Utah student arrested for threatening to detonate a nuclear reactor if we didn't beat SDSU

No, really.

Sounds like they need a health and welfare check prior to charges getting filed.

3 Likes

SEC bid incoming shortly. Y’all are showing signs of the type of fanbase that works well down here.

Joking aside, I hope they get the help they need.

1 Like

Person needs help. No game ever is worth that sort of threat.

3 Likes

Fan. Short for fanatic.

3 Likes

[Edit: She] took classes in the building (Merrill engineering btw) AND knew where the reactor is! But, it’s not that type of reactor.

Claims it was a joke and posted on Yik Yak (are they trying to be Tik Tok?). Probably not something to joke around with these days. Guessing [edit: she’ll] get a fine, community service, and barred from certain courses …

1 Like

Yeah, just like bomb jokes on airplanes… Sheesh!

1 Like
  1. It’s a she, not a he.
  2. You’re correct on the reactor. Actually, there used to be two of them, both research sized. I took Nuclear Engineering up there my senior year, and did a little project on adding cooling fins for the larger “TRIGA” reactor. The idea was to get it up to being able to produce 100 Kw, IIRC. I sincerely doubt this young lady has the chops to override the safety controls for the TRIGA and send it over the edge just because she knows where it is. And, even then, it wouldn’t be a nuclear explosion. An explosion that damages the building and possibly releases radioactivity is imaginable, but it would have to be a pretty big bomb.
  3. As others have said, this girl needs help.
3 Likes

Yep, sorry - I read an article with a wrong pronoun and it stuck. I took a quick tour once of TRIGA. While in grad school, I did some nuclear forensic work using Texas’ reactor. And yes, there are numerous safety controls in place with these (all all) research facilities (even if she had full access). And agree, a dirty bomb would he the likeliest outcome but still very difficult nonetheless.

1 Like

This individual is taking sports WAY too seriously

1 Like

This feels like hyperbole of a dumb student. Doubtful charges will stick long. Easy case to settle.

The best days are when the Utes win and the other school does not. All of a sudden, no one wants to talk football and it’s a peaceful day.

3 Likes

This reminds me of an old episode of Barney Miller.

They arrest a college student who has made a nuclear bomb. It was unarmed. The detectives were suspicious that it maybe really wasn’t a nuclear bomb because the perp was a C student. They end up with the bomb in the squad room and have collectively decided that it isn’t real, when Deitrich walks in and says “hey, where did you get the atom bomb?”

4 Likes

Always liked Barney Miller. Good balance of comedy and a bit of social insight

3 Likes

Is she single? Asking for a friend.

3 Likes
4 Likes

It’s interesting to note this tweeter likely hasn’t read the terroristic threat code in Utah, as it pretty much negates their argument.

(4) It is not a defense under this section that the actor did not attempt to carry out or was incapable of carrying out the threat.

First amendment defenses trump state code.

3 Likes

I can guarantee you, the guys who run the Popehat Twitter account know more about First Amendment Law than you. It is completely irrelevant what a state law says is illegal if that law violates the United States Constitution.

2 Likes

Disagree. True threats are specifically excluded from First Amendment Rights. A threat to detonate a nuclear device is advocacy of imminent lawless action.