2022-2023 Recruiting

Utes talking to 2023 6’8" SF Marqus Marion from Denmark.

Bump

Utes are involved with 2023 SF 6’8" Donovan Sontoro. He’s from Austin, TX. Playing his Sr. year in southern California,

3 Likes

2023 4* prospect Keanu Dawes made his official visit to Utah this weekend. He spent some of his youth in SLC and was a regular at Ute hoops games. He’s currently the Utes top recruiting target.

Give him some love if you are so inclined.

7 Likes

:crossed_fingers: here’s hoping

1 Like

ugh. I mean, Rice is a good school, but sports = CUSA > PAC12? And our top target? wow

Perhaps give the kid the benefit of the doubt. He wants to get a good education, and BBall is the mechanism towards that education.

Not saying he couldn’t get a good education at Utah, just trying to soften the blow.

Kids will do what kids will do. Hope it works out for him, unless he is playing us. :wink:

dam this would have been a huge get for us. I get the draw of the home town team. Bummer for the Utes

This is a sweet pic by the way

Yep, and I’m originally from Pittsburgh and a lifelong Steelers fan. I feel I’m getting hit from all angles at once. I’m getting desperate for something good to happen, even if it was from some HS kid in Texas, which was another fail. Maybe this weekend, huh?

Recruiting in 2022 is what it is.

Texas A&M and BYU also lost out on that kid. I would have never expected Rice to beat those 3

And, I saw a recap of Utah basketball in an article the other day. I think all of us remember the 90’s more fondly than they were. While Utah won, we really only had “big wins” over the course of 4 years….and that’s been 20+ years ago

Craig Smith & is staff are good recruiters, they just don’t have a great product to sell.
No teenager knows the Utah BB history that occurred before they were born.
They need Wasatch Academy & foreign kids to start with—which they now have & then need to make a national splash in a tournament.

2 Likes

Well, come March, hopefully Coach Smith has a good product and the team can make a splash.

Let’s hope we can draw up some good inbound plays and maybe get a rebound every now and again.

1 Like

FWIW - I heard a comment on sports radio (ESPN700) this afternoon, that this kid got a substantially larger NIL deal at Rice than he was offered anywhere else. Not sure if this is really true, but if so, we’ll probably hear confirmation and more details about it in the future.

Unfortunately, I think you’re dead on.

1 Like

“Top tier” may need a new definition. As this seems to be devolving into another form of professional sports, it may be a worthy discussion to determine if we want to play in it at all? When getting a top tier education (opening doors for future opportunities) for playing a sport isn’t enough…it’s probably time to look at other opportunities for the revenues being committed by the university general fund to athletics.

In short, maybe it’s time for athletics to be operated as an enterprise operation, and have to operate wholly and solely on its revenue streams.

3 Likes

I don’t think that would bother me in the least.

1 Like