Utah v byu Game Day

jenkins couldnt hit anything tonight

Mahorcic injury looked brutal. Could hear his cries of pain throughout the arena.

Whatā€™s the prognosis on Marco? Really needed him especially for rebounding.

1 Like

I loudly booed Lohner every chance I got. Then I saw that he was short tempered and a whiner. We are going to have a fun few years of disliking him.

5 Likes

Anybody know how many RMs Pope has on his roster? Just a wild guess, but I suspect heā€™s not really headed in that direction in his recruiting. (Unless itā€™s somebody on a mission who he really wants, and is already committed to another school.)

1 Like

Yep. He learned his chops while playing at Kentucky.

Heā€™s not to Frank Arnold or Roger Reid despicable level yet, but heā€™s more sinister than they were.

1 Like

That was a great basketball game to be at in person. Hunty was hopping, curtain was goneā€”hope people continue to attend.
Utes really only had 6 players who should play major minutes. And with Dusan outā€”the way he left it will be weeks if not the whole season, they will have to rely on Lahat, who does not have a body to bang with the Big Boys.
Brenchley was the #2 player in Utah when recruited & his first year he was a good enough shooter to get minutes over Plummer. Now he has no offensive game.?
But credit Smith for finding a way to use them.

Great effort by the other 6ā€“they looked exhausted at the end.

Marco was still in a walking bootā€”sprained ankle.

4 Likes

Relatively good news. The way he was screaming I thought it might be an ACL/MCL/Meniscus combo.

The team was better than I expected, but got a little sloppy in the 2nd half, that was basically the difference. When we started trapping, BYU broke the trap, and still we were close. When Lucas started hitting from 3, Jenkins heated up, too.

It takes recruiting a couple of years to get going - weā€™ll be alright.

1 Like

Marco is the wing who didnt play tonight. Youre thinking of Mahorcic.

Makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

We definitely missed Anthony, the rebounding. Lahat played long enough to come down with multiple rebounds.

Hereā€™s what I saw last night - Brenchly taking it to the rack without fear or hesitation. I donā€™t remember seeing anyone get yanked for a mistake.

Guys played hard, maybe above what would have been their ceiling under the last coach. Maybe thatā€™s why it was competitive.

2 Likes

You know BYU was also playing without their starting center. Take a 6ā€™11 guy out of the middle and it hurts. Using injuries is just and excuse.

Did he get hurt hanging your TV for you?

7 Likes

Where did I say weā€™d win if we werenā€™t down three rotation players?

1 Like

John, I think the point all of us are trying to make is that these Utes played hard, with lots of heart, and defended quite well against a ranked team that is quicker and more talented. They held BYU to 44% from the field and 16% from three-point range. Itā€™s a credit to Utah that they did so well while undermanned. BYU outplayed the Utes and won. But we like what we saw from our guysā€“which is a team that was pretty much pieced together in the last six months or so.

5 Likes

For numbers-oriented folks.

Utah is now 129-133 against BYU all-time and 76-52 when playing in Salt Lake City ā€¦ this was Utahā€™s first loss against BYU inside the Jon M. Huntsman Center since Dec. 10, 2011 ā€¦ Utah is now 1-1 when losing the battle of the glass after being out-rebounded 45-28 ā€¦ Utah allowed 18 offensive rebounds that turned into a 17-7 edge for BYU in second-chance points ā€“ including a 48-28 advantage in the paint ā€¦ first time Utah has committed less than 10 turnovers (9) since Feb. 25, 2021 vs. #RV/RV UCLA (9).

I liked what I saw out of Stefanovic. 6ā€™7" guy with great speed and springs. Seems to have a decent basketball IQ too.

3 Likes

Given the way this all started last spring with the sound of the doors on the transfer portal reminding me of the turboprops on a C-130, the fact we were even in the games gives me a very tiny slice of hopeā€¦like really tinyā€¦like you need an electron microscope to see it.

But itā€™s there. Getting to .500 overall is going to be the bar to this season.

GO UTES!!!

STEAL A WIN IN GALEN CENTER!!!

Heā€™s the future.

I didnā€™t feel that bad losing to BYU and thought we really gave them a game. The only thing that really sucked was how many zoobs were in the Hunty and quite a few of them were pretty hard to take, particularly the kid who clapped in my face as I was exiting and said ā€œGo Cougsā€.

Smith got the most out of what he had, and Iā€™m very encouraged by the performance I saw last night. I really am trying to be cooler about BYU fans these days but man they tested me last night. They were pretty smug considering that they struggled to beat a team picked to finish in the cellar of the P12. But of course, Y fans have to point out that they beat a P12 team, as usual. If the P12 really sucks then where is the value in their wins?

1 Like

I didnā€™t expect much out of this team this season, and I certainly had low expectations last night. I am not the least bit upset Utah lost. A win would have been sweet, of course. But I am impressed with Smith and what he is getting out of what is essentially a patchwork team.

5 Likes

Your Utes played hard - I think Smith is going to prove to be a pretty good coach when all is said and done.

BYU struggled some from the field, and your defense did a good job making someone besides Barcelo beat you. Historically BYU hasnā€™t always had two good guards that can handle and dish like they do this year - and Lucas played well to make up for Barceloā€™s role being reduced.

I think Utah is going to surprise some teams this year. I know Iā€™ll be surprised if they end up at the end of the season where they were picked at the beginning.

I get the Lohner hate - dude signed and then begged out. What I donā€™t have context for is the claims of BYU ā€œcheatingā€ to get him - Iā€™ve heard everything from him being paid to BYU hiring his dad. So far, all rumors without any substance to them from what Iā€™ve seen. But like I said - I understand the hate for the first reason.