2024 football schedule

It sounds like he is actually a pretty good recruiter and QB whisperer, but I am sure being related to Urban didn’t hurt his chances at being hired at Utah. :wink:

3 Likes

Looking at the RB room, we should be OK as long as the guys learn to run through contact. For smaller backs picking a scrape point on the tackler and hitting it hard.

It is what Covey did when making contact. Truth is he knew he wasn’t going to truck anybody, but he knew he could ricochet forward.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t think the inherit nature of Central Florida v Salt Lake City is the thing that’s exciting. It’s the style of play of both teams and a good coach in Gus Mahlzahn vs Kyle Whittingham. As a football fan who loves seeing styles of play this is a fun matchup.

So my excitement is that I see it as a fun matchup on the field more than the logos on the helmets.

Also, sorry if the Book of Mormon gif was offensive. Totally wasn’t trying to offend. More pointing out the Orlando song.

Harlan did a podcast with Canzano and Wilner the other day and talked about OOC scheduling. Wilner asked “Harlan how will the 12 team playoff affect the regular season?” Harlan mentioned byu was on Utahs OOC schedule for the next decade, because of that Utah has a game to schedule every year.

Harlan believes, if you are 10-2 in the Big XII your in (even if your not the conference championship). He mentions you do not want to schedule yourself out of a playoff spot. I’m taking that as Utah and other teams will likely begin to dumb down their OOC schedules. Just some possible fallout from a new playoff format

1 Like

3 Likes

247Sports ranked the Utes’ 2024 schedule as the 5th easiest among power programs. Forgive me for not being overly excited about that…

4 Likes

I agree.

The Pac12 gave us both academic and athletic credentials. The Big 12 gives us neither. I’m really worried that being in the Big 12 is going to drag us down.

I just don’t care about the conference. And being forced to play byu-provo every year is just a waste of a game.

8 Likes

Everything will be as it should.

1 Like

I’m happy we have an easier schedule.

3 Likes

Hmmm, I didnt expect this, but I like it.

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1757404759412076969?t=0Wy8RhbM8KXU2WZjiChkbw&s=19

7 Likes

So for the Alamo, will they avoid the 4-corner schools to not play Big12? Grab probably one of the B1G teams (assuming Stanford and Cal won’t be great teams). Who slots them? PAC2 commish? CFP committee? (probably just ESPN, but Sun is CBS)

I guess this makes sense since the 12-team CFP is only set up for 2 years so far …

2 Likes

The article I read stated that the bowls have a pecking order for selecting teams and it is likely that the pecking order would still exist but the bowls would be able to pick any bowl eligible team (not in CFP) and not be restricted by wins and losses. So, a 6-6 USC could be selected to the Alamo Bowl (first pick) over a 10-2 Arizona.

1 Like

Winning is definitely more fun than losing. And beating a bunch of really good teams - like in those four straight Pac-12 CCG seasons - is pretty great to experience as a fan.

5 Likes

What’s wild before each of those P12 CCG in 2022 TCU/KState was higher ranked than SC, in 2021 Ok State/BYU/Baylor were higher ranked than Oregon, in 2019 Baylor was ranked higher than Oregon, and 2018 UCF was ranked higher than Washington.

So, every P12 opponent for the CCG was ranked lower than your future conference mates. In recent years multiple teams. hmmmm.

2 Likes

This can’t be true. :wink:

You seem to be referring to CCG opponents specifically- I was talking about highly successful, winning seasons with a strong schedule.

3 Likes

I’m just pointing out that your schedule would have been stronger in the Big XII. You guys should realize your are joining a more successful conference in terms of teams than the one you just left. This season was more the outlier in terms of football talent. Which matters more regarding the 12-team playoff that I expect Utah to participate in.

2 Likes

We’ve heard you beat this into the ground now and we understand your opinion. Some of us still disagree and that’s ok. Give it a rest.

7 Likes

Agree. Some of us would still be rather playing Oregon, Washington, UCLA and Southern Cal than any of the Big 12 alternatives, regardless of “strength of schedule”. Maybe that will eventually change, but it won’t be right away.

8 Likes

I understand that notion. Connections and associated emotional memories die hard sometimes.
I still miss playing Wyoming and Colorado State regularly.

1 Like