Bring on Phil Knight U.! (fka the Oregon Ducks)

I have a bad feeling that we have a false sense of optimism about our offense. It looked good against SC, and Vaki has given it a big lift, but we know Barnes looked very good against a bad SC defense filled with divas. Will the Ducks be the best defense we face the rest of the year?
I don’t know.

5 Likes

Massey’s algorithm says, “Yes.”
Oregon has the 16th best defense in the country.

1 Like

Yep, total defense has UCLA 10, Utah 14, Oregon 20, ASU 33, UA 34, OSU 47, UW 83, USC 104, CU 130 (last).

So, Oregon will be the hardest for our offense to play, but ASU, UA won’t be a joke either. Oregon also has the most balanced offense with strong run and pass. Surprisingly, we should he able to move the ball against UW, but must score TDs/pts and not turn the ball over (and defend the pass; they have little run game). CU will be a lot like USC with not as much depth on offense.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Hat tip to @Steggys_Mixtapes for this:

7 Likes

This is right on the money.

1 Like

I just remembered that it took USC three overtimes to defeat Arizona, in the Coliseum. It was great Utah got the win last Saturday, but unfortunately, in my opinion there is no way USC is a top 25 team. Which also makes me think, hmmm, when I consider the Utes facing Oregon. On the other hand, as Washington demonstrated in Seattle versus ASU, who knows how a team will perform on any given weekend. Also to consider is the advantage of exhibit A: Rice-Eccles Stadium.

11 Likes

ASU is a noon start game

That’s fox’s problem in October. With them having MLB playoffs, it limits their ability to broadcast college football

If Utah beats Oregon on Saturday, Utah needs to start getting serious consideration as a potential CFP team. They’re the top 1-loss team in the country if they pull off the win IMHO. They’d have the best resume with wins over Florida, UCLA, @ USC, AND Oregon.

6 Likes

I’m going into this one with the same thought as last weekend. I’m fully expecting a loss, but hope to be pleasantly surprised. It’ll take everything to go right to get a win, but stranger things have happened.

One thing to remember is that while he’s been more consistent this year, Bo Nix has typically had at least one “WTF?” game every year where he throws 2-3 really bad picks. He hasn’t had that game yet this year…maybe it’ll be Saturday.

14 Likes

My expectation is that the team comes out and fights hard, the coaches will have put some thought into game plans, etc.

Any game could go either way, that’s the nature of football. It doesn’t matter what uniform combination we wear, doesn’t matter if College Game Day is coming, the past doesn’t matter.

I’m sure Scalley is thinking of some nasty stuff to throw at Nix, make him think longer than usual, let Ellis and O’Toole have an extra second to get home.

During our tenure in the PAC, I’ve heard analysts from the LA schools refer to Rice Eccles as a “house of horrors”. In other words, we get to participate!

12 Likes

That’s me, too.

1 Like

The composite of 85+ ranking systems places USC at 22nd.

2 Likes

Wait, you’re saying that when I was getting nervous Saturday and started pacing around while watching, it didn’t cause the pick and quick USC score? And that because I forced myself to stay seated the rest of the way it didn’t ensure an amazing comeback drive by the Utes to win it? My world has been turned upside down! :wink:

9 Likes

We’ll just have to play our best game.
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;

6 Likes

Can’t do any more than that. If we do, I really like our chances.

2 Likes

All I will add is that just before Bryson’s 26-yard scramble I grabbed the the ball cap I was wearing and turned it backwards. Not seeking any credit. Just sayin’.

4 Likes

At first I didn’t see the “r” in breach.

In the beach?”

It reminded me of the George Carlin bit about phrases that bug him.

Flight attendant: “Time to get on the plane, everyone, everyone should be on the plane now”

Carlin: “I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m getting in the plane. Let Evel Knievel get on the plane!”

12 Likes

That’s one of my favorite Carlin lines.

4 Likes