Way too early 2024 2+ deep

I’ve tried to piece together what the roster might look like going into 2024. Still a few that have to announce they are coming back (Kuithe) and we might get some portal guys that fit into the 2-deep. Probably could still use a field-stretching WR, DB, and maybe a proven QB2. The trenches are looking pretty good.

Not always sure about the different WR and TE positions, but these are my best guesses with relatively limited FB experience other than armchair QB. Flame away - I’m sure there are all sorts of mistakes as well as different opinions.

We might have 7! Seniors starting on defense and 7-8 on offense. This is the year to push (and get a training staff that can keep them healthy :wink: ).

Pos Player 1 Player 2 Player 3
OFFENSE
WR-X Parks, Money SR Mbanasor, Sidney RS FR Williams, Zacharyus FR?
WR-Z Caldarella, Luca SR/TR Zipperer, Daidren SO Washington, David FR?
WR-R Pittman, Mycah RS SR/TR McClain, Munir RS SR/TR
LT Fano, Spencer SO Lomu, Caleb SO Kaumatule, Falcon RS SR
LG Kump, Jaren SR Moea’i, Solatoa SO
OC Faaiu, Kolinu’u RS JR Maea, Johnny SR
RG Mokofisi, Michael RS JR Harrison, Alex RS SR
RT Togiai, Tanoa RS JR Garcia, Isaiah FR
TE-Y Suguturaga, Miki RS SR Ryan, Carsen JR/TR Bentley, Dallen JR/TR
TE-U Kuithe, Brant SR? King, Landen RS JR/TR
QB Rising, Cameron RS SR/TR Rose, Brandon RS SO Wilson, Isaac FR
RB Bernard, Micah RS SR Anthony Woods JR/TR Glover, Jaylon JR; Randle; Stanley
DEFENSE
LDE Fillinger, Van RS SR Fano, Logan SO Nawahine, Gavin RS SR
LDT Tafuna, Junior SR Pepa, Simote RS JR
RDT Tanuvasa, Keanu RS SO Fotu, Tevita RS JR/TR
RDE O’Toole, Connor SR John Henry Daley SO/TR Lea’ea, Jonah SO
ROVER Reid, Karene SR Calvert, Josh RS SR/TR
MAC Damuni, Levani RS SR/TR
STUD Barton, Lander JR Fotu, Sione JR Calvert, Josh RS SR/TR
LCB Johnson, Kenan SR/TR Blocker, CJ SO FR
SS Hall, Johnathan SO Allen, Briton RS SR/TR
FS Ritchie, Nate JR Allen, Briton RS SR/TR
RCB Vaughn, Zemaiah SR Davis, Elijah RS SO
NB Johnson, Tao RS SO (moves to S?) Snowden, Smith SO
SPECIAL TEAMS
PT Bouwmeester, Jack JR/TR Becker, Cole SR/TR
PK Becker, Cole SR/TR Cheek, Joey RS SO
KO Becker, Cole SR/TR Carter, Chase SR/TR
LS Greep, JT SR Castor, Logan RS SO
H Bouwmeester, Jack JR/TR
PR Pittman, Mycah RS SR/TR Davis, Elijah RS SO
KR Parks, Money SR Davis, Elijah RS SO

Thanks for posting this. It’s not as bad as I thought! Just like everyone else, I am hoping we can do some real damage in the portal to fill this roster out.

8 Likes

Yes, more help is needed. I know we’ve gone over this many times before, but the WR group needs to get much better. I like parks, but he’s not a next-level player. Pittman could be good, but he’s never healthy. McClain has showed flashes, but he hasn’t been consistent. I know little to nothing about Caldarella, Zipperer, Mbanasor, or the others.

Utah always seems to be fine at RB, but I’m a little worried about that position. Bernard is a gamer, but he’s not an every-down back, I don’t think. Glover needs to get stronger, but he’s an OK backup. Perhaps the three freshman have a high ceiling. I’m not sure. The wildcard could be Woods, but going from Idaho to Utah and the Big-12 is a big jump.

1 Like

Micah seems like a potential every-down back, but probably 10-15 touches a game. Probably not the 3rd and short back. He can run (more of a scat-back), receive, and does decently at pass block. But guessing RB will be by committee, not having that 1 marque 1000 yard, 15 TD rusher.

I agree WR room probably needs to get better.

When I’m looking at this roster with a lot of contributing Seniors, I can see Whit ride this year and then step down. Will be a good time for the next guy to reload with some key pieces in place but a lot to replace. Plus the NIL, portal, and getting through the covid cohort seems to make the job a different one Kyle enjoys.

2 Likes

I agree. Then again, maybe Kyle will pull such a back out of the portal. We can always hope.

1 Like

It’ll take them 2 years to learn our super-special scheme :wink:

1 Like

True. It’s understandable. Sometimes they need to hit the line at the right tackle spot, sometimes at the left. Now and then, right up the middle. Than there’s pass blocking.

3 Likes

Is Curry back next year?

What’s the bold type identify?

1 Like

Seniors. Italics is new (FR or TR)

2 Likes

Given the number of seniors, we really need this to be our year.

3 Likes

Exactly. And for the most part, this will be the last year for extra covid year players. I guess unless they also had a RS and can be around for a 6th year.

As stated above, if I were Whitt, I’d be all in this year then peace out afterwards, riding his Harley into the sunset. Or at least up the road to his post-coaching “special assistant to the athletics director”. His contract runs through the 2027 season.

If Whittingham coaches all the way through the end of the contract on Dec. 31, 2027, his role as special assistant to the AD would last for six years and pay him one-sixth of his total compensation. Retirement between Jan. 1, 2025, and Dec. 30, 2027, triggers seven years and one-seventh of total compensation.

1 Like

Yes, he is.

1 Like

Wasn’t Ritchie a true frosh in 2020 (covid, wouldn’t count), then mission, and played last year. He might be a junior book-wise, but doesn’t he have three years left?

Didn’t he stay under five games last year?

Maybe. I just took what I found elsewhere and added a year. There are some SRs that might have 2 years left as well. Might be easier to state number of years left, but I don’t know an easy way to do that. Plus medical RS, covid year. Soon it will be back to ‘you have 5 years to play 4’ unless you have a med RS.

1 Like