Baylor Game Super Early Start

Wow! I just realized the game is on at 10:00 AM MT. is that the earliest game time for us? Wonder if it helps or hurts a traveling team? Why so early?
At least the East Coast press will see the game. Hope we win, bigly.
Go UTES!!

The why is always the same.

TV

2 Likes

Even though it’s not a long trip, hopefully the routine changes this week to get the team into meetings & workouts early, like 5a or maybe even earlier.

From the research I found on jet lag, peak performance on a number of physiological measures is about 4p, depending on “chrono-type”, so the more we can move the clock up, the better primed we’ll be.

Time Of Day Could Impact Athletes’ Performance Peak | Inside Science

Athletes often deal with long-distance travel and jet lag, among other time-related issues. They have strategies, training methods and determination to help them adjust. For early risers and night owls alike, training the body to peak at a specific time of day is an important consideration for top athletes.

2 Likes

Um…

1 Like

Depth, electrolytes and hydration.

If we get a lead and need to shorten the game, might want to think about rotating OL a little. If they’re applying pressure with a 3-4, chasing around our “quicks” package of NJ and Micah could wear them down, if they’re not deep.

We saw it on one play with those two, but NJ brings the threat of an option. The challenge with the pitch is you need to practice it enough to bring the risk of a mis-pitch down.

5 Likes

I play soccer in TN and will say with confidence that playing @ 10am is an enormous advantage to us compared to playing in the afternoon. 89-90 with humidity is difficult. Upper 90’s to low 100’s with humidity is a completely different thing- it saps your strength and puts you at constant risk of heat stroke.

The football players get to come off the field and will have some sort of cooling help (fans, misters, perhaps even AC) but they have to wear all of that gear. I can’t imagine working hard in 100 degree + humidity with shoulder pads, rib protector, and helmet. OMG!

It will still be hard for the Texas boys but acclimation to playing in heat and humidity is a real thing similar to altitude- though the physiology is different. When it first gets hot here, we all struggle with the heat after playing in the cool of winter, but after a few months of heat we manage pretty well.

As for jet lag- central time is only one hour different from mountain. It is not like they are playing in Istanbul.

I wish they were starting at 9 but am glad for 10.

3 Likes

Whats the elevation of Waco? I know, I know, “Look it up…”
470 feet. Whenever I bike or run at near sea level, I feel like Lance on EPO. Maybe the team will feel the same

2 Likes

Good thing the team got a strong dose of roasting field level on Thursday. If it was as hot as I endured going by the ticket office [always remembering direct sun much worse than simple air temperature], then RES field had to be over 100 effectively.

2 Likes

Get ready for a lot more super early starts, beginning next season. Sigh.

2 Likes

It will be interesting. Waco heat doesn’t play.

2 Likes

That will kill a lot of the tailgating. Folks who think that an hour or two of tailgating is sufficient just don’t understand tailgating. The amount of time used to set up and tear down uses at least an hour or two. People have to remember that it’s not the Elves who set up all those tables and chairs, and Bloody Mary bars, and grills (and the cooking).

7 Likes

But they brought us cookies.:wink:

5 Likes

Assuming I can remember to do so, and can finagle the logistics of it…, I shall endeavor to bring Ice to the tailgate zone I met you at, just so I can be sure to have some for Bloddy Mary. I had to scrounge thru an ice chest or two to find some actual solid chucks to use

Massey has our boys ranked 5th in the country, favored to win all remaining scheduled contests.

3 Likes

So Breakfast Burritos smothered in Chile Verde will be the tablegate next Saturday if the start time holds.

At a minimum Whitt will be happy. He likes early games.

4 Likes

Is this code for your game prediction?

Nope. I just like a good pork Chile Verde.

5 Likes

Many years ago, the Catholic mission “Our Lady of Guadalupe” on the west side of Salt lake operated The Guadalupe Center, which included a restaurant that had the best Chile Verde I’ve ever had. I can’t actually recall when the place closed, but I’m sure it had to do with the purchase of the properties on that block by the Millers for the Delta Center.

I miss that place! It was a great restaurant, a nice Catholic Hispanic cultural environment, and as I said, world class Chile Verde.

Edit to say: they had some great Mariachi bands on the weekends. I miss that place.

2 Likes

That is almost enough to make me fly to TX. Sounds fantastic!

1 Like

BU fans on the sicem365 forum want Briles back and compared him to IQ45. In short, just like IQ45, Briles didn’t do anything wrong and was just a scapegoat – just like IQ45.

Welcome to Big 12. Of course, from that perspective, the state of Utah fits B12 perfectly.

4 Likes