2023 WBB Discussion

Anyone looking at the play and call without reference to time or score would call the foul.

3 Likes

Agreed. Not every second in a game is the same as the others. The closing seconds of a game are different. That’s why good referees are often reluctant to make a close call in the closing seconds that will change a game’s outcome. In the case of the Iowa-UConn game, I believe the foul was obvious and intentional and such a call should be called whenever it occurs. Just my opinion.

Which is probably one reason why Rick Majerus said “This game is impossible to officiate.” As hard as we try, we can’t find a way to make officials’ calls perfect. I’m sure AI will solve this problem. :wink:

3 Likes

AI will solve the problem by putting us all to work in the mines. We won’t have silly things like college basketball to worry about then!

5 Likes

Perhaps, we are already there.

I have a sneaking suspicion Iowa is going to get smoked today. Clark is a remarkable player, but SC has a much more complete team. Staley is a hell of a coach and will create a solid game plan for her. While Clark came through in the end, UConn showed that she can be forced into taking lots of really bad shots.

Would be a hell of a story if she did, but as good as she is, I’m not sure CC can win it all on her own.

2 Likes

Whichever team wins today it will be a great story. I won’t be surprised if the Women’s Final has more people watching it than the Men’s Final.

3 Likes

I remember a time when it was acceptable to openly deride women’s sports.

And thankfully we are well past that.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t go that far.

Good for South Carolina. I kind of wanted Iowa to win, but so be it. At least LSU didn’t win it.

1 Like

Dawn Staley is so easy to root for.

Caitlin about to be like:

South Carolina had 37 bench points while Iowa had zero. That’s the real story. Roster deeeeeeeep

4 Likes

I was impressed by the other players from Iowa who stepped up, but SC just has way too much talent, 9 deep.

Staley gave a lot of credit to an assistant who stayed up late scouting, put together the game plan and explained to the players. Haven’t heard that before.

Great game, both teams are winners.

2 Likes

Yep, SC was just too damn good.

A perfect season in any sport is truly remarkable. Congrats to Staley and SC and to Clark and Iowa for a sensational run.

Well, there are certainly corners of the internet and certain people where that discussion still happens.

Thankfully, those corners and people have proven themselves over and over to have little to no value and can be easily ignored.

2 Likes

Class move by Staley to specifically thank Caitlin Clark for lifting up the entire sport.

Time will tell, but Clark’s run is a bit like Larry Bird, IMO. That Final Four in the Huntsman Center signaled a big leap up for the college game and the NBA.

9 Likes

Well, Larry and Magic both really. So, who is the next star to continue building the women’s game, ala Jordan after Bird/Magic?

1 Like

Not a surprise…at all.

1 Like

Especially since it was on TBS and not a network

3 Likes

Well, White is in the portal. Hernandez, the touted Spanish recruit, who never played, is also in the portal. The ones should be gone are still around. Other than Jenna Johnson, we have nobody in the 4 and 5 positions as of now. Still can’t believe Crispe was one of the first to come off the bench for a high level P5 team.

The average height of next year’s starting players may be around 5’8". :joy:

1 Like

Would like to get OSU forward from Ogden. She’s in the portal. P12 6th POY award winner. 6’3”

2 Likes

Not a suprise to me that White is in the portal. Two years and couldn’t break the rotation, it was on my mind all year that she was gone. She won’t start over Kneepkens, McQueen or Wilke and she was recruited over with the new class. She would be great player for a bit lower level.

@Diehard_Ute talked about missing Hernandez as being a blow to our bigs action this year, so I wonder what is up with her. It seems she would have received a lot of playing time next year if healthy.

Agree with you that Crispe barely saw the court and is not a power conference player, Blanck couldn’t see the floor unless it was major garbage time.

Really sad that Palmer was only able to play a few games this year. Those 14 points a game she averaged and her ability to shoot 3s really hurt, even beyond Kneepkens.

OK, hit that portal hard for a C and a PF coach.

4 Likes