Arizona Coyotes to Utah

I am very curious to see if and how they can make NHL hockey work enough to make it worth buying tickets. The seating right now really sucks overall for watching hockey.

2 Likes

Reportedly there are about 16K seats (they have to fold up many of the lower bowl seats behind the nets to fit the rink) but about 4K of those are upper bowl seats behind the nets that cannot see their end of the rink without looking up at the TV.

Another trick may be finding a design to make the entire ice visible to all without degrading views for basketball.

2 Likes

Yeah if you sit upper you can’t see the nearside boards and the ends you can’t see below halfway through the near end face off circles. If they brought in new retractable seating the could somehow change the angle depending on hockey vs basketball it might work. You would have to pretty much demolish the interior of the lower bowl and maybe they are just planning that upper bowl seats are all going to be partially obstructed.

1 Like

How about a mascot of a Yeti riding a woolley mammoth with a Golden Eagle perched on the Yeti’s shoulder and call it the Utah Hockey club of Salt Lake Cityzzz.

Then everyones happy.

2 Likes

I’m opposed to any tax bond initiatives to buy a new, decent building for a hocky team most families will never be able to afford tickets to go see. The guy’s a billionare amiright?
Is the building used for the Grizzlies too small? Whats gonna happen to them anyway? Ive been to 3 or so games and they were fun.

5 Likes

The Grizzlies barn is only about 12K seats whereas most NHL arenas are around 18K ish. Grizzlies will likely be fine. In other markets with a minor league or Junior team the interest goes up when there is an NHL team as a value alternate to more expensive NHL tickets.

3 Likes

Mayor in Utah trying to keep hockey hands off symphony home Mayor in Utah trying to keep hockey hands off symphony home

1 Like

The Maverik Center only seats 10,000 for hockey (they love to throw out the 12,000 but that’s sore concerts in the round)

The Grizzlies will remain, and will likely end up as the AA affiliate for the new team at some point.

Something many may not know, West Valley actually owns 40% of the grizzlies. Talk about tax money being used :rofl:

1. There isn’t a bond at all. There’s a sales tax increase for SLC. SEG will get tax breaks funded by that money. That money will also go to other things the city needs as well.

2. The media has, wrongly, suggested SEG wants to get rid of Abravanel Hall. They actually have said they want it to be part of the overall project. The county is actually who initially said otherwise as they have millions of dollars in repairs to make. Those will likely now get funded by this district.

3 Likes

What’s the increased sales tax on? Who pays for the items being taxed and by how much? Why would we increase a sales tax which bennefits a few wealthy business people for a single building? How does this work?

1 Like

Maybe the Yeti can have a swarm of Bees attacking him.

1 Like

Not the bees!

3 Likes

It’s not for building a single building, it’s being used to rework 3 city blocks including the public owned Salt Palace.

And none of these increases have been implemented. They’re still having public hearings through the Salt Lake City council.

Something to note, Salt Lake City’s biggest revenue days (for the city) come on days there are events at the Delta Center. This revenue is actually what funds most public services such as police, fire and parks, especially in a city where half is the land is exempted from property taxes.

3 Likes

That’s fair, but who is taxed visa via sales? Salt Lake County at large? The city? Consumer products or others and at what increase?
I’m not anti tax, but it also seems billionare’s somehow get marvelous assistace for land, tax breaks, media distribution and revenue etc., without say, allocating reduction of ticket prices, for underserved or regular families. So while I grew up in Boston and saw both the Garden and Kraft stadium rebuilds, I’m not sure the average fan in Dorchester is able to afford to attend anymore. Maybe I’m wrong. Meanwhile, corporate box suites are often empty (but someone is paying a ton of quag) for those boxes.
I don’t expect things to change. I just wonder who really benefits despite the rhetoric.

Addendum: Not anti pro sports either, but take a look at the Olympics. To me that is a slam dunk win, even for a dirt farmer in Roy. Brings in federal, state and corporate monies, improved infrastructure big-time and celebrated the entire state and culture for world comsumption. Unlike many other countries, we continue to use every single new or upgraded facility since then. We didn’t need a brand new ice stadium at the time to display exciting Olympic hockey (although a better arena would have been grand). My worry is the nature of pro sports teams needing a city more than the city may need them. That’s why the Arizona team left Arizona for greener pastures. Will they be here in another ten years? Probably, but it’s not like the dynasties of Boston, NY et al…

1 Like

The things I don’t know the background on anymore. Had I been up at the Legislature during the last session, I would probably know more about how they are setting up the entertainment district; and the what, how much, and who imposes the sales tax increment to fund the district improvements.

I am actually enjoying this ignorance moment.

3 Likes

It’s a 0.5% sales tax increase in SLC proper, that can only be spent within the entertainment district.

Thus the reason the SLC Council has to enact it.

The tax has a maximum implementing of 30 years.

2 Likes
1 Like

For those wondering why the county originally suggested a new Abravanel Hall may be in the cards, the renovation costs are why.

The master plan says $200-$220 Million to renovate the concert hall, with another $20-22 Million on top of that if seismic upgrades are done.

Its such a legendary building I hope they find a way to keep it.

1 Like

Have they decided upon a name for the new NHL club?