A stroll down memory lane

Post your favorite Utah Football vids and memories here!

I’ll start with Joe Williams 300+ yard performance against UCLA in 2016. I was at that game!

One more for good measure. Was at this game as well.

5 Likes

Easily the best Utah-byu game, 1988 in SLC.

4 Likes

1994 Utah-Colorado State

4 Likes

The Rice Bowl…Temp never broke 32 degrees that day. The Feral cats living under the student section got spooked in the 2nd Quarter and ran out scaring the living ■■■■ out of folks. The space bag beach balls wouldn’t stay blown up due to the cold.

And we won 57-28.

GO UTES!!!

3 Likes

34-31 (in Provo)

3 Likes

That was so much fun. We had some guys in their mid- 20’s who had tickets in front of us. I was 32. Anyway, after the victory and the goal posts are down, we see one of them riding on the goal post as it was carried down the field.

Dennis Smith was Brant Kuithie before Brant Kuithie.

4 Likes

That was also a really fun game to attend. Afterwards we ran into a couple of players with their parents at a 7/11 and we all were high fiving.

3 Likes

We were there. Some UCLA girl was sitting with her friends a few seats away from us. I had put my hat on the seat next to me and gone to the restroom. My wife is still sitting there with some friends and the UCLA gal walks up, grabs my hat and just starts walking away. My wife went right after her. 55 year old woman vs. 18 year old girl - match over.

3 Likes

2005 game in Provo. BYU fans had never been so sure of their victory. LOL

7 Likes

I went to that game with my brother-in-law, who was at that time, working for the UofU, and working on a PhD at BYU (long story…). He was (of course) cheering for Utah.

We both went thinking after Bryan Johnson’s injury, that this was an almost certain loss.

We were both SOOO pleasantly surprised. One of my favorite Ute games of all time.

5 Likes

I went with another teenager who was living at my house at the time. Back then my grandparents were huge BYU fans, and they gifted us season tickets to BYU football every year. I went to the games because that meant I got to go to the Utah game. We were sitting in the middle of the BYU season ticket holder area (big BYU families like the Coveys and Reynolds sat next to us). The guy I sat next to for years flipped his lid when we showed up in red. He talked crap for 30 minutes leading up to the game. I didn’t say a word. By halftime he switched places with his daughter who had been sitting next to us as if to protect her from the evil Ute fan. He of course could only talk stadium size smack at that point. I kept my mouth shut but the other kid I was with ran his mouth a bit. As BYU made their way back this guys smack talk kicked back up again.

I’ve never seen a fan disappear so quickly after a game. This is a guy who I had sat next to for years that treated me like a convicted felon simply because a wore red.

Funny thing is, one of my old friends, who is a huge Ute fan, married that guy’s daughter.

Never a sweeter victory than that game in my book.

6 Likes

Utah - Air Force 1995

I was just home from my mission, and actually working concessions at the games. As a result, I got to see very little of the games, besides the last half of the 4th quarter. By the time we were done closing up concessions, the stadium was pretty much empty, we were down 21-7 and there were just a few minutes left.
Finally scored a TD with 41 seconds left, 2 pt conversion, onside kick, touchdown on the next play, and then an interception (that was run back for a TD, but called back for an illegal block). Incredible ending that only a few of us saw.

7 Likes

This thread would be incomplete without a clip from this game, which I also managed to see in person.

6 Likes

I didn’t remember special teams being such a huge component in that game!

1 Like

Yergeson’s 55 yarder in 1993.

The best thing about this highlight is right as the ball sails through the uprights, about 5 seconds in to the video, you’ll notice a guy right below the right goalpost. Older guy, brown jacket and tan pants. He just jumps for joy, arms raised triumphantly. That guy witnessed far too many beat-downs in the 70s and 80s. He’s seen some ■■■■ and you can tell that for him watching the ball go through the uprights is one of the greatest days of his life. I remember noticing him on the highlights the night of the game and always wondered who this fine man is.

3 Likes

This was a cool find. I remember this game well. I think there might be an interview with Big Rick in this clip too.

3 Likes

I’m not THAT guy on the field, but am one of the fans who were there and indeed I had suffered through a lot of beat downs in Salt Lake and Provo all those years and while I was there at the Rice Bowl in 1988, this one was special. Chris is lining up for that long kick and Zoob fans all around us are laughing and saying he has NO chance in heck (their fans would NEVER swear) of making it and they are confident that after he misses, the mighty Cougars will storm down the field for their preordained win. Chris makes it, the Utah fans are going crazy, and the Zoobs are sitting there in stunned silence. Beautiful day.

4 Likes

[quote=“UteBrave, post:4, topic:3670”]

1994 Utah-Colorado State

My favorite part about this game was as my family was watching the Lusk pick 6 to seal the victory, right about as he was crossing the end zone to score, we have this very loud knock on our back door. We open the door and it is our neighbor that was so excited he hopped the fence to come celebrate with us.

5 Likes

That’s a great story.