Utah vs SMU -- KVH tip-in

I still remember watching this at home – I can’t remember how loud I was, but very loud when KVH tipped the ball it.

SMU dominated much of the game, up around 17 or so with perhaps 6 minutes left then slowed it down letting the Utes back into it. Amazing ending and then had another buzzer beating finish the next night against the Lobos with Majerus leaping into the air in celebration.

1 Like

Here you go. For this one, the worst outcome was going to OT.

2 Likes

That sounds like Steve Brown and Frank Layden with the call. So great to hear Frank’s voice.

2 Likes

My (now ex-) wife gave me a lot of crap over my volume level when the kids were in bed on a school night. The first of two miracles by KVH in that tournament.

5 Likes

Oh man! Great times! They didn’t carry the SMU game in the East Coast, but “broke in,” when it looked like Utah would be upset (I’m pretty sure we were ranked top 5 or 6). When Van Horn hit the shot, I nearly “spiked” my 2 year old daughter, who I had just rocked to sleep. (I refrained and she has gone on to live a healthy life - soon to graduate from Utah’s MSW program this Spring).

I still maintain - and will go to my grave believing - that if Alex Jensen had not gone on a mission, that ‘97 team would have won it all.

4 Likes

A few years ago I nearly blew the roof off of the house when Van Dyke hit that buzzer beater at Pauley Pavilion to complete a rather improbable and amazing comeback. Wife still gives me grief over that one.

4 Likes

The 97 team was more talented. The 98 team was more cohesive, perhaps.

1 Like

Keith Van-at-the-Horn

Watching the 93 byu football game with a close friend. He had his new born son on his lap when Yergeson hit that 55 yarder. He jumped up causing his baby to roll across the floor. The kid was fine, he didn’t even make a peep.

2 Likes

I was in Provo for the 1993 win. Those of us cheering for Utah made a hell of a lot of noise while the rest of the stadium was sitting in stunned silence.

3 Likes

See, that’s where I have more evidence that Wife 2.0 is a major upgrade. One of my boys had stopped over and we watched the last 12 minutes or so together and all whooped it up during the end of that one.

2 Likes

Ah man, Dave Bliss with Kenny Thomas (who battled AJ Bramlett [went to UA] at my high school for the state title). Lobos atthe Pit were great then (as was Utah). Some epic battles (although this was tourney in Vegas which was also good times).

4 Likes

Oh yah…I remember. This is why I’m a huge basketball fan.

2 Likes

I’ll never tire of watching Parker’s last shot or the 2 KVH buzzer beaters.

We all have our own preferences, but I’m grateful that I still love college hoops and have close friends and family members I attend the games with in the Hunty.

2 Likes

Also liked the call Doug Gottlieb made when he said “watch the trail-man”.

3 Likes