Utes vs. Demon Deacons

I think 77 was the doom, you were probably just the gloom :laughing:.

For real though, MBB has often been frustrating as hell to watch the last few years. Great to get a quality win… let’s hope to see some real consistency this year.

5 Likes

Dr Gloom…haha

2 Likes

Having a twin towers defense can definitely have its advantages when playing zone.

3 Likes

Deacons were on fire the first half (started 7-8 from 3 pt range I believe) Going to zone in the second half forced their outside shooters further away from the basket. Many of their attempts were well beyond NBA range and their percentage dropped considerably as a result.

Great play in clutch time. Closing out the close games against good teams make a huge difference in your post season resume.

Wow. That means the rest of the way they went 3 for 18. Good adjustment.

That made me LoL. That was good.

1 Like

My takes:

1. Great coaching to change up the defenses in the 2nd half

2. Coaches need to have foul shooting as a priority

3. Still frustrating when our supposed shooters can’t hit a wide open 3

4. Branden Carlson - What a performance. We need that confident Carlson

3 Likes

Just watched a replay. Tried to spot Exacte on the bench, but did not see him. The Utes showed some grit. Stayed with the game plan and fed the big guy. Bajema has been a huge pickup. Madsen has had tough shooting nights and was off again. without Bajema, I don’t think the Utes win that one. So far I would say he is a net positive from Lazar. He plays within the offense. Lazar was always dribbling and the offense lost flow.

I don’t expect the Utes to beat Houston and it will be interesting to see how they do against some high level athleticism.

1 Like

Exacte was on the bench in street clothes. I thought his injury was short term , but maybe not?

Basketball is the best sport.

I think it’s a Quad 1 win, so definitely good.

Even if we can’t beat Houston, either St Johns (Rick Pitino) or Dayton would be the opponent for 3rd place game. Good, solid opponents recognizable on the resume (hopefully 2-1 or better in the tournament!).

2 Likes

Good start in today’s game. It would be amazing if Utah kept it up.

Missed free throws killing us.

I just turned it on, hopefully I’ll bring a good luck rally

54-50, I’m taking all the credit

Heck of an effort by the Utes. Houston is very good, and Utah gave them everything they could handle.

3 Likes

I looked for him, as well. He was there, as Sweetgrass said - and maybe more importantly, he was dialed in watching Smith’s play drawing, and was genuinely stoked when the team was making its run.

Someone tweeted that he re-aggravated his injury a couple of days ago.

1 Like

but Keita was out with an injury today. He might be back Sunday

Houston was a game we sorely missed the athleticism of Keita and Exacte. But no excuses, you play with you who have available. Hopefully one/both of them comes back soon.

3 Likes