Utah invited to join AAU!

This is a huge day for the U, this is such a monumental accomplishment that will have a far-reaching impact on the University. I really can’t overstate just how big of a deal this is for the U.

This is incredible, here’s the statement from the AAU:

13 Likes

That is awesome.
One cannot express how superlative University of Utah is in multiple academic disciplines. We also have a remarkable venture capitalist business association and achievements putting us among top universities for generating patents out of research.
I don’t have a link at this moment, but, if someone else wants to elaborate…
This has to go hand-in-hand with outstanding athletic programs.

7 Likes

This is an incredible achievement for the university. It is something that the university has been working toward for years and years. It is my understanding that AAU membership opens the door to another category of research funding.

6 Likes

Gaining AAU membership is extremely difficult and never guaranteed. It’s strictly by invitation only, and a school can get kicked out, like Nebraska was in 2011. I know Utah had been actively seeking membership for years, but recently heard the U had given up for the time being. What a marvelous surprise!

6 Likes

It may sound silly, but I’ve been waiting for this for a while. What an accomplishment!

9 Likes

This is truly monumental day for the U.

7 Likes

That is huge news. An enormous day for the university as an academic institution. That’s the most important club stateside.

7 Likes

It is simply huge. What a great thing!

8 Likes

I enjoy Utah sports and spend a lot of discretionary money to attend games. But truly this is a big deal. Research and education are what great Universities are all about.

All Utahns ought to be proud of this prestigious acknowledgment.

9 Likes

I am a graduate of both the University of Utah and Syracuse University. SU got kicked out a few years, which caused me great sadness, since my PhD mattered when it was an AAU school. But this makes up for it.

8 Likes

YES.

The level of butthurt over this news is amazing. I will never understand the need to constantly compare one’s self to their bigger brother.

4 Likes

So petty. So so so so petty.

1 Like

So it says we have been invited but haven’t yet accepted it. Do you think we hold out and try to negotiate terms to our liking before we accept? I mean don’t you think we at least should try to bring TDS along with us since we know they might be a little butt hurt that they didn’t even get a courtesy call!

5 Likes

It would have been more delicious had they lost their accreditation a few years ago.

2 Likes

:smile::grin::laughing:

1 Like

I LOL’ed

BYU won’t get AAU (the most prestigious US academic) accreditation as long as they restrict academic freedom there. So never

3 Likes

They are not, and I doubt will ever be considered a research University.

They are primarily a great landing place for undergrads looking for a good education, for really cheap if they are LDS. They have a couple good grad schools; law, business.

Why is this such a big deal?