Utah Pre-Bowl hype and discusion

Just found this very compimentary article on the Northwestern fan base and the comments so far are measured and respectful.
Hope we play the the Willdcats better this time
Go UTES!!

Are we gonna have anyone left to play in this game? At least, anyone that we’ve even heard their names before?

Gonna be a lot of underclassmen playing. Seems like the only teams that will field their whole team will be those in the CFP

1 Like

Is Northwestern facing a mass exodus like this as well? I literally know nothing about them.

Gotta admit; my interest in this game is diminishing pretty rapidly.

1 Like

Bowls have outlived their purpose. Time to adopt the FCS system.

1 Like

I’m allways happy to see the Utes play; except the last time we played NU… Anyway, last game of the year is melancholic and bitter sweet. Like watching all the ragged, enbattled riders rounding the arc de triomphe bell round ending the TDF

2 Likes

…you know those players we’ve talked about being on the milk carton, that might be the team we send to the field to play in Vegas in a couple of weeks.

I think, starting with CU 2 deep, this is where we are for the bowl. Who am I missing (red is out, orange is ? [I’m not sure about injury])? Barnes is portal amd will play with Bottari at backup. Nate is portal but won’t. I can’t keep track of all the injury status, but transfer portal is easier to follow. NFL announcements are also pretty well recorded here. For transfers, i personally recognize 7/14. 6 were on the two deep (mind you, Barnes/Nate are likely now 3/4 if you consider Rising/Rose).

1 Like

Is Miles Battle not playing? I haven’t seen/heard anything that indicates he is done. Also, pretty sure I read somewhere where Kyle said that Rose is QB2 and will get playing time because it doesn’t affect his redshirt.

1 Like

Kyle said yesterday in speaking to Bill Reilly that Rose can play in bowl game without being impacting his medical redshirt.

3 Likes

Then I say get him some time in the game. Can he play WR or DB?

1 Like

Between the NFL jump, the transfer vortex, and the injuries, we will be testing “Next Man Up” in a way never seen before.

To quote the Great Samuel L in Jurassic Park, “Hold onto your butts.”

3 Likes

What I heard was NFL (Sr and all) and Whit said none of the NFL guys would be playing. I could also be wrong or got bad info from someone else.

It is intereting to me that a bowl game doesn’t impact a medical redshirt. Hope Rose gets some reps. With Barnes in the portal, usually he wouldn’t play, but with him 1) graduating and 2) we need him, I guessed they worked it out.

2 Likes

Hopefully he’ll play, but maybe since his eligibility is finished there aren’t news bit about whether he is staying or going.

1 Like

He said on Twitter tonight he’s playing

2 Likes

Yep, playing.

https://twitter.com/milesbattle2/status/1733658306038956204

1 Like

Great. Thanks! Good news. That looks like the source my friend used. And good to hear it from the player since Whit said NFL guys weren’t going to play (maybe he meant early NFL guys? Who knows, he sounded tired).

1 Like

It’s basically Utah’s 2nd and 3rd string vs Northwestern’s starters in this game.

The transfer portal will play a key role in Northwestern’s bowl game. Offensive guard Josh Priebe entered the transfer portal. He would be a major loss for Northwestern if he ends up leaving before the bowl game as he has been the team’s best offensive lineman this year. Outside of Priebe, Northwestern has only had three others enter the portal, none who are crucial to the team this year.

On the other hand, Utah has seen a mass exodus since the end of the regular season. It had three key players declare for the NFL draft (Devaughn Vele, Cole Bishop and Sione Vaki), and 13 players have entered the transfer portal. Of those players, many of them have played large roles this season. Last year’s starting quarterback Cam Rising has been out for the year, and this year’s starter Bryson Barnes is in the portal; however, he will play against the ‘Cats. The backup to Barnes is quarterback Nate Johnson, who is also transferring.

JaTravis Broughton, a cornerstone in the secondary for five years, and first-year Mikey Matthews are in the portal. Matthews was a four-star wide receiver out of California and has been an important pass catcher this year, finishing third on the team in receiving yards. With the Utes having loads of talent either declaring for the draft or in the transfer portal, it is likely that the Wildcats will not see them across the line of scrimmage in Las Vegas.

3 Likes