Utah vs Iowa NIT thread

I predicted we’d be up by double digits at the half. Up by 9 right now in the second half so I hope we keep our composure.

It’s a bit of a track meet, but if the shooting holds up we will win.

2 Likes

Has anyone noticed how awful Ben Carlson has been? Gabe shooting every time he touches the ball right now.

2 Likes

That bald ref has been making stuff up all game. I grade him a D.

4 Likes

Having been there in person, I can 100% confirm he is very suspect, because his calling was INSANELY one sided. SalUTE and I were together and so much of the time we looked at each other, clueless as to what the hell he was doing.

BTW EVERYONE WHO CAN needs to get up on Wednesday… It was awesome

5 Likes

Damn straight. If there was ever a time to have a huge crowd, it’s Wednesday. Branden Carlson’s final home game for a chance to go to the NIT Semis.

9 Likes

salUTE isnt available to go to the game on wednesday with me. ANyone else want to go? I sit up in the top row of the lowert bowl next to the Wheelchair slots… SalUte can confirm the great seats and ease of access. If oyu hit me up bfore about 11:45 this morning I can get a 10 ticket since I went last night… but at Noon the sale goes off.

2 Likes

We have our 3 seats and will be there.

Go Utes!

2 Likes

I didn’t know Moose Stubing was still reffing

5 Likes

wow… THAT is quite the callback! One has to be a certain age to have any hope of catching the reference

1 Like

Will never forgive Moose for the infamous call that ruined Kelvin Upshaw’s greatest game of his life against Utah State.

2 Likes

I talked to Kelvin at a FB practice 20 years ago, and HE brought up that play vs Utah State.

I loved some of those personalities in the WAC - Don “the Bear” Haskins, Stormin’ Norman Ellenberger, always some clown in a Hawaiian shirt coaching the Rainbow Warriors.

But no love for Moose.

2 Likes

Remind me what he did to Kelvin

As I remember the play, Tann Tueller (the coach’s son) was an annoying twit, baited Kelvin into a shove and Moose kicked him out.

(I can’t actually remember who the ref was, but anything bad that happened could be attributed to Moose, who seemed to relish angering Ute fans like a villain in pro wrestling.)

2 Likes

He couldn’t hold a candle to Irv Brown. I remember him kicking out Bankowski because he “thought” he saw him throw a punch. In reality, an opposing player had locked up Bank’s arm and he was just pulling free. Add to that Brown’s propensity for making the “big call” at the end of a game, like totally missing on a block-charge call.

6 Likes

While many of us get weary of reviews disrupting the flow of the game, I must admit that it is good that plays involving a potential flagrant foul/ejection must be reviewed.

I think of incidents like Kelvin’s ejection, the Scruggs/Mitch Smith incident in Laramie in the WAC tourney, (and one could also consider Royce Olney’s “steal” against Andre Miller), where replay could have clearly helped in making more reasonable and accurate decisions, and think how those games could have ended differently.

2 Likes

Looking forward to the Runnin’ Utes versus “Cream” Abdul Jabbar matchup if the Utes get past VCU

2 Likes

Indiana State is a really tough team, and the NIT Final Four is being played less than an hour from their campus.

1 Like

It’s actually about an hour an a half drive from their campus. I agree however that it would be a de facto road game. What a better time to finally overcome their road woes right?

I’ve got six tix. I wouldn’t miss it for the world