Welcome to the Big 12

It did. I still call the local grocery that moved into the space “Not-Albertsons” when I shop there. They’ve had several purchases/renames. It’s currently a Macey’s.

:notes: Albertsons… It’s your store…:notes:

1 Like

My untrained eye says the Big XII made enough acquisitions to survive.

1 Like

Welcome back to Utefans! What do we need to know about B12 FB officiating?
I asked my Sooner buddy to sum it up and he described it as “selective incompetence”.

2 Likes

Is that really any better than the PAC officiating? Maybe, in that the PAC officiating looked plain incompetent.

1 Like

Hopefully, this doesn’t get a flag anymore.

i

Eh, I always thought it was stupid, but it’s a clear taunt. After this year, I hope UT and OU take it with them to the SEC and Big12 drops it and moves on. Some don’t even have a hand sign (or have one but use it very little rather than horns down, even when not playing UT!). Still a taunt just as if an opponent did the O-U or who knows with the TCU fangs or Baylor bear claw or Tech finger guns (maybe blow the smoke or holster them?) or ASU shocker. Who else has a sign? I know KSU has something. Does Iowa St. spin in circles like a cyclone? Rock Chalk Jayhawk, but is there a sign? Either cougar team? We’ve now got Bears, Bearcats, and Wildcats (who Bear down). I digress…

1 Like

It was only fun because of how much of an overreaction their fans and team would give the ones doing it. It’s all really stupid if you step 20 yards back. We’re giving billions to watch grown ■■■ men play a sport on all levels.

2 Likes

We get BYU players making the upside down “U” a lot. Instead of getting butt-hurt wanting officials to call a penalty, we just proceed to try to win the game.

4 Likes

Yeah, the whole “stomping on logos” and hand gestures are funny. I know Alabama fans get mad when someone put a Cam Newton Jersey on the Coach Bryant statue. Then that redneck Alabama fan from Texas poisoned the Auburn trees. It’s all just too stupid.

2 Likes

That one went beyond taunting. If I remember correctly, that guy did some jail time?

3 Likes

Oh yeah. He was a psycho. Luckily it was just trees he poisoned. There are always stories around the Iron Bowl where some years someone shoots and kills a friend who pulls for the other team. Just crazy.

1 Like

Upside down “U”? That’s a rainbow. I can live with that.

hush, don’t tell that to BYU.

2 Likes

Tell that to byu? I don’t even speak their language.

3 Likes

Even better, perhaps they won’t make the modern connection about rainbows.

4 Likes

This is such an asinine and bizarre statement.

First off, Houston is one of the most urban P5s in the nation and is very much a liberal city. Secondly, what the heck does attending a football game have to do with political affiliation? I’ve not once went into a football or basketball game (home or away) and looked at the people around me and asked myself, “is the guy sitting next to me a liberal?”

I don’t understand this cultural/political fit people keep harping on with conference realignment. If that were really true, then the Big 12 would have looked elsewhere based on their “political weirdness” and religious ties.

So one of two things occurred to why the Big 12 invited the likes of ASU and Utah:

1. The Big 12 and their red state universities were willing to look beyond cultural and religious differences and welcome these schools with open arms. They aren’t above anyone.

2)They need to position themselves as the P3 conference and don’t give a crap about any of that.

Yeah, I’m gonna go with option 2. You are part of the problem with certain fanbases having a sign on their back heading in their new conference.

Try keeping an open mind.

5 Likes

To be fair, Utah is also a deep red state. I live in Davis County, where that little Black American girl committed suicide – talk about sad.

Although I absolutely deplore the political situations of deep red states – Utah included – there are great people everywhere. Sure, what aTm just went through with the McElroy situation was deplorable, especially for a higher education institution, aTm is in SEC and this is about football. I guess having spent 20 years in TX and traveled all over the south gives me an an added perspective, fwiw.

Oh, B10 has plenty of $hitty deep red states in Ohio, Indiana, Nebraska, etc.

4 Likes

I was fine with your post until I read this. And I will say YOU are part of the problem generalizing attributes to an entire fan base based on the comment of one poster on a message board or a few twittiots on social media.

3 Likes

There’s no doubt in my mind shady sh*t goes down at all institutions. The McElroy situation is just bonkers to me and really, really sad.

I have a niece and nephew who both attend TAMU and I’m certain opening week there’s going to be damage control with some sort of Diversity and Inclusion Town Halls.

‘Deplorable’ is a strong word when describing political affiliations. That is taking the 10% extremists from either side and grouping them with the rest of the batch. Not really an accurate depiction of the whole and reckless IMO.

I don’t associate college athletics with politics. Don’t really see a need for it. In fact, it’s one of the few opportunities where someone that voted for Biden will turn around and high five some that voted for Trump because they are cheering for their alma mater after a TD, a dunk, or home run.

That’s what makes sports beautiful.

3 Likes

I won’t be the one judging a Ute fan. I’ll be the first to invite them to my tailgate if I see them walking by. Just saying others will be.

1 Like