Your Favorite Ute Highlights Thread

This should be a FUN thread. I’ll go first!

I was the only person clapping in Rock Bottom Brewing - Portland when Louie swung that leg.

7 Likes

Most of the game sucked, but that ending…hoo boy. Still the loudest I’ve ever heard RES.

“This is a well built stadium. This press box is shaking right now” is my favorite line from an Utah broadcast (narrowly edging out “Wow, wow, wow.”

9 Likes
7 Likes

My house had just recently acquired a significant amount of hash.
We spent most of the game listening on the radio.
90s Salt Lake, baby.

1 Like
5 Likes

Oregon is still looking for their jock straps on this one

9 Likes

I received many congrats in Kells - Portland as this victory was shaping up.

6 Likes
7 Likes

Wow. Wow.

The game, of course.

But Majerus, Thomas Herrion, Warfield, Scalley, Alex, Fifita, Pouha, Savoy, Warren, Moa, Savage.

That year we were at church when Herrion sang an old negro spiritual, acapella, had everyone on their feet, women crying. Powerful. Then gone not long after. The 49ers bought his mom the house he wanted to provide.

We beat Cal that year, too. Alex Smith vs Aaron Rodgers.

Special year, the next even better.

6 Likes

What a wonderful thread! I was in attendance at all of these games except the Freedom Bowl … Great times!

My first of many bowl games was the 2003 Liberty Bowl, which was a defensive struggle for both teams, still in doubt with 2 minutes left and Utah holding a tenuous 10-0 lead. Southern Miss had a lot of near success in the entire second half, while Utah had struggles mightily Then…

5 Likes

Another personal favorite… I was at this game with my BYU alum BIL, expecting a bad lose for Utah as a result of losing Brian Johnson to an injury late in the previous week’s game.

(Edit to say: for some reason, it won’t embed this link at the time I wanted - go to 3:26 in the video).

5 Likes

I was at the same game, up in the north end zone at LES. When BYU QB John Beck’s pass fell to the turf signaling the end of the game, it was euphoria, Ute fans going crazy, fans hugging people they didn’t know.

Especially considering Ratliff was a new starter after Johnson got injured the previous week against New Mexico, the expectation on both sides was BYU would get a needed win to counter the two bitter defeats against Meyer.

That win was Whitt’s first in the BYU series, the first of many more. The tide in Utah-BYU changed even more, that game.

4 Likes
6 Likes

I grew up with the guy tearing the phone book. Mel Farr. Great kid.

3 Likes
4 Likes

I was at that game, fresh off my mission. That will always be a core memory.

2 Likes

Here is another core memory. I wasn’t at this one, but vividly remember watching with my dad and brothers, and then plotting how to get to San Antonio.

5 Likes

Bullseye! The great Joe Beninati on the call.

2 Likes

Watched at home. When the Utes won I took my Ute flag off the house and waved it around and like others started plotting our trip. Cobbled together a bunch of Southwest segments. SLC to Phoenix, Phoenix to Lubbock and Lubbock to Austin, car rental and drive to San Antonio. The Rose Bowls, Sugar Bowl and Fiesta were great, but the Final Four was my best sports trip ever.

4 Likes