Best restaurants in SLC?

There was a bar (perhaps also a restaurant) maybe called the 13th Floor, which I recall going to a couple of times in the 70’s, when I was still in high school. But I don’t recall hearing anything about it in decades. It did have great views, though, and always had small musical ensembles on weekends.

It is called the Crimson View room and it is open for lunch daily from 11-2. You can book the room for events at other times of the day.

Since Fort Collins Armadillo restaurant closed a few years ago thus their Armarito dish is no longer available, Red Iguana’s Conchinita Pibil is now my favorite Mexican dish.

This is sort of random. A few decades ago while riding a chairlift at Alta the two people on the lift with me mentioned that while on approach to SLC airport they noticed a U and H on the mountain side (Highland High) but could not find the T or the A.

1 Like

Red Iguana is an excellent choice. Only issue with it is everyone knows its good so it is a beatch to get into timely.

Best non-chain Italian I have had is Siragusa’s in Taylorsville/West Valley. In a strip mall at 41st and Redwood. Started small, simple, but excellent. Has gotten a little bigger but still outstanding. Even holds cooking classes on some Saturdays so you can learn to do your own Italian. Sunday brunch is always good with something unique every weekend. Also ask for Bernie style (fettuccine in stead of just plain pasta) on anything with additional pasta. You will not regret it.

1 Like

Red Iguana 2 Is the one to go to for locals. It still takes a while to get in when busy, but it’s not nearly as bad.

1 Like

It can be tough for out of towners to find T and A in Utah. Hey ohh!

4 Likes

We went to the Oak Wood Fire Kitchen in Draper the other day. Absolutely loved everything about that place. Highly recommend.

This was a terrible restaurant by the time it closed. Years ago it was better (mediocre) but no surprises that it closed now as the food was deplorable. Its a great location and I’m curious to see what they put in there.

But honestly, the last time I ate there was around Christmastime and it was like they didn’t even try, so I’m not sad to see it go. It was like they heated up expired Chef Boyardee or something.

2 Likes

Yeah, I will miss the Canella’s that was.

The only thing I ever had there was the italian salad - sausage, garbanzo beans, and beets. I still make that on occasion.

I remember that salad. It was pretty good as I recall. The last year or so the quality really went downhill there. Their pasta wasn’t too shabby, and that’s what I usually ordered.

Not in Salt Lake but I went the Hell’s Backbone Grill in Boulder over the weekend.

I hate to sound like I’m exaggerating, but it was one of the best meals I’ve ever had. Well worth a 4 hour drive from SLC, can highly recommend. There was another nice restaurant in the Torrey area called Diablo but it’s closed down now. Anyway, if you’re in the Capitol Reef/Bryce area you should try Hell’s Backbone.

2 Likes

What did you have?

I had the Jenchiladas and my wife had the meatloaf. Both were great.

Thanks for the tip. We are doing a S. UT trip in October (hopefully) - Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, Navajo Nat’l Monument, Bryce, Escalante Slot Canyons, Capital Reef, Goblin, back home (Denver area).

2 Likes

The restaurant went downhill after Joe passed away and his sons took over. They weren’t involved before Joe’s passing and I just don’t think they had the passion for the business.

Agreed. Was there last year and my meal was fantastic – had the full course of starter/main/dessert.

1 Like

DataUte: FWIW – Not sure if Green River is on your way, but I’ve read that La Pasadita, a breakfast tacos/burritos place at an old gas station, is very good.

1 Like

I am pretty sure the Pub, Red Butte, Martine, and Stella’s are all closing. I think the owners have decided to retire. Used to play pool all the time at the Pub in college, because they never carded. the good old days.

1 Like

Wow. Just wow. I only started going to Stella’s within the last year or so, and really loved it. Haven’t been to Red Butte in ages. I thought the Desert Edge was also part of that group?

Stella’s was by far my favorite. I will really miss that place.