Welcome to the Taiga! (Ok it’s Magna)

Last night’s drop definitely folded up my pine tree. This storm WAS NOT Utah’s traditional powdery stuff. I guess Oregon got their revenge by sending us Cascade Concrete. Due to the lack of plowing around midnight, folks working graveyard shift who use U111 couldn’t get to work due to the layer of ice on the road.

We definitely need more to start breaking the drought.

My son tried to go to work last night. He works graveyard at the Amazon center in West Jordan. Due to the layer of ice on the road under the snow, he could even get out of the neighborhood. A neighbor with a four wheel drive couldn’t climb the hill to get out of the subdivision, also, due to the ice. We did get the plows this morning. Their scrapings turned into icebergs by the time we got to shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. Had to move an even dozen of those out of the way so if I leave today, I would t rip the oil pan out of my car. :grimacing:

It took all three of my 80v batteries in my snow thrower to clear the driveway. The batteries got so hot from powering the snow thrower I had to wait to put them on the charger to recharge,

Just finished shoveling; 8-10 inches of new snow - just about a mile south of the U.

Hopefully this means we now have enough snow for XC skiing at places like Mountain Dell :slight_smile:

It needs to snow like this every other day until about mid February to make a dent in the drought though :frowning:

2 Likes

Ive had a battery operated mower for some time now. It’s amazing. I also have an 80v Greenworks blower but only use it for under 4 inches. What are you using and do you love it? Did it handle the 12-16 inches okay?

[quote=“Greginslc, post:1, topic:6700”]

Last night’s drop definitely folded up my pine tree. This storm WAS NOT Utah’s traditional powdery stuff. I guess Oregon got their revenge by sending us Cascade Concrete. Due to the lack of plowing around midnight, folks working graveyard shift who use U111 couldn’t get to work due to the layer of ice on the roads.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

2 Likes

I have a full fleet of 80v yard tools. The only gas powered piece of equipment I have left is my chipper/shredder. Been thinking I might want to get the chainsaw, but I already have a corded electric chainsaw and a corded electric polesaw. For this storm we let the snow thrower sort of run across the top of the really heavy stuff first, then followed up cleaning up the bottom level of snow. I have used it (and my power shovel) on drops as big as a foot. It takes me longer than my neighbors with the 10HP two stage self-propelled machines; but the truth is we really don’t get storms like these but a couple of times a year, so spending $1k on the big dawg wasn’t something I could do.

1 Like

Our two-stage always seemed a little bit like overkill with the champagne powder of Salt Lake City, but every now and then you get a storm like this and that’s when they’re really appreciate being able to hurl some really heavy wet snow

1 Like

It never made much sense for my small driveway. I only shoveled maybe one time last year. Today my neighbor did a bunch of my driveway with his little snowblower which was really nice. It doesn’t take long for me to subtle l shovel anyway.

Shoveling makes no sense to me when blowers are readily available at reasonable prices.

I traded in my Ariel’s 2 stage for a Honda 1 stage.

The 2 stage was overkill, if there was leases than 4 inches I would just shovel because it wasn’t worth maneuvering that tank around. And the Ariens needed a carb overhaul every season regardless of how well I summer-ized it.

The Honda starts up every season with minimal fuss. It’s so more maneuverable and easy to use.

My neighbor who’s a retired Chief mechanic for the state, advised to always buy gasoline without the ethonol added to it. Select stations in town offer non-ethonol gas apparently keeping small single phase motors from gunking Up

1 Like

I always pump out as much leftover gas as I can and burn out the rest at the end of lawnmower and snowblower seasons. I also use Staybil. That seems to prevent the gunk issue.

3 Likes

Definitely agree with this. Ethanol attracts water 50 times more than our gasoline. It’s ok to use E10 when running regularly like a lawn mower in the summer. But if it’s going to sit for more than a month or two, ethanol free is better. Sta-bil, Seafoam, etc. help by keeping gas from absorbing water.

2 Likes