and a decent football conference, but it does jack squat for byu’s heralded clogging program

4 Likes

If this happens, it is definitely a win for BYU. It’s not a great conference w/o Texas and OU, but they have good teams (Ok. St., Baylor, TCU, Iowa State, Kansas State) and they have easy access to the BCS. If I were Tom Holmoe (perish the thought) I’d be dumbing down my out of conference slate (drop Utah, schedule UVU) so that I will have better record and better chances of making a nY6 bowl, or whatever they are called.

For Utah, this is definitely a net negative. A lot of LDS kids want to go to Provo mom’s want their kids to go to Provo, but the lack of P5 status dissuades a lot of them. BYU’s recruiting won’t suddenly be amazing, but it will improve, and at our expense. Most teenager football players I know don’t care about the difference of travelling to LA versus Lubbock because most teenager football players I know are stupid.

5 Likes

This is all true. Good summary.

What percentage of our team is LDS? I honestly have no idea.

I know that it may change the minds of guys like Covey and Ritchie, but will it have a major impact? Seems like LDS kids have realized that BYU is not the only - and often not the best - option anymore.

2 Likes

Not a lot, I would guess. But, for those kids that thought long and hard about BYU but ultimately choose the truth, we’ll now miss out on quite a few of these kids. This list off the top of my head includes Chase Hansen, Covey, Ritchie, Jaren Kump, Issac Vaha, and Alex Harrison.

Yes, much of our team doesn’t even come from Utah, but certain position groups (O-line, D-line) rely on having one or two BYU recruits. Now, those kids are in jeopardy of wearing a braided belt and avoiding loud laughter.

2 Likes

Yup, volume doesn’t matter so much; we want to be in the mix for the top LDS recruits.

Plus, the two years of added strength in mission kids has always benefitted our lines.

LOL, well played.

Is the B12 without Texas and OU really that much better than the MWC in football? It probably is, but not by much.

This would help byu no doubt about it but I think they’ll hover around .500 in conference most of the time. They’ll stumble into bowl games at 6-5 and play San Jose State in the bowl.

Road games to Stillwater vs road games to Seattle. The PAC will still be far and away a better situation. Maybe the Utes lose out on a legit recruit every year because Provo is in a P5 but I still see the Utah program being well ahead of byu.