Well, it was fun while it lasted

Meanwhile as far as the game goes. Credit and respect to BYU who thoroughly outplayed us. In particular they owned us on third down plays on both sides of the ball. Perhaps the Cougars may be better than we expected. Of course this is their “Super Bowl” and they brought an intensity that we seemed to lack last night. Maybe down the road a few years when they have a Big-12 schedule and a conference title to compete for, this game will drop a bit in meaning the way it has for us.

Now it’s on to the Aztecs (playing in the LA Galaxy Stadium). They opened winning against NM State (who I presume is still in the FBS) then crushed Arizona in Tucson last night so will come in with a lot of confidence.

1 Like

although painful, last night’s ass kicking will be good for the program long term I believe. A reset of sorts. In the past I’ve liked how this coaching staff rebounds after a loss.

Our fanbase (myself included) coaching staff and players needed a dose of humility in regards to the BYU game IMO.

“Pride makes us artificial, humility makes us real” Thomas Merton

1 Like

We got slapped like red headed step children. It was absolute garbage. There was 0 fire from the players. There was 0 creativity. Call a screen when they bring 7 dudes for hells sake.

Josh Newman’s report is spot-on, IMO:

1 Like

Not criticizing him, but rather my prediction. And the number of “opportunities” from last night will require an Investigational Review Board.

Yeah, there’s a lot more to fret than the result of this or any other game. We share that same friend. It’s really tragic. A neighbor just lost a baby at six months into the pregnancy. I can’t imagine that pain. My DIL’s mother probably needs abdominal surgery and she’s not in the best of condtion to do well in that. There are a lot more things to focus on than the results of something I watch for entertainment that didn’t go the way I’d hoped.

2 Likes

If we are fortunate, we just got our WTF loss out of the way.

6 Likes

Excellent point.

2 Likes

My main thought is that we know Utah can win without a QB, without an offensive line, and without WRs. But we cannot win without a defensive line. That is our identity - “Sack Lake City”. We didn’t pressure the QB last season, and it was rough. We didn’t pressure the QB on Saturday. If we don’t get pressure on the QB this season, we will finish at under .500, no matter how good any of the other pieces are.

Tough loss because (1) it really makes me afraid for the rest of the season and (2) BYU was so beatable. They had multipe 3-and-outs, and even in an unwatchably awful performance, we were 1 stop away from a chance to win at the end.

Thought from conversations with my brothers: we need our starting QB to be a team captain, and we need him to act like a team captain. Hall willed BYU to victory on Sat, and we need to see that fire from Brewer going forward.

Random final thought: BYU is clearly on the rise. They were good last season, but we didn’t know how good. Now they have momentum for the first time in ages. The Big 12, an actual sellout, good players in the NFL after a long drought, etc. And, they have a better WR corps than us for the first time since Austin Collie (and our WR corps have been nothing to write home about).

2 Likes

I think, more importantly, they have swagger. Perhaps last season was better for them than any of us gave them credit for. They developed an attitude of we can beat anyone, aside from Coastal Carolina. Yeah, it was a ton of cupcakes, but they learned how to win.

3 Likes

There is something to say about a culture of winning. Sure, you need challenges and be able to grit out tough ones when things aren’t going your way, but just having belief is a huge mental hurdle. You need leaders or people to step up and say ‘give me the ball’ without over-trying or forcing things, just ballers. Coney was one of them but with limited touches, can’t do much. Bernard accelerated into this, but I agree, you need a qb that gets in that huddle and rallies the team, maybe even audibles the play - that’s what an experienced qb should be allowed to do.

I watched to the end and although BYU outplayed us in just about every aspect, especially in the trenches, one pick-6 on that last drive and we win. We did not, but to be one stop away or one freak play (normal for this rivalry), that’s not what the team looked like - low energy, low urgency. I’m not being a homer and saying we almost won, because we got our butts beat in, but crazier things have happened. Our team’s body language (except Bernard) looked like they wanted to throw up they were so defeated.

5 Likes

couple of random thoughts:

• being honest there are a 2-3 games during this 9 game rivalry streak where Utah didn’t play well, but BYU made just enough mistakes (turnovers) that Utah pulled it out. We we’re fortunate. BYU didn’t make any of those same mistakes on Saturday (credit to them)

• where I was most impressed with BYU is where they’ve typically been good – their offensive line is much improved over where it was 5 years ago

• BYU blitzed Utah quite a bit on Saturday, clearly our offensive line didn’t handle it very well. I don’t think its an issue with talent as much as it was schemes and picking up the wrong man, or double teaming while letting another player loose. We always seem to struggle with the OL early on every year. Que angry Jim Harding

• I believe if this were a best of 5 series like the NBA/MLB, Utah would show it is the better team. Same with USC/Stanford, Ohio St/Oregon, Texas/Arkansas. Not putting Utah in the same category as those schools, but I think there’s a talent differential that would play out longer term. But upsets are what make college football great

• the last 3 meaningful Utah games 1) 2019 – PAC12 Championship game 2) 2019 Alamo Bowl, 3) last Saturday … have all been dreadful performances, that’s concerning

• the North division of the Pac12 looked sketchy week 1, it was the South’s turn week 2 (fortunately UCLA, Oregon have kept this conference afloat so far)

• I see some people taking shots at Brewer for the loss, I didn’t see that on Saturday. I think he’ll be solid providing he’s given time

• Sancho seems to be in an extra bad mood because Stanford won :smirk:

4 Likes

That was the most lackadaisical effort since UNLV ‘07. That flat as day old Mountain Dew performance reminds me of that game. That loss launched that team on a massive win streak and Sugar Bowl trophy. Here’s hoping that pathetic effort on Saturday does the same for this team.

6 Likes

This is what has bothered me the most.

3 Likes

One thing I will also note. I haven’t seen anyone say that “we beat ourselves”. Credit where credit is due. The other team beat us.

2 Likes

We beat ourselves.

3 Likes