Who's going to the Utah Wazzu game tonight?

Just curious

:raised_hand: I’ll be there

1 Like

Me, @Ma-ake , and @phantomtofu will all be there.

2 Likes

Unfortunately my turn (happens about 6 times a year) to be on call for work all weekend so can’t make either game. (Hoops schedule came out too late to try to be switch with anyone since the weekend goes through to New Years. At least they double the compensation for holidays).

Will be watching though. Eagerly looking forward to UCLA’s last visit to the Hunty in a few weeks.

2 Likes

Crazy that Utah was down by 6 at one point in the 2nd half, and then won by 22

3 Likes

80-58 is a great score to be on the winning end of. Sounds like a total shellacking even though it really wasn’t.

7 Likes

A few thoughts…

When we were down 6 I thought, “Good teams know how to bounce back from this” and I wasn’t disappointed! Gabe Madsen really gave us the spark we needed. Keba was a beast. Brandon was Brandon. But I’m starting to really gain confidence in this squad. In the second half we really started making all of the hustle plays and played lock down defense. The only true area of improvement from this game for me was the rebounding, but all in all this was a great win against what looks like a quality opponent. It was fun to shoot the breeze with @Ma-ake and @phantomtofu as well as Tofu’s Dad. I think the Tourney might be in our sights!

9 Likes

It was interesting that the best line-up was Smith, Wooster, Madsen, BC and Keita. That really is a line-up with only 2 3 point threats. The ball movement with that group was very good. It will be interesting to see how minutes are divided moving forward.

8 Likes

That was Smith’s go-to lineup and he stuck with it for a long time. I like the idea of having Keita and D.Smith coming off the bench to give the team a spark. Doesn’t matter who starts, it’s who gets the minutes in crunch time.

2 Likes

We were there. Good crowd and when the 2nd half run got going it was fun to feel the energy in there. (Maybe 35 MUSS in attendance. I know it’s break, but still ….)

A 46 to 18 run to close out a game is not just good, it’s amazing. Madsen just got red hot. Keita is visibly better every game. Loved D. Smith tonight. He’s lightning fast and his fast break two handed dunk was impressive.

I’m starting to be a believer. I hope there are a lot of others there Sunday afternoon.

9 Likes

That game was a blast! It had all the elements - adversity, getting out played, the refs getting the crowd riled up, then when Gabe hit the corner 3 things really took off.

When teams double BC down on the block, Keita will be an option, but more often than not it will open up a shooter, or a driver.

This team is a lot of fun to watch.

The Huskies lost a close one to CU - starters played through the end of the game - so we should be able to wear them out on Sunday.

7 Likes

It was in the second half. After Wazzu went up 40-34, Utah went on a 46-18 run to end the game. They DESTROYED Wazzu in that second half. If they can play defense like that all of conference play, they’re going to be seriously hard to beat. That was IMPRESSIVE. Wazzu is also arguably the best defensive team in the PAC and Utah totally smashed them

4 Likes

Didn’t realize WSU is also a tall team, coming in at 7th in ncaa. Utah’ ave is 6’7 1/2” and WSU is 6’7”…no meaningful difference there.

5 Likes

Great win to start conference play. The Dawgs lost to the Buffs tonight so our guys need to be ready. No one likes to get swept on a road trip, and the Huskies aren’t a bad team.

On to the next game. GO UTES!!!

2 Likes

The Huskies did beat Gonzaga

1 Like

Wazzu out-rebounded the Utes by 15 and had over 20 offensive rebounds. It’s amazing the Utes won at all with that disparity. That is the crazy stat of the game.

4 Likes

Yet somehow, it still felt like we couldn’t pull down a defensive board to save our lives until the final six minutes. That may just be me though.

Looking forward to UW, that one should be a better test…

2 Likes

The Huskies are a tough one to figure out. After beating Gonzaga I watched them pull out a double-OT miracle home win against the mighty Seattle U, a bottom-half WAC team. But all in all, yes they do look like a decent team.

2 Likes

I think Wazzu might be better than Washington

2 Likes

Wazzu is like the best offensive rebounding team in the country. That was legit the only stat they won tonight. Without all those offensive rebounds, Utah would have won by 40. Utah was absolutely dynamite in that second half tonight. They looked like a Top 25 team.

3 Likes