Bentley Does Not Suck

I’d heard that when they did the surgery, the damage was not as bad as feared, and he should be throwing near full strength in the fall.

Hope so, because in the short time vs USC we saw both of the tags on Rising - strong arm with good accuracy, and maybe a lack of experience / judgment (that having a cannon arm often brings.)

1 Like

That is good news indeed.

I posted the Utah QB line up, assuming Drew Lisk and Jake Bentley do not return, because it is packed with underclassmen. Just looking at the list, and I do think it important to have depth, but my fear is, my thinking is, something has to give. I thought when Utah was looking for a transfer QB, that person would be a junior or senior.

But that last thought begs an enormous question that I hope some of you will answer.

Looking at 4* rated transfers to Utah at QB, thinking among several others Tom Grady, Terrance Cain and Cooper Bateman, how have they panned out in your opinion?

Here is a SBNation/Block U article that looks at this same question up until 2015:

1 Like

That article is five years old, but it’s quite generous to call Jason Woods, Brandon Jones, and TD Crowshaw “average.”

2 Likes

I don’t remember who the old poster was, perhaps it was Senioritis, who would always use TD Crowshaw as the ultimate trash talk with zoobs. He would always remind them that byu lost in Provo to an average Ute team with Crowshaw as the QB.

2 Likes

No wonder Jack Tuttle transferred. :crazy_face:

To channel Bill Marcroft, “Check it!”

Next season, Utah will have:

Charlie Brewer, 3* transfer from Baylor, four year starter, Senior.
Cam Rising, 4* transfer from Texas, RS Sophomore
Ja’Quinden Jackson, 4* transfer from Texas, Freshman
Peter Costelli, 4* HS recruit from California, true Freshman
Cooper Justice, 2* or 3*, from Lake Oswego, OR, Freshman
Bryson Barnes, NR, from Milford, UT, walk-on Freshman

Committed to Utah in late 2020 for 2022:

JP Zamora, 3* QB, projected to be the best HS QB in the 2022 Class from the state of Washington.

Won’t Rising be a freshman since this season doesn’t count?

He is listed on Utah’s roster as a SO. So I assume he returns a SO.

1 Like

Since you’re including walk-ons, I’m pretty sure Robinson, the PWO from Wisconsin is still around. He redshirted last year and is still showing on the 2020 roster.

The plot thickens!!!

I’ve heard there is staff concern that his labrum may never be the same. He may be Jordan Wynn. Hope not, but that is the concern.

The Jordan Wynn thing was so weird. The coaches kept saying he was 100% but anyone could clearly see he was 50% at best. Really made me question our offensive coaches’ abilities.

1 Like

I would imagine the coaches are going by what the Docs & training staff told them.

I just want to be on record stating, that no matter how you feel about his on field performance, I have really liked his off-the-field leadership especially with the BLM stuff over the summer. The kid will be successful in life and I wish him the best no matter what he chooses.

8 Likes

Rehabbing a shoulder is tough, takes a lot of time, and you never get back to what you had prior to the surgery. Hopefully Rising can make it back, but the odds of this fall aren’t good.

That said, Alex Smith came back from the most gruesome injury I have ever seen anyone come back from.

Hedging the bets never hurts, though.

2 Likes

As of now, next season, Utah will have:

Charlie Brewer, 3* transfer from Baylor, four year starter, Senior.
Cam Rising, 4* transfer from Texas, RS Sophomore
Ja’Quinden Jackson, 4* transfer from Texas, Freshman
Peter Costelli, 4* HS recruit from California, true Freshman
Cooper Justice, 2* or 3*, from Lake Oswego, OR, Freshman
Carter Robinson, NR, from Wisconsin, walk-on RS Freshman
Bryson Barnes, NR, from Milford, UT, walk-on Freshman

Saw this earlier. Very apropos.

7 Likes

Perfect.

1 Like

That should be posted on the back of every stadium chair at R-E Southern Stadium in Provo.

1 Like

that didn’t take long