Who's old enough to remember

…when the milkman came to your house early every morning, and one of the many items you could order was cottage cheese, with fresh, finely chopped, chive?

I’ve been eating it that way ever since :slight_smile:

Winder Dairy’s big silver porch box, ftw

Always looked forward to our weekly delivery of Beep (this weird orange punch…thing that we loved as kids)

2 Likes

We had a milk cow, so…

3 Likes

Drove to Lehi to get milk from a farm owned by one of my dad’s work buddies.

Never had it delivered that way, but I remember having my mom ask me to go cut off some fresh chives from the garden so she could make the same concoction. It’s delicious.

I remember sneaking into the back of his truck to steal some shaved ice.
I think it was Clover Club Dairy.

Yup, that’s the item.

A related memory:

when I was about 12, I had a paper route, and in those days you had to collect from all your clients, to pay your bill each month. If people chose to avoid paying you, which a small few did, you had very little recourse, you would simply lose money.

I had one client who always avoided answering the door when I came to collect, would never pay me, and would issue a complaint if I stopped delivering the paper (which resulted in a fine imposed by the newspaper agency corporation, that came out of my pocket).

I started putting a special order form in their milkbox every Friday morning requesting a quart of chocolate milk on Sunday morning to which I would help myself. I always enjoyed my ill-gotten gains in a way that I’ve never enjoyed any dairy before or since.

As I type this, it occurs to me that if the lady of the house was consistent with her treatment of all vendors, I may have been stealing it from the milkman. :frowning:

4 Likes

I had a relative that was a milkman and I worked with him before school. He would drop me off at HS when it was time and he would finish the route. I delivered to a house early one morning and had to go in a back door to get to the milk box. It was like a little mud room with another glass door leading to the kitchen. Milk box was right next to the kitchen door. I went in, put the milk in the box, and the lady of the house was cooking breakfast at the stove completely naked. She called the dairy to complain but they told her I did nothing wrong. I delivered there many times but never saw her again.

2 Likes
  1. Cooking breakfast naked seems like a safety issue. Wouldn’t a little PPE against splatters seem prudent?
  2. Why did something like this never happen to me?
1 Like

Read your 1st statement. That is the reason for the 2nd statement.

1 Like

Well excuse me for wanting the naughty bits to be protected from injury to assure safe access later.

1 Like

My late uncle was a milkman in SLC, after WW2 and into the 1950s.

When my father was stationed in Naples, several times a year for long stretches, I’d visit my grandparents in a small town east of London. This was early 1960s, one morning, my first time to do so, I brought in the milk bottles from the poach. I opened one, had a stiff paper plug of a stop with an aluminized paper crown cap. Anyway, I poured myself a cup and it tasted absolutely phenomenal. I’d never tasted milk like that. Later that morning when everyone else got into the milk, well I learned something. In the UK, the milk was not homogenized. The cream was at the top and I had poured it off that morning. That created some embarrassment for me and laughs all around. So in the future I got the job of not only bringing in the milk, but preparing it properly for all of us to enjoy. Funny, how I still remember that morning.

4 Likes

As an 80s kid I mostly remember Kool-Aid. Lots and lots of Kool-Aid.

2 Likes

The proliferation of 7-11’s. They used to be something we stopped at when traveling. Then they became a neighborhood convenience store.

In the early 60’s, it was the Variety Store, also frequented by LAUte. Remember the Twirl Town Toy rack? Seems like it also had one of those claw machines.
Guy that owned it also owned the Brighton General Store. I’m drawing a blank on his name.

Yup, I spent a portion of my allowance and some of my lawn mowing money on junk off the TTTR every month or so when I was young.

I grew up in the Avenues… Anyone remember Folland’s Drug Store, that used to occupy the southwest corner of Sixth Avenue and E Street? There was a grocery store next door to the east, (perhaps a Safeway?) which had a TTTR. The whole block was demolished in the mid 60’s and the current Smith’s complex built in it’s place.

Folland’s was an old fashioned drug store with a long counter, and a great soda fountain. I bought a lot of milk shakes there as a young kid.

Seems like Salt Lake Drug East, at 15th and 15th, was also owned by Folland.

We had the same thing in Salt Lake City when I was very young. The milkman left the dairy products in an aluminum box on our porch. The cream would be at the top of the milk, and my mom would pour that part off and use it for other things. At that age I thought the cream was a strange foreign substance and I didn’t really want to be involved with it.

Interestingly, and the first two or three years we lived in our first house in Los Angeles (early 1980s), there was still “milkman” service. It finally petered out after a couple more years.

Does anybody else remember Heber Valley milk? The milk came in large gallon bottles. We would drop by Heber Valley Milk depots and pick up milk and other dairy products. I think there was window service. As I recall, the stuff was pretty good. My family went there for years.

My wife’s family had a cabin in Midway, and her father grew up on a farm near Brigham City. He was not found of the milk (not sure why) that was available in the SL Valley, so he frequently bought most milk products in Midway for decades, until whenever they stopped being available.

1 Like

The corner of Parleys & Wyoming right? Good times.

1 Like