Utah vs UCLA MBB

Sprinkling BEAR all over the family room

4 Likes

Pleasantly surprised. That was a big effort.

2 Likes

3 Likes

That was a really satisfying win - not just because it was our first conf road win in like a decade, but because Ucla players acted like such whiny b!+#s all game.

6 Likes

I’m ashamed you guys doubted ESPN analytics! :wink:

Seriously, the flight home should be just a little nicer.

Now’s the time for Craig to review all the games we could have / should have won if we hit our foul shots. Get some attitude and determination to play a bit better.

Keep fighting!

4 Likes

proud of these guys, that was a dark 10 days or so. Whatever the rest of this season holds, I hope this is a confidences builder.

3 Likes

It was so nice to see the smiles and joy from the players and coaches.

3 Likes

The CU game next week looms large - could be a huge boost. And it sounds like Rollie is close to coming back.

2 Likes

I think the ASU loss really ended tournament hopes for us. And then there’s losing to SC. With our free throw shooting woes I see an early NIT exit.

1 Like

I don’t think it did. Winning at Colorado would be a quad 1 win, which would seriously boost their chances. Utah also still has the game at Oregon, which would also be a quad 1 opportunity. Just because you have a bad loss doesn’t mean you are doomed. Especially if Utah finishes with a winning record in conference play. A win at Colorado would put Utah at .500 in conference play (8-8). If they were to go 3-1 in their last 4 (loss at Oregon), they’d finish 11-9. Plus that is 20 wins. Winning out gets them to 21-10 (12-8), which should be good enough to get an at large berth considering Utah’s two huge non-conference wins vs. BYU and at Saint Mary’s.

1 Like

Beating CU in Boulder will do a lot for the Utes’ hopes. If they don’t, they probably need to win out from there (which is doable) and win a conf tourney game or two in order to be inside the bubble. If they end up squarely on the bubble, I have little hope.

2 Likes

We just won our first road game in over a year. I don’t see us sealing the deal. I’d love to be wrong.

1 Like

Our last conf game at Pauley Pavilion for now. Way to finish out out.

…and here’s one from the past, just for good measure…

3 Likes

Foul shots is an appropriate description of their Free Throws

6 Likes

I didn’t see the game, only heard the ending on the radio. Now I see that Deivon came within a half inch of outracing all those UCLA defenders and simply making the game-winning layup. Impressive. And Carlson was exactly where he needed to be at exactly the right moment. Watch how #35 takes the inbounds pass, flips it to Deivon, then follows the play to the end. Nicely done. Great poise and focus!

5 Likes

Watched the game highlights a few times. A few Bruins fans claimed Carlson committed an over-the-back foul on that put-back rebound – not even close. And, that rebound was over Stefanovic, who stood under the basket instead of blocking out.

4 Likes

My concern at that moment was whether or not the ball went out of bounds on the backboard lip, but there was no discussion about it. There was a question about whether or not it hit the shot clock, but nothing about the backboard.
In any case, closing out conference play at Pauley with a win!

2 Likes

Top of the backboard is in and has been for a long time. Unless it goes over, then it’s inbound.

4 Likes

No. Their first CONFERENCE road game. Utah has two road wins this year because they also won @ Saint Mary’s. Which has turned out to be a pretty fantastic win right now, considering the fact that Saint Mary’s is undefeated in WCC play and is currently ranked in the Top 25. They (not Gonzaga) are the best team in that league this year. Also, don’t underestimate that 22-point win over Washington State in December. Wazzu is now ranked in the Top 25 and sitting in second place in the Pac-12. They’re also currently #31 in the NET, so, if they move up just one spot (likely to happen because they play @ Arizona on Thursday), that becomes a Quad 1 win for Utah. Utah now has 3 wins over teams currently ranked in the Top 25 BTW.

2 Likes

Yeah. Boo hoo. There were tons of calls missed in that game. I don’t really wanna hear it

1 Like