Are the Pac 12 teams a fit for the Big 12?

won’t have to worry, they won’t be in the tourney (probably us either, but does alleviate this problem).

3 Likes

This can be debated but I will say one thing: Utah adjusts well. They weren’t ready for the PAC-12 in the first seasons but climbed the ladder quickly.

I don’t know enough about the Big12 to compare but I’m not worried about it.

3 Likes

The hubris of Texas schools was strong in that BUBearsFan72’s post. As someone who knows first hand that Pride comes before the fall when it comes to playing the Utes.

4 Likes

BUBears talks about how anyone can beat anyone…yet Oklahoma ran through their conference into the playoffs for years.

And the P12 rarely had a team in the playoffs, usually because a “ ■■■■■■ “ team beat a good team.

I think Utah will do just fine. They have the most raw talent in the Big 12 and have proven to be the most dependable P12 team.

And no more Oregon, Washington, USC, Stanford (ie, more “talented” teams)?

Yeah, we will be ok.

2 Likes

It’s wild a failure of a post season coach like Lincoln Riley had success if it was such a tough conference.

3 Likes

I think there are unique challenges playing in surroundings that are unfamiliar. Talent and depth were issues when Utah first played in the PAC12, but also (to a lesser degree) was the newness of playing in unfamiliar surroundings. Utah will likely experience that again the first few years in the Big XII. Fortunately, all the Big XII teams that come to RES will have the same issues.

They didn’t call the PAC 12 “The Conference of Cannibals” for nothing.

4 Likes

I mean, at this moment, Utah is the most talented team in the Big 12 and it’s not close. I love my Utes…but we don’t have the talent of Ohio State or Alabama.

It is what it is. I think it will be a lot of fun. But it’s not the PAC-12 or The B1G or the SEC. There is no USC or Oregon or Washington or Stanford or UCLA recruiting in the top 25, top 10 and top 5.

Utah is the best recruiting team in the conference. And Utah is a good team. But…

4 Likes

To be fair in talent Utah and TCU are neck and neck. As you can see by the 247 Talent composite:
2023 Recruit Football Team Rankings

Even in the current Pac 12 Utah is third. They would be third in the current Big XII. The other team in Utah is behind Houston and at the bottom of the league. In terms of coaching though don’t sleep on Baylor. Dave is easily a top-10 coach in college football.

Edit: everything I said in quote there ignore. I somehow pulled up the 2023 class instead of the team composite. The team composite hasn’t been released.

Moving forward, the current leader in recruiting would be UCF. Utah is sitting at 67 and falling behind quite a few Big XII schools but it’s early in the cycle.

1 Like

This. We generally get the commits a little later. Once they make a visit and see the culture and the facilities, we win them over :slight_smile: .

5 Likes

How do the old and new Big12 teams stack up in terms of revenue? This is a good summary.

5 Likes

Arizona paper ranks Arizona schools #1 and #2. Hrm.

This is the first time I really looked at a full list of the conference members and I think this might be really good for the Utah basketball team if they step up.

2 Likes

Isn’t this ranking based on USA Today’s compilation using school’s total athletic department revenues?

2 Likes

You’re right but I’m going to stick with my righteous indignation, thanks.

6 Likes

Haha…you are funny.

1 Like