Bravo U of U

President Randall set an ambitious goal for U of U research to reach the $1B mark for research funding.
As of about a couple of years ago we were around $575M .

Today’s headline: U surpasses $750M in research funding – @theU (utah.edu)

7 Likes

Good thing we are in the Pac 12. This is happening because of that.

2 Likes

:dotted_line_face: :wink:

:wink:

5 Likes

Let the good stuff keep happening!

2 Likes

I dont get it Davis is way out in the middle of the Central Valley, west of even Sacto. So where is this skiing they mentioned?

1 Like

That US News one has always been very suspect… It almost seems like some self-important people decided to make up such a list decades ago and by virtues of no one else doing so it became “authoritative”.

5 Likes

Well. If you drive “several” hours east - northeast… :wink:

1 Like

I think everyone involved now knows that it is a game. Facilities play the game. They know what the important factors are, and they make sure they meet those standards.* The Wall Street Journal rankings seem much more credible to me.

• Well, they try to meet them. I know BYU didn’t have enough female faculty in its law school so the former dean there made all kinds of crazy efforts to pump up that number for his school. The efforts included making female professors from nearby law schools adjunct professors, or visiting professors, or whatever he could do to enable himself to claim them for his faculty.
1 Like

Doing a quick search it looks like the nearest skiing is a little over 100 miles from Davis, whether you hit the closest resort at Tahoe(Sierra at Tahoe), or the one’s off I-80 near Donner Pass (Sugar Bowl). So not very close.

that’s about the same distance from Denver to Vail.

We are spoiled living on the Wasatch Front.

2 Likes

I’m sure this $1 billion per annum research spending milestone is almost as important as the $20 per annum from the Pac 12.

:apple: :tangerine:

I’ve been enjoying the news releases the U continues to put out:

3 Likes

I bet you’re fun at parties.

9 Likes

6 Likes

That does seem a good way to go for the “Good skiing it provides” access LOL! I do love Davis spent 10 days there in 2008, including several days prowling the UC campus. But skiing would not be something that comes to mind in association!

1 Like

Have you been taking all of your meds lately?

3 Likes

the-office-steve-carell
Ok Boomer

5 Likes

4 Likes

The more research funding we get, the more money we can make and the more people we can put to work supporting the researchers and their people. Patents and intellectual property are where the money is, and I’m glad to see it grow.

Having a great athletics program doesn’t suck, either. :wink:

3 Likes