Are the Pac 12 teams a fit for the Big 12?

This is understandable but does a lack of AAU designation make other schools bad? I always think of WVU, with a widely panned academic reputation, whose mission is to provide higher education and basic skills for a largely undereducated and under-prioritized state. WVU isn’t a bad school, it’s just not a prestigious university and that’s not their mission to the their state.

What’s funny to me is when this board brings up AAU schools it also means Florida, Texas A&M, Texas, Mizzou, and Vanderbilt. It’s wild because I have Georgia friends who get livid because they have a bruised ego when they aren’t mentioned as elite. They have a point because the home of the Peabody is not a chump of a university.

I’ve brought this up before. Schools in low-income areas that educate the traditionally disadvantage, poor and minority communities should be praised.

7 Likes

Yo. You sound like an Utah responding to a BYU fan whenever BYU brings up how great a school BYU is academically.

Classic.

2 Likes

Texas played at Wyoming in 2009.

2 Likes

It’s wild because it was the first game of an Away-Home-Home.

Usually, it’s a 2 then a one. Wyoming must have a witch who cast spells on P5 schedulers.

1 Like

Do their fans actually hurl urine ballons at opposing fans or is that an urban legend? If so, what kind of piss is it? Bovine urine. …?

1 Like

It was primarily pennies and batteries in Laramie.

1 Like

Good times
JoeGlenn

6 Likes

That was in SLC. :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Don’t forget to call Wesley Ruff to get the game back on the air. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I grew up in SEC country. The internal and external hate between teams was unreal. Finally, and I don’t know how it happened, the hate became internal only. This is when the SEC SEC SEC chants started. Their brand took off from there. And they know it. It makes sense for the Big 12 to do the same.

I know Utah football is good but I don’t know how that will translate in the Big 12. All of us debate about which conference is best but we never get the chance to merge teams and play a full schedule. This is what creates even more excitement about this situation. Parity has really come to this conference and even the bottom teams can put up a fight and win. You can’t take a single off week. I expect Utah to be a top quartile team. Just like with Baylor or any other team in the Big 12, I wouldn’t bet that they will be #1. No one has risen to the top of this conference and stayed there.

I don’t know much about any PAC b’ball teams outside of UCLA and Arizona. 3 of the 4 teams joining this year will get destroyed in b’ball. Houston is the exception but they will face a gauntlet like they have never seen. I suspect some of the PAC teams will have a tough time. But, it should improve your recruiting because people want to play against the best teams.

I don’t know what to expect in terms of who you will enjoy playing versus having friction. I guess these things will develop with time. : )

1 Like

Our men’s B-Ball program has been a slow moving train wreck almost since Majerus was fired. We’ve had 2 or 3 years of being decent under a couple coaches, but mostly a train wreck. The women’s program on the other hand has had a good upward trajectory for the last 10 or so years. Just look up this past season for the women, they were really good.

Other sports, we’ve been improving thanks to the PAC. Well, except gymnastics and skiing, we’ve been good in both for decades.

Here’s to hoping that the Big XII does well in bowl season, and the NCAA tournaments.

When we went the last time Utah played at Wyoming we had a great time and were treated very well. I suspect the urine bomb stories are a myth. Also I think that when fans travel elsewhere and are treated poorly they probably did something to earn that poor treatment. I’ve been to enough away games and have always had a great time with other fans. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

The PAC was like that. You had to come ready to play every game.

Basketball is gonna be rough on us. It was rough on us in the PAC, so it will be even more so in the Big 12. Hopefully we’ll get better…soon.

1 Like

While the AAU thing happening in 2019 is great for the state and university, there are plenty of great undergrad focused universities. Maybe based on whatever criteria you choose to use you don’t think BYU is a good school, and that’s fine - but it’s fairly arbitrary that research and football would go hand in hand. (Other than maybe considering CTE research as it relates to football potentially being a net harm).

Also, I may be misunderstanding what you mean by “those mormons” but surely the religion of the football players at BYU is not a relevant criteria for disliking playing them?

I am not completely enamored by the move to the Big 12. I always felt like the PAC 12 was just the perfect fit for Utah. The away game destinations were easy to get to and the fans were very hospitable for the most part. That said, I’m glad Utah is still in a good place and I’m looking forward to playing some new teams. I probably won’t be able to get to and many away games but it will still be fun.

4 Likes

When BYU first announced they were header to the BIG12 a while ago, I noted to some of my extended family members who are BYU fans that they were joining one of the very strongest hoops conferences in the land. Now a year later Utah is headed there too. Hopefully we can recruit some strong players who stick around (had huge problems with turnover in recent years) and try to compete. Even with Texas and Oklahoma header out, this league is absolutely loaded. If anything we’ll have a lot of conference members to cheer for in March in the big dance.

2 Likes

People forget in 2021 the PAC12 had 4 teams in the sweet sixteen and 3 teams in the Elite 8. They set a record for most games won in the tournament by a single conference. I get that the Big XII is an elite hoops conference, but playing in Boulder, AZ and Utah (with BYU) will not be cake walks in hoops.

2 Likes

This really is a thing done by the middle of the conference and lower. Alabama fans don’t get satisfaction from LSU or Georgia winning. Also, the chant started happening when the SEC had multiple dominant teams winning the BCS and playoffs. It helped the egos of those mid range teams to explain their six years win seasons.

2 Likes

Other than BYU, I have generally cheered for fellow conference members to do well in post-season play. Always wanted other WAC/MWC teams to have a good showing. (An exception is that last year I pretty much wanted the LA schools to lose). This year really mixed feelings about other PAC12 teams, guess it will be pull for anyone not headed to the Big10, but beginning with the 2024 March Madness, will be pulling for the Big 12 teams (except you know who down in Provo)

4 Likes