Utes in the olympics

Anyone else on the edge of their seat seeing if Makayla would make it on the team? My daughter and I were cheering that she would make it in after being an alternate in 2016. She got in as an individual competitor, just missing out on the team competition. Vault seems to be her thing and the strength she brings. McCallum (will be a Ute this fall) made it as the 4th.

Yup…thought her chance was finishing after the floor exercise. Glad she finished pretty strong on the vault.

My wife and I have been following her and delighted to see her success post college. Go Makayla! Go RED ROCKS!!!

2 Likes

Yeah, with them looking for strength on floor and vault, her floor put her at risk. She nailed vault (15.2 and 15.3 something!). I think it makes sense that they grabbed McCallum with slightly higher all-around potential or to fill in for injury/illness while keeping options open with Makayla for event finals - likely vault rather than using her for team finals.

1 Like

Sadly we’ve seen the last of MyKayla Skinner in the JMHC, she announced she’s retiring after the Olympics.

She’ll return to the U to finish her degree but will not compete.

3 Likes

With the withdrawal of Simone Biles from the team competition, does this open a door for one of our Red Rocks to represent?

To answer my own question.

Kenny Mayne is unwatchable on these broadcasts. Its painful watching him try his dry shtick on guests, co-hosts, etc.

It’s official now. MyKayla will be in the individual vault in place of Biles. I’m really happy for her. She’s been through a lot to get this chance.

1 Like

MyKayla Skinner wins silver

6 Likes