Utah is headed to the Las Vegas Bowl

Sounds like our Vegas opponent may be Northwestern after all… better matchup for us IMO.

1 Like

It’s official

Your Utes are headed to the @LasVegasBowl!! 🎰🎲🃏

🆚 @Utah_Football vs Northwestern
🗓️ Saturday, Dec. 23, 2023
📍 Las Vegas, NV | @AllegiantStadm
🎟️ https://t.co/QLDdOPGTzu
🏨 https://t.co/Y7PeMPchw0
🔗https://t.co/SET08hVFsW#GoUtes pic.twitter.com/ZG97jOF7pT

— Utah Athletics (@utahathletics) December 3, 2023
2 Likes

Sure hope it goes better than the last time Utah played them.

4 Likes

Yeah that was probably my worst in-person bowl memory. Just awful. Payback time.

5 Likes

I hate to use the zoob’s #1 excuse but that game against Northwestern…the Utes were by far the better team and we just kept beating ourselves. Seriously, the Utes should have won that game by three scores.

4 Likes

Haven’t seen a NW game this year so no clue what they are about yet. I hope they are weak against the run!

And as dinged up as we are I still hope for some revenge for that Holiday Bowl and a win over a B10 team.

3 Likes

TBH I was a bit worried about Maryland because they have a great run D and their offense can score. NW should be a better matchup. Don’t expect a lot of points though lol.

4 Likes

put some gas in the Bottari Ferrari

2 Likes

Dead heat with the 2010 LV Bowl against Boise St. for me.

We’re going to pass on attending this opportunity. Too close to Christmas.

4 Likes

that was the coldest game I’ve ever been to. There was little to no drainage at QualComm where our seats were and the water just puddled where our feet were.

Brrrrr

2 Likes

We were seated under a little overhang, so lucked out on that part. But the Utes second half performance was just abysmal after things were looking so great in the first.

Yeah it’s weird timing for sure. I wasn’t too sure about it initially, but ended up booking to fly back home on the 24th.

1 Like

I need to figure out if I can afford to go to Vegas for this. It might be fun.

1 Like

Well, Jason Shelley was quarterback. And Zack Moss was out too. That third quarter was possibly the worst 15 minutes of Ute football since the Fassell days. This year’s first quarter of the Arizona game this season was bad too.

8 Likes

I’ve been trying to repress the memory, but I recall that there were multiple serial turnovers, every one of which NW turned into touchdowns, resulting in the Utes blowing something like a 30 point lead. Am I close?

5 Likes

Something like that. It was my wife’s and my fault, though. In our original seats in the rain Utah was doing great, then for the third quarter we decided to sneak into some of the club seats under the overhang to stay dry. The wheels came off, so we moved back to our original seats but the damage was done.

9 Likes

This year, you’re going to get wet and you’re going to like it!

1 Like

So…watching the game while sitting in the fountains at the Bellagio? :wink:

3 Likes

An 80+ yard TD on a scoop and score turned things completely around early in the third quarter and Utah never recovered.

2 Likes

They will be without their storied head coach, Pat Fitzgerald, the architect of that loss 5 years ago.

1 Like

That’s not so good, though. With Fitzgerald they have only one winning season since that game, and last year only won one game. Most pundits thought that winning more than one would be hard for them, but the replacement coach turns out to be better than Fitzgerald (at least so far).

This year the lost to Iowa (by 3), Duke (by 24), Penn St (by 28), Nebraska (by 8), and Rutgers (by 17). They beat UTEP (by 31), Minnesota (by 3), Howard (by 3), Maryland (by 6), Wisconsin (by 14), Purdue (by 8), and Illinois (by 2).

So, some ups and some downs. Do we get the team that only beat Howard by 3 or do we get the team that beat Wisconsin by 14. Who’s to say.

6 Likes