Are college sports as we know them now "over?"

If this isn’t curbed or controlled in some way I am going to lose interest in a big way. From The Athletic:

A federal judge in Tennessee on Friday granted a preliminary injunction that prohibits the NCAA from enforcing its own rules against pay-for-play in recruiting. Effective immediately, name, image and likeness collectives can negotiate deals with recruits without fear of NCAA sanctions.

My first reaction to the news: This renders the entire plot of “Blue Chips” obsolete.

If you’ve never seen that classic 1994 college basketball film, here are the key details: Nick Nolte plays Pete Bell, a big-time coach (clearly modeled after Indiana’s Bob Knight) so desperate to get his struggling program back on track that he sells his soul and allows a booster to go buy some recruits. Stud center Neon Boudeaux (played by Shaquille O’Neal) gets a new car. The mother of Butch McCrae (Penny Hardaway) gets a house. And a big ol’ tractor shows up at the farm of Ricky Roe (former Indiana big man Matt Nover).

But an investigative reporter catches wind of the operation. Things don’t end well for coach Bell.

go-deeper
GO DEEPER
Federal judge blocks NCAA from enforcing NIL rules

I bring this up because in 1994, even a non-basketball fan walking into their local cinema would be aware that paying high school recruits was a cardinal sin. This assumption was so ingrained in the public that an entire film could be based on an NCAA violation without ever having to explain why it’s a rule.

I bring this up because in 1994, even a non-basketball fan walking into their local cinema would be aware that paying high school recruits was a cardinal sin. This assumption was so ingrained in the public that an entire film could be based on an NCAA violation without ever having to explain why it’s a rule.

The film came out Feb. 18, 1994, nearly 30 years to the day before Judge Clifton L. Corker of the Eastern District of Tennessee told the NCAA to bug off and let the Neon Boudeauxs and Ricky Roes of the world get their cars and cash.

The NCAA’s court losses have been coming so fast and furious recently that you really should take a moment to stop and reflect on how seminal some of these decisions are.

Until 2021, an athlete could lose eligibility if someone so much as bought them a hamburger. Today, thanks to a crush of states passing laws forcing the NCAA to allow NIL payments, Caitlin Clark can appear in a State Farm commercial and nobody bats an eye.

For decades, it was just accepted that players have to sit out a year if they transfer to a new school. In December, a judge in West Virginia issued an injunction allowing athletes to transfer and play immediately as many times as they want to.

And now, one of the bedrock principles of college athletics for the entirety of its existence — no giving money to recruits — has gone up in smoke in the span of three weeks.

On Jan. 30, Tennessee chancellor Donde Plowman wrote a fiery letter to NCAA president Charlie Baker ripping the organization for attempting to sanction the school over the recruitment of five-star quarterback Nico Iamaleava for entering into a lucrative NIL deal with Tennessee collective Spyre Sports. The argument itself — that the NCAA hadn’t explicitly said booster collectives can’t be involved in recruiting — was laughable. But it presented the perfect opportunity for someone to challenge the underlying rule.

Sure enough, the attorneys general of Tennessee and Virginia swiftly filed a federal suit contending the NCAA’s NIL restrictions violate antitrust law. Corker denied the plaintiffs’ temporary restraining order, but Friday, he issued a preliminary injunction that carries the same effect:

“Effective immediately, the NCAA … (is) restrained and enjoined from enforcing the NCAA Interim NIL Policy, the NCAA Bylaws or any other order authority to the extent such authority prohibits student-athletes from negotiating compensation for NIL with any third-party entity, including but not limited to boosters or a collective of boosters, until a full and final decision on the merits in the instant action.”

So Pony Exce$$ is going to become the SOP.

Well it was fun while it lasted.

5 Likes

I kinda want college football to blow up. Getting there with college basketball.

NIL players should no longer be on scholarship. Give that money to walk-ons.

8 Likes

If college sports is going to evolve into a profession league fine. But divest it from academics and student fees. No English major should be paying one cent of tuition for a paid athlete.

It’s clear college sports have become a for profit business more so now and more openly than ever before and it’s what it is. But with that acknowledged it’s time to cut the cord. The University Stadiums can lease their space to teams and no professor should have to make another accommodation to a paid athlete that they wouldn’t make to a waitress or truck driver taking their class.

And if the fans leave because it’s stupid and broken then that’s the free market at work just like with the Oakland As…

6 Likes

Good post, and not to nitpick too much, but, at the U, the teams do lease the use of the stadium. Unless @Diehard_Ute contradicts, he would know for sure.

1 Like

Agreed. The college athletics powers that be are getting what they want. I hope they’re happy with it. So in the future, promising young athletes can work hard in high school to be bigger, faster and stronger so that they can…what? Get a job playing a sport that might allow them time and enough money to go to school part-time? Or maybe they’ll just be paid minor league athletes whose team licenses its name from a university? And when they are finished playing they won’t have a degree to show for their time–they’ll have a resume showing they had a job playing minor league football, or basketball. Maybe that’s the way it always should have been.

4 Likes

Speaking of college sports, the D-III Men’s Basketball Tournament bracket was just released.

The Women’s Selection Show starts at 12:30 MT.

2 Likes

All can be said on how this ends, look at U of A. The school is running deficits and a current $160 million debt balance with no plan to pay it off. The bRuins, Cougs, Bears, and others are all in the same boat. To the school’s benefit (sort of) the State of California is not required to balance its budget, so the California schools have some leeway towards finding a solution. Arizona, Oregon, and Washington, just like Utah, all are constitutionally required to balance their budgets. (It was a little “requirement” imposed by the Debt Rating Agencies in the wake of the Great Depression.) these were the financially strapped in the PAC 12 alone. The B1G and others are also full of deficit operators who can’t come close to balancing their budgets without subsidy.

It all just reinforces the old adage “Beware of what you ask for because you might get it.”

9 Likes

I wish I could give this statement 100 stars.

5 Likes

The story of college athletics has been over for a while. This is just the bar code on the cover.

8 Likes

Yes, sadly.

It’s now just a matter of how long the death throes will last.

8 Likes

They do.

RES and the JMHC are owned by the university and leased to athletics. The lease only includes so many events

3 Likes

College sports will be around in some form for years to come, y’all.

3 Likes

But if the football team was truly an independents they would have to pay a competitive price and license fees to the U to play there as the NFL MINOR league Ites owned by the millers or whomever.

Or perhaps I’m missing some element of the financing for the current college football team :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Higher ticket prices should take care of that problem. Along with TV and radio money. I’m sure the funds will come pouring in. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

This is a fun week. Which games are you watching? Here’s a list of my interests.

Tuesday
Brigham Young at Kansas (M)

Thursday
Washington State at Utah (W)
Stanford at Utah (M)

Friday
DeSales - Williams (M)
Swarthmore - Virginia Wesleyan (M)
Coe - Wabash (M)
Millikin - Willamette (W)

Saturday
Washington at Utah (W)
Texas Christian at Brigham Young (M)
California at Utah (M)

1 Like

Tik prices would not have to be higher if football did not have to cover the cost of the entire athletic department. The ladies could stop complaining about how they don’t get fair treatment because their programs will go away. Football would just have to pay for football.

1 Like

Go, Cougars!
Hello, NET rankings.

I watched a good portion of the recent UNLV at Wyoming game.
I chuckled when I heard that UNLV still hosts the Mountain West Championships every year.

For those who have the notion that college sports is ending, here’s a lovely fan discussion of the D-III Men’s first round which starts tomorrow.

In addition, Lunardi argues for an 80-team basketball tournament.