2023-4 Gymnastics

Anyone else watching the gymnastics meet on ABC? 1 OU, 3 LSU, 4 Utah, 5 UCLA.

Leotards are lit according to one of my kids.

I watched the second half after arriving home. By the last rotation Utah caught up with UCLA and LSU in a tie for second, but UCLA and LSU put up big numbers beam and bars, and Utah wobbled a bit on vault. Disappointing they couldn’t score over 197.

We just switched to FUBO again to watch B-Ball and Gymnastics. Would love to see the ski team somehow.

1 Like

We won the last PAC 12 Championship tonight with a team score of 198.000. Maile O’Keefe won the beam with a 10.000.

5 Likes

from utahutes.com article
For the fourth year in a row, the Red Rocks claimed the Pac-12 Women’s Gymnastics Championship.

Utah will await its NCAA Regional destination following the conference championship weekend. The Utes will be sent to the NCAA host site of either Arkansas, California, Florida or Michigan. The 2024 NCAA Regionals will run Wednesday, April 3, through Sunday, April 7.

3 Likes

Great news! After too much turmoil glad the team had another banner. I dream of getting another national Championship as well.

Fingers crossed we tear through regionals!

3 Likes

That’s going to be rough this year.

Oklahoma just broke the all time ncaa scoring record. They could always falter, but if they don’t I don’t think anyone will come close to them.

2 Likes

While waiting for the WBB game to come on, I watched a bit and saw the judges give them two 10’s. I read an article about the score inflation in the NCAA, and not a surprise that they could break the record, at home.

3 Likes

Data show that Utah’s high score is less than Oklahoma’s average score.

1 Like

The end of Pac-12 gymnastics is very unfortunate, especially considering the conference the Red Rocks will be in next year.

4 Likes

What do you mean?

Next year it’s us and Denver (Oklahoma to the SEC) Having OSU, CAL, UCLA in the same conference has been great for our level of competition.

4 Likes

I understand your point.
However, it’s worth saying that all of our national championships were from our independent era.

Sure, as long as the program has the support it does Utah will be fine - there is enough support to always be a top 5-8 program and I’m sure we’ll have all our more difficult meets scheduled non-con. But the new Big-12 is nowhere near the outgoing PAC.

3 Likes

That’s a different era, different level of national competition, though.

2 Likes

Exactly - our last natty was nearly 30 years ago. We’ve come close but haven’t gotten there. Part of that is Utahs success back then made collegiate gymnastics what it is today

I don’t really like KJ Kindlers approach but she’s the best right now ( optimizing a routine to get a 10 and repeating with every gymnast, I’m pretty sure all of their bars routines are the same or close)

2 Likes

The Pac-12 has eight schools in the top 30 in gymnastics, the Big12 has one (I’m not counting Oklahoma…they’re gone). ‘Step down’ doesn’t cut it, try ‘slap in the face’. Yet another reason we have to hope the Big12 era only lasts a year or two.

5 Likes

This Big12 thing sounds bad.

1 Like

NCAA Championships - Gainesville Regional 11a MT TODAY

Live stream | utahutes.com preview

3 Likes

The Big 10 has 10 schools with gymnastics and will be adding UCLA and Washington. I would love to see the Red Rocks negotiate their way into the Big 10 in gymnastics, maybe with Arizona. If not, I am sure they will be able to put together a decent schedule. The ACC only has 4 schools with gymnastics program, so we should be able to do something with Stanford and Cal. I can’t believe Washington won’t want some closer competitions as will Oregon St. I’m guessing UCLA will stay away from scheduling the Red Rocks. They have been successful scheduling with other national powers and I don’t see why that won’t continue

2 Likes