Utes still #7 in College Football Playoff poll

Well if we are looking for just the 1 eliminate all teams with 1 loss. If you lose one time clearly you aren’t number one using your logic. If we eliminate a one loss team who lost to an undefeated team clearly we can eliminate a team who lost to a multi-loss team, no?

I’m not sure I follow. We do need 4 teams, so you have include a team with 1 loss. It’s not the one loss that is keeping Bama out. It’s the fact that Bama isn’t as good as LSU. Utah might be better than LSU. We don’t know that.

In other words, Bama might be the second best team in America. But we know they aren’t the best team. With Utah, we don’t know. Maybe they are the 8th best team or the 14th best or the 1st. If we are searching for the best, we can eliminate Bama but not Utah.

1 Like

Sooooo…you agree Alabama never had the ball with a chance to take the lead?

Cool.

Now to answer your question, that’s what I was talking about.

A one loss conference champion making the playoffs is perfectly logical. Now, what’s illogical is having a team that is unequivocally not the best team in their conference try to argue that they need a chance to prove they’re the best team in the nation. That’s crazy talk. And just because it’s been said in years past doesn’t mean it wasn’t crazy then, and isn’t crazy now.

1 Like

Nope. There were two times in the first half and Tua had a turnover. Then Down 33-13 at half and come back in the second half. LSU fans and Alumni admit they don’t want to see Alabama again because they have seen what happens. It doesn’t matter. Utah controls it’s destiny.

Also, it’s not crazy to have rematch for titles. It happens in every level of sport.

4 best teams means 4 best teams. I get the anti-SEC feeling. I would hate to see it myself. I’m not an S-E-C! S-E-C! S-E-C! fan. That said, 4 best teams could also mean two teams who played each other. I wouldn’t be shocked in the future we have two conferences with two teams or even one conference with three teams. It’s about who is the best and we can tell when a conference is down (see ACC and Big 12 this season).

In basketball the NCAA chooses a champion. What would March Madness be like if every team were chosen by committee using computer data? Yes, many teams are chosen that way but that’s entirely different.

I get the objection. That said, Ohio State got in 2016. Who did they get in over? The Big 10 Champion Penn State. So, the committee chose a Non-Champion over a Champion of the same conference who HAD BEAT THE TEAM IN HEAD TO HEAD. Y’all acting like this system is not known to make random 8 Ball type decisions.

The whole thing is subjective at 4 & 8. As I’ve stated the only way to eliminate subjectivity is to do 10 Conference champs and 6 at large teams. If we don’t do that we are going to have a subjective test and that’s where the arguments of the importance of Conference Championships come in. I mentioned the Ohio State v. Penn State v. Washington debacle from 2016. This is a pretty inciteful article from then: Penn State’s Big Ten title and win over Ohio State mattered. But other things mattered, too. - SBNation.com

No, but part of a message board that is fun is to get everyone to discuss and flush the idea out. Much like the example I stated above where a Conference Champion was left out for a team in their own conference that they had beat. It’s not out of the realm for a bananas situation to occur.

Also, I think I’ve stated 4 times I believe Utah is in. My argument is Alabama belongs in over P12 Oregon if they for some fluky reason beat Utah or Oklahoma. I don’t believe all Conference Titles matter and I don’t think Utah fans do either. If for some reason Clemson loses before the ACC Title game I think we all would agree they have zero argument to be in even with an ACC Title.

2 Likes

You’d rather play LSU in Atlanta than in New Orleans. That’s about the least surprising revelation. I think Utah beats LSU either way. Their Offense is Great, their Defense is not. You have a better Defense and can probably hold them better than Alabama did.

2 Likes

It’s actually nice to see you again. You always took your roastings well, but you also post a lot of relevant, valid (albeit sometimes different) perspectives. A few times you were just off your rocker. :wink:

3 Likes

This is actually an interesting topic. I don’t have the time to confirm it, but it seems to me that in some seasons past, the committee has considered logistics and location when arranging the final top 4. So let’s say the top 4 is any of 1) LSU/Georgia, 2)Ohio State/Penn State, 3) Clemson, 4) Oregon/Utah.

Geographically the BIG seems somewhat isolated no matter if they land in #1/#2 spot.

Does the committee play around with #3 and #4 seeds to keep a southern team in Atlanta and a Western team in Phoenix for the semis?

Also regarding the topic of conference championships: under the current system, I think they should most importantly matter. But the committee has previously set a precedent against this idea. I will always believe it was a travesty that a 1-loss Ohio State team, which didn’t even make it’s CCG was included in the playoff. That team lost 31-0 in the semis.

And with that memory, I’ve probably answered my original question because that season (2016) the committee could have sent Washington to play Clemson in Phoenix as opposed to Alabama in Atlanta. Washington went in as a #4 seed conference champion and Ohio State went in as a #3 seed “didn’t even compete in their CCG” team.

They tend to try to keep #1 and #2 closest to their bowl tie-in if possible. So, this year the Peach (SEC, ACC) and Fiesta (at Large with a history of B12). So, basically LSU will be in Atlanta if at #1 or #2. Ohio State Fiesta and their opponents based on ranking.

Also, I get the Ohio State comment on your edit but they also were proven right putting Alabama in when they won the title over SEC Champ UGA.

1 Like

Ok, and also the opening kickoff. You got me. But I think you get the point I was trying to make, which wasn’t if there was a point in the first 5 minutes of the game that Alabama could have had a lead.

And it is crazy to have a rematch. Show me another sport that only has 4 teams in a playoff (or 3.1% of teams) and allows rematches.

You mean 6%. Let’s not act like Non-P5 teams have a shot. Really, not even that close because about half of the P5 have zero shot. They begrudgingly put Minnesota in the Top 10 for a minute.

I get what you are saying that it wasn’t back a forth. But, let’s not forget how OU didn’t have a shot most of the Baylor game and came back. Now imagine Alabama was doing that against #1. That l said, I don’t advocate for them to be in the playoff. I think Utah wins out they got it. I have issues when comparing Oregon or Oklahoma though. It’s subjective but I don’t value conference title games. More so when Clemson will play an unranked team and there is a good chance B12 will also have the same thing.

Yes, Utefans and the Socratic search for the truth…

I agree. The SEC has looked a lot more like the old Pac-10 with strong offenses and suspect defenses this year. I like our chances in that game a lot.

2 Likes

Exactly how I see it

1 Like

Hahaha I so want to believe. :slight_smile: