2024-2025 Recruiting

Its showtime for Hunter Erickson.

Ring is there for him to grab.

(tic)

2 Likes

If they could pay whatever Larry Kā€™s buyout was, then they (whoever they are) can Pay Devion to stay.

Assuming everyone at Ut St follows Sprinkle to Washington Rollie could go back there & start.

2 Likes

Without the benefit of a lot of NIL information, what does Deivon bring to the table for next season?

He might be worth more money on a bigger stageā€¦ but Utah is going to have more eyeballs on our team next year, so weā€™ll be on a bigger stage, to begin with.

Is he worth $200,000? $500,000? More?

Iā€™ve never heard of Northwestern State, but they had a freshman in 22-23 who got $1.5M via T-Mobile. Northwestern Stateā€™s Hansel Enmanuel inks NIL deal with T-Mobile - On3

I donā€™t think thereā€™s any doubt who our feature player would be in our first year in the B12.

2 Likes

Reilly opened his show with the news about Rolly. Itā€™s kinda sad heā€™s leaving, but the current operation of NIL and the portal are what they are - a killer of college athletics.

3 Likes

Isnā€™t the simplest and therefore most likely explanation for whatā€™s going on that Smith and Madsen are returning and they have a lock on the point and 2 guard?

Smith made himself an NBA possibility this season after flat out busting following a much ballyhooed recruitment. Heā€™s got to know heā€™s found his groove and itā€™s now time to dig in where heā€™s found huge success. I see a man of character. Yes, heā€™s entitled to serious NIL, but he must know his priority has to be continuing the trajectory he gained at Utah.

5 Likes

Hope you are correct

2 Likes

Itā€™s impossible to be too prepared for the next level, but if Deivon keeps improving his 3 game and takes another step with ball handling, another year on a team with good chemistry could help him, IMO.

The PAC-12 had a lot of athletes, but rounding out his game in the Big-12 could improve his stock a lot.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve read repeatedly that Deivon canā€™t transfer again. Do we know if thatā€™s true? Based on the latest posts here it looks like he can.

1 Like

I canā€™t find anything hard and fast.

NCAA Releases Statement On Courtā€™s Significant Transfer Ruling (msn.com)

There were some complications in Deivonā€™s case that led to his being impacted by the case in West Virginia, where other transfer-rule exceptions were cleared earlier, like Ian Martinez at Utah State.

Meanwhile, BYUā€™s Marcus Adams hit the portal again last week, after stops at Kansas, Gonzaga & BYU.

Without a broad rule change by the NCAA, the complicating factors in Deivonā€™s case may make him less likely to be able to transfer again, IMO. I donā€™t think he wants to go through that process again.

It appears the wild west hasnā€™t appeared, quite yetā€¦entirely.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve got to think that keeping Deivon at Utah is a matter of great attention in the basketball program, Athletics Department, Crimson Collective, and the Crimson Club. Probably even on Taylor Randallā€™s desk. At least I hope so.

2 Likes

There is an injunction against enforcing the multi-transfer rule through the 2023-24 academic year.
So for right now anyone can transfer as many times as they want through he portal.
The Dept of Justice has joined in the suit against the NCAA;

I wouldnā€™t bet on the NCAA prevailing, so players can come & go whenever they can cash in.

If the Utes wants to be a winner they have to keep Devionā€”that falls more on Harlan & Taylor Randall than Craig Smith.

2 Likes

We have months to see who goes where. There are so many possibilities.

Rather than letting the courts run this, it seems to me it would make sense for Congress to pass some rules. At least that way we would know what the rules are. (I acknowledge that this may be a slightly pollyannish way of thinking.)

2 Likes

Congress couldnā€™t pass their own stay of execution right now.

9 Likes

You feel that the federal government should create laws about sports?

Maybe they could pass a kidney stone.

4 Likes

Say all you want about the permissive transfer rules. But if the NCAA had its way, Deivin Smith would have spent the season not playing and still floundering in his failed past.

1 Like

No one here is arguing in support of that alternative.

6 Likes

How much NIL will it take to make Utah a player on the national stage? Iā€™m guessing $1.5 - 2. We can all put our $25 per month into the Collective and I am board for that, but some big cats are required to get the type of $$ needed to compete at that level and I am not sure that those people are very interested in doing that. With Jon Sr. gone, the Huntsman family is onto other things. I am told that Spence Eccles is not really into NIL. The Garffs have given a lot. Who else is there?

1 Like

Under Smith the HS recruiting hasnā€™t been nearly as good as we need it to be to compete so heā€™s going to have to hit the portal hard. I have no idea if we have the money to get great players.

2 Likes