Bentley Does Not Suck

I hope he does well.
Almost none of us will ever have opportunity through celebrity to make such an auspicious introduction and summarily inauspicious departure.
He did his very best and he will always be a Ute.

1 Like

he played well in stretches and horrible in stretches, just a weird year, in different circumstances he’s probably successful

Like most here, I’m not surprised. That said, I was impressed with his attitude, fight, and character. He did do some things, as previously mentioned, that were extremely valuable given our O-line’s growing pain. Certainly wish him success in the future.

2 Likes

Agreed. And in response, here are my two comments/questions about Bentley:

1. For the second time in recent years, the team voted as captain a QB that ultimately did not win the starting job. How did the locker rooms react to their captain not winning the starting position? Frustrated with the coaches or trusted the coaches and bought in? Curious how this situation (twice) went down in the locker room and how or if it affected chemistry.
  2. I think Bentley has the yips (like Mackey Sasser throwing seeds to second base but unable to throw the ball back to the pitcher, or Steve Sax, or Chuck Knoblauch). Seems like the easier the throw or more open the receivers were, the less accurate Bentley’s passes were. The missed TD from Colorado’s one-yard line to the wide-open, all alone, TE in the endzone comes to mind, as well as Covey nearly breaking in half due to monster hits on balls that were thrown behind him. Several other errant passes as well. But to his credit, Bentley also made several nice passes into tight windows. I don’t know how else to explain it.

Chalk it all up to 2020, I guess.

4 Likes

He strikes me as one of those players who will tear it up if they find the right situation and leave everyone wondering where the hell he came from.

His high school highlights are very impressive, 60 yard bombs on a dime. Didn’t look like he had that arm here.

Well, good luck to Jake, and the rest. I hope that they all find success wherever they may end up; except against us if they play against us.

I really like his attitude and leadership and wish him well. I don’t think we’ll miss him on the field.

May I say, that is candidate for understatement of the year. And I have been a JB fan. But issues that preceded him in reputation, proved true on the field.

The kid is a leader…no doubt about that. That said, I wished he stayed as a GA to Ludwig and started a career toward coaching. He is a kid who could make some good players great, if taught how.

Best wishes on following his dreams, just hope they bring him back here in his next chapter.

GO UTES!!!

2 Likes

it seems like we have finally broken through for those couple of positions where we struggled getting P5 talent - QB and LB. I think the next step is developing QB talent to the same level we develop DB, DL and the RB positions. Having a steady OC has seemed to help with the QB talent.

Maybe it was just this weird year, but it seems like Bentley just wasn’t ever comfortable enough

That is really nice. I’d vote for more offensive tackles.

1 Like

Bentley commits to South Alabama.

1 Like