2023-4 Gymnastics

Might as well go independent. We never had a problem scheduling prior to the Pac-12.

UCLA and Utah have already said they will continue scheduling each other.

Gymnastics often doesn’t compete against all schools in the conference, and you can have up to
4 teams in a meet.

Utah’s scheduling will be fine

3 Likes

Didn’t get to watch it, but Utah won their ‘2nd round’ (there was a play-in 1st round). Scored 197.825 to beat out Mich St. 197.475 (both advance to Regional Finals) against likely Florida and Georgia (Missouri, Iowa State the other 2 in that 2nd round).

For comparison, OU (clear #1) scored 198.050, Alabama scored 197.450 and will compete against Penn St and Ohio St, both just short of 197 (so OU and Bama likely to advance)

LSU (197.800), Arkansas (197.325), Kentucky (197.100), Minnesota (196.950) compete in another Regional final.

The Berkeley final will probably be DU, UCLA, Cal, Auburn.

Good sign that so far, OU is the only one with higher 2nd round scores. LSU right on our heels, but they are #2 seed overall. #3 Cal, #4 FL, and maybe #6 DU on a good day might do so.

2 Likes

Yep. Big XII gymnastics never hurt Oklahoma.

1 Like

Gymnastics is an individual sport; this is not offense v defense, etc.

Other than an unwelcome visiting environment, there is very little the teams can do to affect the performance of each other.
Conference affiliation, opponents, etc. have near zero effect on the performance of the team.

That said,
NCAA Championships - Gainesville Regional Final 3p MT TODAY

Live stream | Live stats

Anyone watch the Red Rocks today? trying to find any opportunity to watch if anyone can report in.

We fell flat and had to count a break on bars, then rallied and miraculously took second. On to nationals for the 48th straight time!

If you have ESPN+ the meet should be available for replay

5 Likes

Good job Red Rocks! They’ll definitely need to overcome the worst bars rotation in 7 years and hold steady to get into the top 4. I think it’s OU’s to lose, but Utah on their best day might get 2nd or 3rd - 4 schools scored 198.250 or above in the Regional Finals (OU, UF, Cal, LSU).

I’m a little surprised Michigan and Georgia had a drop off this year - didn’t even get to Regional Finals. Stanford stepped up and not only knocked out Auburn, but also moved on to Nationals with Cal (Denver, ASU, who upset UCLA, both out)

2 Likes

2024 NCAA Championships - Semifinal TODAY 7p MT on ESPN2.

#5 Utah will complete disciplines with #1 Oklahoma, #4 Florida, and #6 Alabama.
The top-two teams will advance to the NCAA Championship final on Saturday.

Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 5.48.31 AM

2 Likes

Utes win their Semi-final and advance to the Nationals. Florida also advances. Favorite Oklahoma had a rough night. They an Alabama miss out.

https://twitter.com/BodkinKSLsports/status/1781156115675525204?t=qVVnoNjzJh-Nso6MdGpUbw&s=19

Final four will be Utah, LSU, Florida and CAL

9 Likes

Crazy. I think it comes down to Utah or LSU and I hope it’s the Utes

5 Likes

2 Likes

This is their best chance to win a national championship in a LONG time.

6 Likes

Final Four national rankings

Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 6.47.49 AM

Something tells me the difference between winning and fourth place may be a couple of wobbles.

Time to get ready for a barn burner.

3 Likes

Watching last night was one of the most nerve wracking sporting events I have watched for a long time. Fantastic beam set carried the night. Need to find a way to increase vault from 49.200 to 49.350.

Something is wrong with Jaeden Rucker. She appears to not be having fun and has lost confidence. I hope she can turn in some solid routines in the final meet of her life.

5 Likes

Jaeden has been wildly inconsistent all year. A little while ago she spoke about some mental health stress she has endured this year. So has Carly D.

With so much on the line, they should substitute her out of vault and floor for Ella Zirbes. But I bet they don’t. They could overcome a fall on floor, but there’s too much risk with a fall on vault that somebody else might fall and they would have to count it

1 Like

The 2024 NC women’s gymnastics championship is set to begin TODAY at 2pm MT.

• :woman_cartwheeling: Teams: (2) LSU, (3) California, (4) Florida, (5) Utah
  • :round_pushpin: Where: Dickies Arena | Forth Worth, Texas
  • :tv: How to watch: ABC | Live stream | Live stats

2 Likes

Trailed by 0.175 after 1 rotation, 0.100 after 2, up 0.0375 after 3. Huge floor rotation. DROPPED a 9.900 (good thing)! Vault sticks will win it. LSU on beam. Florida out. Cal will have to come from behind to win.

GO RED ROCKS