Best restaurants in SLC?

Cotton Bottom is currently closed. It’s being purchased by Ty Burrell & company. They’re going to remodel, keeping the original bar as a bar but adding a restaurant behind it. Given Ty’s other ventures I expect it to be good once finished.

2 Likes

For a while it sounded like it would be no more. I’m glad someone bought it. I do think it’s a little overrated, but kind of a nice landmark. Curious to see what happens next.

The Union buildimg used to have a weekend buffet, (maybe they still do), called The Panorama Room. Prime Rib, live pianist. Decent food and great valley views

When I was at the U 2006-2008 that room at the top of the Union was open for lunch everyday. It was called the Crimson View and the menu was sightly higher priced than the food court but they had cloth napkins and an actual server. It was a nice change of pace.

1 Like

I remember that! It was good.
The Honors College had a few functions there.
If anyone’s family goes to the U get involved with the Honors College, the Lowel Bennion Center Service Center and the undergraduate Research Program.
All exemplary opportunities many schools have modeled after ours

I haven’t seen a plug for Caputo’s. Great sandwiches. The meatball is my go-to, but their hot pastrami is very good too. Their bread/rolls are made locally, and they are best when they have a crusty outside and soft inside. Then stop by HoopUte’s daughter’s bakery next door for desert.

Takashi has been mentioned a few times. My manager is a foodie from south San Francisco, and it is her favorite sushi place anywhere. She’ll eat there multiple nights in a row when she visits. I’m not a sushi connoisseur or even enthusiast, but I have liked everything I have had there.

Market Street might be too obvious, but it is our go-to for events like anniversaries. The claim chowder is amazing, and their halibut oscar style is probably my favorite dish anywhere.

2 Likes

Caputo’s is fantastic. I’ve met Tony at least once. I have yet to try Takashi. I’ve gotten mixed reviews on it, but most agree that its the best sushi in Utah. I worked at a restaurant called Naked Fish for a while, which was more traditional style sushi and very good. It is a shame it is gone.

I just don’t get the Market Street thing. I do like the clam chowder. When I go there again I will try the halibut.

I like market street for brunch, but they really underwhelm me for dinner

I don’t get the Market Street thing either. And their clam chowder is the worst I’ve ever had and it’s not close. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

Everyone at the tailgate knows I make the best clam chowder if for no other reason than I use a lot of clams in it. :wink:

Ok, brazing the onions and using center-cut bacon instead of salt pork helps, too.

Oh, and don’t forget the Yukon gold potatoes, carrots and celery with a touch of oregano and garlic. :man_cook:

2 Likes

[quote=I just don’t get the Market Street thing. I do like the clam chowder. When I go there again I will try the halibut.
[/quote]
I don’t get it either. Our office used to be right beside Market Street so it was a convenient go to when vendors were in town and wanted to go out for lunch. I don’t know that I would ever willingly pay for a meal there with my own money. Consistently mediocre at best.

2 Likes

I remember that restaurant - we used to stop there for chicken on the way up Parley’s Canyon, headed to various recreational spots when I was a young kid, in the 60’s.

My father told me about having fun on a “great ski jump”, near that restaurant. The jump had been subsequently torn down. Found this photo of it:

Norseman Ski Jump Hill, 13th East, 22nd South -Shot 1

Looks like it might have been east of 1300 East, towards the west end of what is now Sugarhouse Park. Or, perhaps the south side of what is now the sleigh riding hill at Sugarhouse Park (where the exit to westbound I-80 on 1300 East is located).

I doubt there is anyone on this board old enough to remember it…

LA Ute remembers.

The HoHo gourmet on state street has been good on the past. Haven’t been there in years. Maybe I’ll order some lemon chicken take out tonight and let you know how it was

Therese (actually my wife’s daughter), is the owner/operator of Carlucci’s and makes some, if not most, of the bread Caputo’s uses on their sandwiches. My brother-in-law, Therese’s uncle, is also a partner in Caputo’s, Carlucci’s, and the real estate on which they stand.

I never saw the ski jump in Sugarhouse, but remember when the sledding hill was much higher and scarier than it is today.

1 Like

It’s likely not what your remember

I miss Nino’s very much for that exact reason.

1 Like

There used to be a restaurant on top of what is now the red lion on 6th south that had views of the city. Don’t know if that is even still there.

The Panorama Room at the Student Union used be a good view with a nice dinner or lunch.

Is it still open?