Utes still #7 in College Football Playoff poll

A lot of love for both Utah and Oregon from the ESPN analysts

I figured there wouldn’t be much movement from 1-7 because all took care of business.

Glad to hear Utah and Oregon getting some buzz. Can’t wait to see both win out, meet up in Santa Clara and hopefully have a few key losses happen to teams in front of them.

We’re gearing up for something very special, folks. Enjoy the ride!

4 Likes

Not much love among these geniuses.

And here’s ESPN’s breakdown, including the venerated FPI>

http://www.espn.com/college-football/playoffPicture

Now Alabama’s SOS is #4 of the top 10?

The message is clear: win and we are in. I think it’s a certainty as long as LSU beats Georgia.

2 Likes

Utah is the only team that is in (without UGA winning). Oregon and Oklahoma are probably not getting in over Alabama.

1 Like

Is it bad that I snicker every time someone says Southern Cal because I know it irks a good amount of their hardcore fans?

7 Likes

Including the ones in Frisco?

1 Like

I’m still angry we lost to a directional college.

7 Likes

Nope.

3 Likes

So why does it irk their fans?

1 Like

Well there is the University of California, at Berkeley, who refer to themselves as Cal, so the directional school to the south, being called Southern Cal, makes sense to me :grinning:

Wasn’t there a Southern Cal “Greg” that used to frequent this board? What ever happened to him?

1 Like

Bama’s out. All three of those get in over Bama because they’re playing a CCG and Bama is sitting home. This isn’t the Bama team that beat a bunch of ranked teams. Their best win would be over an 8-4 Auburn team. Oklahoma would have more wins over top 25, and Oregon or Utah would have a win over a top 10 team. The loss to Auburn in week 1 doesn’t matter that much, because of how long back it was. Bama needs LSU and OSU to win out, and then needs everyone else around them to lose, including Utah, Oregon, OU, Minnesota, Penn St., etc. Any of those teams winning their title game will keep Penn St. out.

1 Like

Right. In addition to that, contrary to popular belief, L.A. (and especially the greater L.A. area) is a lot more conservative than people think/realize. USC itself is far more conservative than Berkeley historically speaking, so they also take offense to being affiliated name-wise in that sense as well.

1 Like

Not only that, but with USC ranked now our loss to them doesn’t look quite so bad. And I guess we could cross our fingers and hope that Washington is ranked again by end of season, but they might not sneak in again. I still feel like it’s “win and we’re in”

1 Like

Nope. Utah is the only team that will get the nod. Common opponents matter. Alabama bearing the one team Oregon beat and only losing to the #1 team is big. Not to mention Alabama’s SOS is actually better when the season ends over Oregon. Stronger SOS, better record over common opponent and Oregon has to hope Southern Cal stays on Top 25.

I actually think OU has a better shot than Oregon. I think people are throwing dirt on Alabama’s grave prematurely. These voters are pro-SEC

So if Georgia knocks off LSU and wins the SEC do North Carolina, Alabama, Missouri, Florida, Tennessee, Appalachian State, and Texas A&M all get in ahead of Georgia? You’re just putting way too much stock into a single game. Teams have bad games and good games, you can’t just let a team’s worst game dictate how you treat them.

I am not. I also brought up SOS and the fact Alabama’s only loss was to the #1 team By 5 points and not be a 4 loss team that the team you are head to head against beat. But, what do I know? It’s not like the committee has ever put a team in based on name brand and conference they prefer.

Fact is, Oregon has struggle wins against Washington State. I am not sure they make it to the PAC 12 without losing (Civil War comes to mind).

Utah will destroy Oregon IMHO.

Agree re Oregon, and re Bamas OOC schedule