Are college sports as we know them now "over?"

College sports are not ending, but college sports as we know them do seem to be ending. If schools can openly offer money to recruits, college sports will become unrecognizable to long-time fans.

7 Likes

If so, I would solely watch D3, if I watch at all.

4 Likes

I do understand what you are saying. Thank you for your post.

In my opinion, everything is constantly changing. This is just one more change.
The college sports of the 1960s might be considered unrecognizable to current fans, for example.
This change will be enjoyable to experience as the others have been.
I look forward to what comes next.

How much can something change before it’s no longer the same thing. If you take a Chevrolet and over time piece by piece replace its parts with those from a Ford, Mercedes, Toyota, etc., whereby eventually the only thing left that is Chevrolet is the logo on the front hood, is it still a Chevrolet.

5 Likes

At the point it is no longer a Chevrolet, would it be time to pull over, abandon the vehicle, and start riding a bike?

1 Like

If you’re you’re a Chevy fan you probably don’t buy one.

1 Like

I stopped buying Chevy’s when the one I bought turned out to be a Daewoo.

2 Likes

Never owned a Chevrolet.

1 Like

I’m giving you a star for the Jerry Garcia image.

2 Likes

Amen.

Not sure where to put this.

I just learned that a Texas Tech DB does not believe in space and the existence of other planets. He spent 5 years in college.

2 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: College football thread, non-Utah edition

Utah poised to enact bill to make student athlete NIL deals private

Seems like a good idea to me. As long as we are doing this, we might as well not put ourselves at a disadvantage. We are already disadvantaged, of course. Why make it worse?

Excerpt:

Utah is poised to enact legislation that would exempt student athletes’ name, image, and likeness (NIL) deals from Utah’s public records law.

Why it matters: NIL deals are a lucrative business, with college athletes collectively earning nearly $1 billion in the first year of the new rules, per Inside Higher Ed.

Driving the news: HB 202 received final passage in the Senate Friday in a 21-7 vote on the last day of Utah’s legislative session.

What we’re hearing: In an interview with Axios hours before sine die, Utah Gov. Spencer Cox said he intended to sign the bill.

• Keeping those contracts public “would put us at a competitive disadvantage where most states do not require the release of the terms of these agreements,” he said, referring to student athletes who may choose to compete in a state where those deals are not disclosed.

Context: The NCAA approved an interim policy in 2021 allowing college athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness.

• At least 32 states have passed measures regulating NIL, according to a legislation tracker.

Catch up quick: The State Records Committee last year ordered the release of NIL contracts after Deseret News requested the information from the state’s five public universities under the Utah Government Records and Management Act.

• The schools refused to supply the records and filed an appeal in court to challenge the committee’s decision, arguing the contracts are not public under the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
  • David Reymann, an attorney representing the newspaper, asserted NIL contracts don’t pertain to students’ academic or disciplinary records.

https://www.axios.com/local/salt-lake-city/2024/03/02/utah-name-image-likeness-nil-contracts-private-student-athletes?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axioslocal_saltlakecity&stream=top

1 Like

Put it into the " People who still think Trump doesn’t lie and his motives are purely Patriotic " category :thinking:

11 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: College football thread, non-Utah edition

D-III Men’s Tournament 3rd Round today.
Go, Purple Cows.

Cows lost :frowning:

Best of three Quarterfinals of the ECAC Hockey Men’s Tournament this weekend
Who will lift the Whitelaw Cup?

Hard to go wrong and pick chalk with Quinnipiac not only winning the ECAC but also winning the frozen four.

1 Like

Saying that sounds like the sound my dog makes when she vomits.

(J/K. I know nothing about college hockey and not much about the ECAC.)

2 Likes